How Heavy are LOR weighed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yanks26dmb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've got a LOR from the Dean of a mid-tier US Med School...how much weight does a LOR from someone in his position hold?

For anyone wondering..I'm not going to the med school he presides at due to location/desire to be closer to family/committments/etc.

Members don't see this ad.

I've got a LOR from the Dean of a mid-tier US Med School...how much weight does a LOR from someone in his position hold?

For anyone wondering..I'm not going to the med school he presides at due to location/desire to be closer to family/committments/etc.
I am sure they have more weight than a standard LOR from a random professor. However, I wouldn't bank on a recommendation to get you in, especially if you are a marginal applicant for that school. I also wouldn't expect to get into a single school, so apply more broadly unless you are ok with applying more broadly a second cycle if you are not successful the first time.

I am sure it will be good. LORs generally won't make an app, but they can definitely break it. But a dean from a med school will probably hold a little more weight. Again, I doubt it will make the app, but it is probably still awesome.

Members don't see this ad :)
The value of such a letter will depend upon:
1) the context in which you know him (eg "dated my daughter," "was my next door neighbor", or "I've known him since he was a baby and dandled him on my knee" = zero usefulness vs he can attest to your academic prowess in a class he taught, you TAed one of his labs and performed brilliantly, plus you engaged in a research activity under his supervision, showing excellent problem-solving skills, critical thinking, and creative input = application gold) ,
2) the personal characteristics he can attest that you have which are valuable in a physician, and
3) whether his letter gives a good explanation for any weaknesses in your application that you can't overcome.

A great letter is worth even more if the dean at the other school knows him personally.

If he really knows you, it will help. LORs in general, if really stellar, do stand out at our AdCom meetings.

Conversely, even a single bad LOR from any writer will kill your chances.

Has anyone gotten bad letters of recommendation sent?