How has coronavirus affected your University?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know/have any idea how covid will affect the start date for incoming D1s?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know/have any idea how covid will affect the start date for incoming D1s?

I don’t think it will.. worse case scenario, if schools will have to bring back the D4s for an extra semester (highly doubt most will do this), they might just offer the first D1 semester online, but to my knowledge, it’s still business as usual

At my school, all D1s are starting as usual except the classes will likely be moved to online at least according to the dean last week. I feel so bad for current D3s. Their summer externship opportunities are all cancelled and they will be missing out on the most productive clinic time (ie summer). Manikin boards and DLOSCE probably won't be an option for them either come next year.

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t think it will.. worse case scenario, if schools will have to bring back the D4s for an extra semester (highly doubt most will do this), they might just offer the first D1 semester online, but to my knowledge, it’s still business as usual

Schools are just navigating around the current covid19 crisis. There will be a covid20 crisis this fall and winter, and the CDC is projecting it to be worse, because it will coincide with the flu season - from beginning to the end. Schools could be in much worse position in 6-8 months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Wow
  • Sad
At my school, all D1s are starting as usual except the classes will likely be moved to online at least according to the dean last week. I feel so bad for current D3s. Their summer externship opportunities are all cancelled and they will be missing out on the most productive clinic time (ie summer). Manikin boards and DLOSCE probably won't be an option for them either come next year.

This is basically the best time to be a D1. You get to take all the toughest courses without showing up in person to any lectures and it can all be done online. It definitely sucks as a D3 (going into D4) that our clinical experience is taking a hit. However, I feel even worse for D4s who are struggling to find answers to graduation requirements, fighting states to accept alternative forms for licensure and even when that is done, nobody is going to hire them because of the awful economic downturn and lack of demand we are about to experience. I'd rather be in my position any day than a D4's.

Reactions: 7 users
This is basically the best time to be a D1. You get to take all the toughest courses without showing up in person to any lectures and it can all be done online. It definitely sucks as a D3 (going into D4) that our clinical experience is taking a hit. However, I feel even worse for D4s who are struggling to find answers to graduation requirements, fighting states to accept alternative forms for licensure and even when that is done, nobody is going to hire them because of the awful economic downturn and lack of demand we are about to experience. I'd rather be in my position any day than a D4's.
yes confirmed, it sucks to be a D4 right now...

What about being a rising D3? I feel that also sucks. I think being a rising D1 (incoming student) or D2 is the best right now, since didactics are probably no different.

Louisville June 1 earliest.. interesting. This is actually true?? I figure Midwest schools will act together with similar plans as part of a regional approach. Seeing that a lot of states will begin reopening May 1, and schools are part of phase 2 of trumps plan, I would say the absolute earliest for most schools would be May 15 (2 weeks after beginning of phase 1)... this is if trends stay down for 2 weeks in that particular state, and PPE is retrieved for schools again. Regardless of when it is, there will probably also be rules for at least a bit on distancing... like no more than 50 people in the preclinical labs, only so many operatories running at a time, and likely no in-person lectures. Assuming these precautions may last all summer with things going back to almost normal at start of fall semester if everything is as planned.

There is also the issue of complying with the ADA/Governor's orders of doing only emergency treatment - hard to run a dental school under those circumstances.

Reactions: 1 user
Keep any specific school updates coming, this has been helpful to get an idea of what's going to happen to other schools

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Keep any specific school updates coming, this has been helpful to get an idea of what's going to happen to other schools

UTHSC is doing rolling graduation for D-4’s. If they have completed the necessary requirements they will be given a diploma. Those who haven’t will be allowed to do “certain requirements” via simulation soon. Not sure about those who haven’t finished requirements and need patients to do so...

Honestly, being a D1 right now is the best. Interest rates frozen, money is already dispersed so not worried about “next paycheck” and 80% of classes are didactic so instead of wasting all day in lecture I get to be home and study whats necessary on my own time. honestly, other than maybe creepin into summer break, can’t complain about COVID-19 too much. And other than it’s ruined me because didactic online classes are the best. It’ll be hard going back to useless lectures.

On a serious note, I really and truly feel sick for D4s. And D3s. What a mess. I wish them all luck and really hope this all gets resolved soon.

