Importance of Orthopedic Residency Program Prestige

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

almo0318

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be applying to match in an orthopedic residency. My significant other lives near a program that's in a big city but it is not very prestigious. We have been long distance throughout medical school and she has a great job where she lives. We would like to start our lives together after medical school, if possible. Would it be a bad move to try and match there instead of a more prestigious program? What kind of repercussions would I run in to? In other words, how would my career be effected by matching at a non prestigious program vs a prestigious one.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Slow down bud, you're not even in med school yet. This would be a good thing to think about 2-3 years from now after you've taken your boards and done most or all of your clinical year.

Reactions: 1 users
I will be applying to match in an orthopedic residency. My significant other lives near a program that's in a big city but it is not very prestigious. We have been long distance throughout medical school and she has a great job where she lives. We would like to start our lives together after medical school, if possible. Would it be a bad move to try and match there instead of a more prestigious program? What kind of repercussions would I run in to? In other words, how would my career be effected by matching at a non prestigious program vs a prestigious one.

Thanks!

Any residency program will train you to be a good, competent orthopaedic surgeon. I would not worry about that---finding a supportive partner in life who can deal with you through residency is much harder. ;) so if you have someone and you want to improve your life together by being closer, go for it. Program prestige only matters if you are dead set on an academic career, but even then you can create your own opportunities in a non-prestigious program (as long as you have supportive staff and an opportunity, even a small one, for research). I've been through all of this and let me tell you, long distance may be better for your partner's sanity because they don't have to deal with an ortho resident on a daily basis, but you might not make it through residency without them! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Slow down bud, you're not even in med school yet. This would be a good thing to think about 2-3 years from now after you've taken your boards and done most or all of your clinical year.
"We have been long distance throughout medical school"

I think he just hasn't updated his status. :)

Reactions: 1 users
I just would like to 2nd this. I'm struggling with location versus prestige. I interviewed at some "well known" programs that are in pretty bad locations (far from family, weather not ideal, etc).

What are your thoughts on: (1) better location/closer to family/SO but not as prestigious versus (2) extremely prestigious but the location is not ideal?

I just would like to 2nd this. I'm struggling with location versus prestige. I interviewed at some "well known" programs that are in pretty bad locations (far from family, weather not ideal, etc).

What are your thoughts on: (1) better location/closer to family/SO but not as prestigious versus (2) extremely prestigious but the location is not ideal?

It depends on what kind of career you see for yourself vs closeness to family/SO. MOST residents end up practicing in the community. For that virtually any program will make you ready. Going to a highly prestigious program is nice if you have aspirations for an academic position, becoming chairman of a Dept etc. And ANECDOTALLY, the residents of places like that may not get the operative experience you would at lesser known community programs because they're always behind the fellows.

If it was me I'd lean to being closer to family.

It depends on what kind of career you see for yourself vs closeness to family/SO. MOST residents end up practicing in the community. For that virtually any program will make you ready. Going to a highly prestigious program is nice if you have aspirations for an academic position, becoming chairman of a Dept etc. And ANECDOTALLY, the residents of places like that may not get the operative experience you would at lesser known community programs because they're always behind the fellows.

If it was me I'd lean to being closer to family.

Thanks Pompacil. I never thought making a RoL would be so hard!

Sorry I picked the wrong status. I am a third year.

Long distance in residency is very hard, have seen it among my co-residents. If your significant other is moving with you it would be very nice to be near family, especially if you're considering having kids at some point during residency. Having people around to help with child care is a big deal, especially when you're living on a resident's salary.

You should pick the program that is the best for for you, but location is a very important consideration. It is nice at the end of a long shift to come home and your significant other has dinner ready. I know that when my wife is away, it's a lot lonelier coming home exhausted to an empty apartment.

Are your stats such that you get to turn down ortho programs for being not good enough?

Are your stats such that you get to turn down ortho programs for being not good enough?

No. I think I will be competitive. Regardless, this post was more about prestige of residency and whether going to a "lesser" program would effect my career enough to continue a long distance relationship for another 5-6 years.

No. I think I will be competitive. Regardless, this post was more about prestige of residency and whether going to a "lesser" program would effect my career enough to continue a long distance relationship for another 5-6 years.
It would take a hell of a lot of prestige to make me even consider doing long distance for 5-6 years. It sounds like maybe you plan to settle in that area post residency anyhow. If that is the case you may be somewhat better off as your attendings may have connections that can help you get a local job.

I don't have any actually valuable advice on this, no advice from experience at least. I just wanted to say that I think it's refreshing that people openly talk about valuing prestige more often in the specialty forums. In pre-med forums that gets shut down, but it's so obvious that it can be a huge deciding factor for people. Just like money oftentimes is. It may all be shallow (up to debate), but at least it's honest.

For what my opinion is worth, OP, I would choose location in your case. Because Ortho is already really hard to match, so any spot is pretty prestigious and I couldn't imagine 9 straight years of long distance in a relationship that ends up working (especially with residency being a part of that). It's your chance to solidify a really great future by being with your lady and having a great career.