How Important Are Extracurriculars?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pre-Medguy1995

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a first-year medical student (who like everyone else ;) ) wants to do Ortho. I do research and school and that's pretty much all I have time for.

Everyone else here seems to do a lot of volunteering, club leadership, and club activities and I'm not sure how they have the time. My question to those of you that either matched or have experience with those who matched ortho, is how important are these ECs/Volunteering/Club Leadership. Should I find a way to make time or just focus on these two?

Help and Thanks in Advance

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a first-year medical student (who like everyone else ;) ) wants to do Ortho. I do research and school and that's pretty much all I have time for.

Everyone else here seems to do a lot of volunteering, club leadership, and club activities and I'm not sure how they have the time. My question to those of you that either matched or have experience with those who matched ortho, is how important are these ECs/Volunteering/Club Leadership. Should I find a way to make time or just focus on these two?

Help and Thanks in Advance

They’re important insomuch that they give you an insight into various fields when you’re a first year and don’t really know anything.

But wrt matching in ortho, Step One, how you do on ortho rotations, interviews, letters of rec, AOA, and med school rank are probably more important.

I would say it’s more important to focus on research than on any clubs right now.

Reactions: 1 user
Research > all other extracurricular activities