Reactions: 9 users
Honestly, being a D1 right now is the best. Interest rates frozen, money is already dispersed so not worried about “next paycheck” and 80% of classes are didactic so instead of wasting all day in lecture I get to be home and study whats necessary on my own time. honestly, other than maybe creepin into summer break, can’t complain about COVID-19 too much. And other than it’s ruined me because didactic online classes are the best. It’ll be hard going back to useless lectures.

On a serious note, I really and truly feel sick for D4s. And D3s. What a mess. I wish them all luck and really hope this all gets resolved soon.

There is more to dental school than just taking classes. Meeting new classmates (plus socializing on weekends), faculty, senior students, staff at the dental school, and so much more will not be available as a D1 who studies online. The D1 tuition covers the cost of using the school’s buildings and resources - so that’s a lost ROI on the cost of attendance. Yes, no interest paid on loans for first 6 months, you will be taking classes from your bed for the first semester or 2 - but the value lost going to school is much greater than the value of staying home as a student. In my opinion, it’s not great time to be a D1 now, but it’s better than being a D4.

Reactions: 5 users
There is more to dental school than just taking classes. Meeting new classmates (plus socializing on weekends), faculty, senior students, staff at the dental school, and so much more will not be available as a D1 who studies online. The D1 tuition covers the cost of using the school’s buildings and resources - so that’s a lost ROI on the cost of attendance. Yes, no interest paid on loans for first 6 months, you will be taking classes from your bed for the first semester or 2 - but the value lost going to school is much greater than the value of staying home as a student. In my opinion, it’s not great time to be a D1 now, but it’s better than being a D4.

Eh.... I'm married and have two kids. Those are my weekends. My social life isn't what it used to be, and I'm not really in dental school to have it feel like "undergrad" again. And I already stay in touch and associate with my classmates i'm friends with. Online has been great because it just gives me a way better balance between school and home life. And I'll have 3 more years to associate with faculty and staff, not really too concerned. D1 is full of instructors from other departments anyway to cover a lot of your so ever "essential" didactic courses. But, obviously that's my situation. Not everyone is in the same position. I'm just glad i'm a D1 instead of an incoming D1 or D4. With a time like this its easy to focus on all the crap that has come because of the virus, but overall I recognize it could be a lot of worse and my situations not all that bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Eh.... I'm married and have two kids. Those are my weekends. My social life isn't what it used to be, and I'm not really in dental school to have it feel like "undergrad" again. And I already stay in touch and associate with my classmates i'm friends with. Online has been great because it just gives me a way better balance between school and home life. And I'll have 3 more years to associate with faculty and staff, not really too concerned. D1 is full of instructors from other departments anyway to cover a lot of your so ever "essential" didactic courses. But, obviously that's my situation. Not everyone is in the same position. I'm just glad i'm a D1 instead of an incoming D1 or D4. With a time like this its easy to focus on all the crap that has come because of the virus, but overall I recognize it could be a lot of worse and my situations not all that bad.

Good for you.

80% of all D1’s will be taking out $100-125k in loans (including moving to/living in a new city) just to take classes online.

Let that sink in for a second.

That debt will start accruing compounding interest after 9/30. Married or not married, the debt will not discriminate. Covid19 has made an already existing problem much much worse for dental students.

Reactions: 8 users

All of the things you listed are negligible. Paying for dental school is basically just paying for a piece of paper that allows you to practice dentistry. You don't really learn **** until you get into the real world. I would have happily paid my regular tuition to learn on my computer all day and possibly have a job that first semester if I were lucky. That would have been a major stress reliever. If you go to dental school for a social life, you must have some pretty screwed up priorities. Plus, there's plenty of time to network and form lasting professional relationships with faculty after D1 year, especially in all the pre-clinical lab courses required in the D2 year.

Reactions: 3 users
All of the things you listed are negligible. Paying for dental school is basically just paying for a piece of paper that allows you to practice dentistry. You don't really learn **** until you get into the real world. I would have happily paid my regular tuition to learn on my computer all day and possibly have a job that first semester if I were lucky. That would have been a major stress reliever. If you go to dental school for a social life, you must have some pretty screwed up priorities. Plus, there's plenty of time to network and form lasting professional relationships with faculty after D1 year, especially in all the pre-clinical lab courses required in the D2 year.

I disagree.

If I’m paying $100-125k a year for a “service”, then I would expect 100% of what the cost covers in return to be “available” to me, even if I don’t use all of it.

