How has COVID Changed Dental School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stumpdentist

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Recent May 2020 Grad here. Last spring was a hectic time to say the least. Trying to finish requirements virtual, missing graduation, etc. It sucked. But I would assume that the classes of 2021 to 2024 have it even worse.

So my question....how is your school adapting to COVID?

What are they doing right?
What are they doing poorly?
For D3s and D4s....does your clinical situation change your plans for after graduation?

Members don't see this ad.

Class of 2021 here.

Our school reduced our requirements by half for most things. We also have to pair up with a classmate and take turns assisting/seeing our own patients so that we reduce the amount of ppl in the building at once.

The school has taken lots of steps to see that everyone stays safe. However, it’s just really hard to see the patients that need the dentistry because we aren’t allowed to see our patients full time like we would pre COVID.

Our state’s board of dentistry will not let us opt for simulated boards. We have to attempt patient boards. Everyone is worried about exposure to COVID with all of the aerosols present with patients’ mouths open all at once. The board has not been flexible at all.

Overall—this year has been a time sink for lots of my classmates. We are living in the land of the unknown at this time. Everyone seems to be dragging along, trying to stay busy.

Reactions: 1 user
"Our state's board of dentistry will not let us opt for simulated boards."

This is really interesting. At least last year, I believe some states allowed for manikin exams to count toward licensure?

Members don't see this ad :)
Class of 2021 here.

Our school reduced our requirements by half for most things. We also have to pair up with a classmate and take turns assisting/seeing our own patients so that we reduce the amount of ppl in the building at once.

The school has taken lots of steps to see that everyone stays safe. However, it’s just really hard to see the patients that need the dentistry because we aren’t allowed to see our patients full time like we would pre COVID.

Our state’s board of dentistry will not let us opt for simulated boards. We have to attempt patient boards. Everyone is worried about exposure to COVID with all of the aerosols present with patients’ mouths open all at once. The board has not been flexible at all.

Overall—this year has been a time sink for lots of my classmates. We are living in the land of the unknown at this time. Everyone seems to be dragging along, trying to stay busy.
similar case here, also D4.

Thank God our state has allowed for manikin WREB. Our requirements are not going to get done, I do not see any possibility for greater than 75% of the class. they have told us we can possibly make things up on typodont in sim clinic to get out of here.

we also have cut our clinic spots by 50%, and have a bunch of assisting rotations instead at many of those times.

I feel the worst for D3s though. They had their entire clinic cut by a long time, and even now are in sim and other classes 1 day a week. It is borderline impossible for many students to come out as semi-competent practitioners from our school in my opinion. For any of the GPs they will need a lot of mentorship and hand holding to get through if they do not pursue residency.

That was one of the reasons I ended up applying for perio.

The silver lining for me this year though was I did enjoy the few months off during school as challenging as it was for society. It was kinda like a summer break, we had some online stuff but nothing too serious.

IN
similar case here, also D4.

Thank God our state has allowed for manikin WREB. Our requirements are not going to get done, I do not see any possibility for greater than 75% of the class. they have told us we can possibly make things up on typodont in sim clinic to get out of here.

we also have cut our clinic spots by 50%, and have a bunch of assisting rotations instead at many of those times.

I feel the worst for D3s though. They had their entire clinic cut by a long time, and even now are in sim and other classes 1 day a week. It is borderline impossible for many students to come out as semi-competent practitioners from our school in my opinion. For any of the GPs they will need a lot of mentorship and hand holding to get through if they do not pursue residency.

That was one of the reasons I ended up applying for perio.

The silver lining for me this year though was I did enjoy the few months off during school as challenging as it was for society. It was kinda like a summer break, we had some online stuff but nothing too serious.
Interesting, does it seem like more individuals in your class are opting to complete a GPR or AEGD?