How important is an away rotation to be competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eutychus

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I was wondering how crucial an away rotation is to get into the top programs (namely columbia). I may be able to squeeze a rotation there in November but it's very iffy. My grades are excellent but I won't have any away rotations and i don't feel comfortable with that for some reason. Does doing an away elective at one institution help you become more competetive at other places as well? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. I didn't do any away rotations, and neither did several of the other residents in my class. There isn't any doubt that if you go there and really shine it will help your application, but it is also easy to shoot yourself in the foot...

I have to agree...I'm still in the process, but seriously looked at doing the away rotation (at Columbia no less). The dept chair at my institution recommended doing it if it's a program you're sold on in order have something to talk about in the interviews. BUT I decided against because a.) it's bloody expensive if you don't know someone you can stay with, and even if you do it's a gamble if they won't let you in 2/2 unrefundable app fee b.) you can certainly shoot yourself in the foot and c.) in November, your app is done, letters are in...the only place where it will help you (and this is good if you're sold on the place) is Columbia itself and really nowhere else. For the money, I'd just take relaxing and doing well on Step 2! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
I was wondering how crucial an away rotation is to get into the top programs (namely columbia). I may be able to squeeze a rotation there in November but it's very iffy. My grades are excellent but I won't have any away rotations and i don't feel comfortable with that for some reason. Does doing an away elective at one institution help you become more competetive at other places as well? Thanks!

Personally I did away rotations at 2 different instutions. In both cases, I was under the impression that I did a good job. I think away rotations are helpful so you can assess the program. It gives you first hand experience about the residents/faculty.

In terms of whether it helps ou be more competetive, yes and no. For one of the programs, I think it pretty much clinched an acceptance (at least that's my general impression). While the other program, away rotation students were a dime a dozen, and although the attending I worked for really liked me and insisted on writing a LOR for me; I don't think it honestly helped.

In the end, I matched at a program that I didn't do an away rotation.

So in your situation I'd forgo an away rotation because it'll be late in the year.

Sorry, double post.

Good to hear it shouldn't really affect ''away competitiveness''. One more elective choice available for another field :D

BTW, am I the only one considering both neurology and neurosurgery ? I know it's early (beginning of 3rd year), but I feel I'll still be hesitating between both fields for quite a while.