This has nothing to do with the dental school. It’s the basic rules of buying any service. Schools are saving cost on faculty and staff D1’s need, while still collecting the full tuition and cost of attendance from D1’s.

Even if you are looking at this from “just getting your diploma” perspective - and leave it all to the real world.... not only you’ve over-paid for your D1 cost in full, but you have been “sold and denied” a large portion of what you paid for. It’s equivalent to throwing money away (plus interest). The schools should have adjusted the tuition and cost for the “services they are denying” to D1’s - which is basically free money to the schools.

If you still don’t get it, then I suppose you’re a perfect example of what the schools want D1’s to think.

Reactions: 8 users
I agree. A DDS degree is just a piece of paper. The same is true about an ortho certificate, which I spent 2 years to obatain….it’s just a piece of paper that allows me to get highly paid ortho jobs at the corp. You’ll learn a lot more from your jobs. Therefore, I think one should go to the cheapest school. When I was a dental student, I usually woke up late and skipped a lot of the science classes, especially during my first and second years. It’s more effective for me to study at home (because of having better sleep every night) than going to classes and falling asleep in classes.

Schools are not going to reduce the tuition because they know the students need them. This online teaching method should give many D1’s the opportunity to just stay home with their parents and save $$$ on rents. And with the time the students save from online study, they can get a part time job (food delivery is in high demand now) to reduce the amount of money they have to borrow.

My kids, who are in HS now, actually get a lot more work done from online studies. They have more time to study for AP and SAT exams. With more school work done in much shorter amount of time, my son has more time to play online video games with his friends.

Reactions: 2 users
I would’ve preferred majority online D1 and being able to work as an assistant part time somewhere. At my school as a D1 several days a week were no Sim lab and mandatory lectures 8-5 on cell bio, genetics, immunology and mostly non dental related topics. Esp for the first 6months of school. No benefit from attending. Majority of my class thought time was better spent elsewhere.

UTHSC is doing rolling graduation for D-4’s. If they have completed the necessary requirements they will be given a diploma. Those who haven’t will be allowed to do “certain requirements” via simulation soon. Not sure about those who haven’t finished requirements and need patients to do so...

Rolling graduation for D4s at Louisville as well. We were told that the earliest date for degree conferral is in May for those that are done with everything followed by in August and in December. The earliest ADEX date for our school is apparently in late June according to the administration, so we are stuck until July at least as far as getting fully licensed.

Last edited:
  • Wow
I would’ve preferred majority online D1 and being able to work as an assistant part time somewhere.
A lot of dental assistants are unemployed now, and there is hiring freeze across the board at almost all dental offices in the country. If anyone is hiring, they are hiring highly experienced dental assistants. So unless a D1 had an extensive dental assisting experience, they can’t bank on working as a dental assistant anytime soon. Maybe at Amazon, a grocery store or other highly in demand essential jobs.

I disagree.

If I’m paying $100-125k a year for a “service”, then I would expect 100% of what the cost covers in return to be “available” to me, even if I don’t use all of it.

This has nothing to do with the dental school. It’s the basic rules of buying any service. Schools are saving cost on faculty and staff D1’s need, while still collecting the full tuition and cost of attendance from D1’s.

Even if you are looking at this from “just getting your diploma” perspective - and leave it all to the real world.... not only you’ve over-paid for your D1 cost in full, but you have been “sold and denied” a large portion of what you paid for. It’s equivalent to throwing money away (plus interest). The schools should have adjusted the tuition and cost for the “services they are denying” to D1’s - which is basically free money to the schools.

If you still don’t get it, then I suppose you’re a perfect example of what the schools want D1’s to think.

Except that’s not quite it. I think your missing some of the argument. Instead, it’s like if someone was selling you an appliance or even a car. They offered you two for the exact same price. One is super nice, runs great and is brand new. The other doesn’t work, scuffed up and needs a lot of maintenance. Your basically saying you want to get the “full” experience of having that item so you decide to buy the one that doesn’t work and spend the time to fix it up yourself. Your not going to be a mechanic but you decide you don’t want that money to “go to waste”.

Same thing with garbage didactic courses. We’re not going to school to be virologists, neurologists, epidemiologists, pulmonologists, nephrologist etc. so, I’ll get the “essentials” at the convenience of online and move on. It’ll cost me the same either way. This way is way less stressful, less useless work, and I have a lot better balance between other responsibilities. All while getting the same exact credit.

Now, if they were skipping out on clinical stuff and relevant things, that’s a different story. But that’s not what we’re talking about.

Except that’s not quite it. I think your missing some of the argument. Instead, it’s like if someone was selling you an appliance or even a car. They offered you two for the exact same price. One is super nice, runs great and is brand new. The other doesn’t work, scuffed up and needs a lot of maintenance. Your basically saying you want to get the “full” experience of having that item so you decide to buy the one that doesn’t work and spend the time to fix it up yourself. Your not going to be a mechanic but you decide you don’t want that money to “go to waste”.

Same thing with garbage didactic courses. We’re not going to school to be virologists, neurologists, epidemiologists, pulmonologists, nephrologist etc. so, I’ll get the “essentials” at the convenience of online and move on. It’ll cost me the same either way. This way is way less stressful, less useless work, and I have a lot better balance between other responsibilities. All while getting the same exact credit.

Now, if they were skipping out on clinical stuff and relevant things, that’s a different story. But that’s not what we’re talking about.

I think you cornered yourself with that analogy.

Every pre-dent who applied to dental school last cycle had the opportunity to talk to someone/a financial counselor at the school they interviewed at. If the pre-dent “paid attention”; he/she was told what the typical first year of dental school “expected cost” is. That’s when the school was literally telling the pre-dent... “here are our numbers based on w, x, y and z”. Once the pre-dent got accepted and chose that program, Covid-19 jumped in and gave the schools the opportunity to say... “our numbers are still the same, but it’s only y and z now”.

If this was a grocery store, it’s like buying 2 apples for the price of 4, or 5, or whatever the equivalency is. The pre-dent has no say in this situation, he/she is just happy they are in dental school. It would never dawn on them the school is getting away/taking advantage of the covid-19 situation.

In the real world, the same thing is happening between dentists and dental insurances/corporations. But that’s another topic.

I think you cornered yourself with that analogy.

Every pre-dent who applied to dental school last cycle had the opportunity to talk to someone/a financial counselor at the school they interviewed at. If the pre-dent “paid attention”; he/she was told what the typical first year of dental school “expected cost” is. That’s when the school was literally telling the pre-dent... “here are our numbers based on w, x, y and z”. Once the pre-dent got accepted and chose that program, Covid-19 jumped in and gave the schools the opportunity to say... “our numbers are still the same, but it’s only y and z now”.

If this was a grocery store, it’s like buying 2 apples for the price of 4, or 5, or whatever the equivalency is. The pre-dent has no say in this situation, he/she is just happy they are in dental school. It would never dawn on them the school is getting away/taking advantage of the covid-19 situation.

In the real world, the same thing is happening between dentists and dental insurances/corporations. But that’s another topic.

I don't think these people know who you are, Supreme Leader.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
I don't think these people know who you are, Supreme Leader.
RaggedFrequentKusimanse-size_restricted.gif

Okay, regardless of that stuff... Still post any news you get this week about your schools on here!

Let me fix this analogy...you actually are going to be a mechanic, however you are only going to work on transmissions. All the extra information you get fixing the rest of the car may not be 100% applicable to being a transmission specialist, but having the general idea of how the full picture works makes you a better transmission specialist. Now swap out car for human body or health sciences, or sciences in general and then swap of transmission specialist for tooth specialist or dentist.

Any updates for specific schools regarding when D4s will allowed back in clinic/sim lab to finish graduation requirements?

Any updates for specific schools regarding when D4s will allowed back in clinic/sim lab to finish graduation requirements?

I doubt any school knows for sure, but each is putting together a plan and I'm sure there are widely different plans right now. Reach out to your student government for school-specific information.

Any schools requiring D4 students to get tested for COVID-19 before returning?

Any schools requiring D4 students to get tested for COVID-19 before returning?

This seems futile to me. First, I’m doubtful a school could suddenly get that many tests. Even if they could, it proves they don’t have it that single day . But what about all the staff at the school? What about all the faculty? What happens when they all go home and interact with thousands of different family members and grocery store workers? Are they going to test everyone every single day? Are they going to test patients too?

I’m not sure testing would serve much purpose. I wish we could keep it an isolated bubble, but people interact with others way too much. They can’t even keep the president and the small circle around him virus-free.

This seems futile to me. First, I’m doubtful a school could suddenly get that many tests. Even if they could, it proves they don’t have it that single day . But what about all the staff at the school? What about all the faculty? What happens when they all go home and interact with thousands of different family members and grocery store workers? Are they going to test everyone every single day? Are they going to test patients too?

I’m not sure testing would serve much purpose. I wish we could keep it an isolated bubble, but people interact with others way too much. They can’t even keep the president and the small circle around him virus-free.

All excellent and thoughtful points.

Some dental schools have their clinics and facilities within a medical campus and they can be incorporated into the wider covid protocols the adjacent hospitals and/or medical school are using for their patients and students? Is that a path to get around the challenges you mentioned?

Thanks for your insight. I was thinking the same thing. Seems futile to me too smh

All excellent and thoughtful points.

Some dental schools have their clinics and facilities within a medical campus and they can be incorporated into the wider covid protocols the adjacent hospitals and/or medical school are using for their patients and students? Is that a path to get around the challenges you mentioned?

No reason for medical schools to be bringing any student back. They are all doing online didactic and they never needed clinical students on campus

A lot of us at Louisville just graduated on time. I personally don't know anyone staying behind. There might be a few. Now onto this crushing job market where every job post says "at least one year of experience required." Corporate offices are still signing people but without start dates as far as I know.

Last edited:
People graduating this year can take the restorative portion of their licensure exam on manikin instead of live patients. Do you think if this will continue to be an option of next year in 2021?

People graduating this year can take the restorative portion of their licensure exam on manikin instead of live patients. Do you think if this will continue to be an option of next year in 2021?
We don’t even know what will happen in 2-3 weeks from now, let alone 1 year ahead.

Last edited by a moderator:
I paid for instrument fee over $2100 and they told us that since we will use those tools to make up our pre-clinic sessions, no refund.

• Hmm
Hopefully Trump extends the pause on student loan debt once wave 2 hits (unfortunately). At least that will be a big help to us all

I think he will extend as a political move to boost his re-election chances, and get more votes from people with student loans. Would you vote for him if he did?

A lot of people will default on their student loans either way, if unemployment remains high through next year - which probably will be.

I think he will extend as a political move to boost his re-election chances, and get more votes from people with student loans. Would you vote for him if he did?

A lot of people will default on their student loans either way, if unemployment remains high through next year - which probably will be.

I will vote for him again either way.

Political move or not, a halt on student loan interest is unprecedented, and should be something that is appreciated by anyone affected by this. It is not the end all / be all solution for the economy but it is certainly helping me out, just as stimulus checks are helping those under X amount of income. People are forgetting that any form of aid is better than none

I am saving around $7000 plus the 1200$ stimulus check, and am very thankful for that.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: 6 users
Has anyone gone back to their school clinic yet? Are any dental school clinics open again for patients?
Also wanted to hear opinions on whether people think we will have normal patient load when we all get back-my classmates are saying we will not have enough patients because patients will be scared to come in.

Has anyone gone back to their school clinic yet? Are any dental school clinics open again for patients?
Also wanted to hear opinions on whether people think we will have normal patient load when we all get back-my classmates are saying we will not have enough patients because patients will be scared to come in.
At least your school is being frank with you about this. Our school just keeps assuring us we should be able to graduate on time when we skip our breaks and start working maybe weekends and evenings when we get back in July. But this question of whether we will even have enough patients in the first place is very much an elephant in the room

This isn’t the case everywhere. It’s up to the school if they want to do a live patient or manikin based exam this year. There is a lot of conflicting information being thrown around between licensing exam boards and schools where they will be held. The additional problem we are dealing with is that state boards have to get on board with this as well. Many states are still requiring a live patient exam for licensure regardless of what is being offered by the regional test.

Yes has any school reopened clinic?

Yes has any school reopened clinic?

UK opened their clinics today. I believe they may be one of the first!

Edited to add that they may be doing it in phases. The D4s who still have to complete requirements are going in on different days based on what procedures they have to do.

Last edited:
UK opened their clinics today. I believe they may be one of the first!

Edited to add that they may be doing it in phases. The D4s who still have to complete requirements are going in on different days based on what procedures they have to do.

That’s 1 out of 64 dental schools. Those who open first are probably the smaller and southern schools in the country. UK class size is 65 students - so they can handle soft opening better than NYU and the likes.