How hard is it to match into haem/onc with h1b visa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gangstasanta

Reaction score
Is it really next to impossible, or can it be done, if you engage in research during residency, and are a decent candidate ?

Members don't see this ad.

Is it really next to impossible, or can it be done, if you engage in research during residency, and are a decent candidate ?
Is much harder but not impossible, first the number of programs that accept h1b is much lower than programs that accept J1, and most of the programs that accept h1b are ultra competitive.

But I think if you are very competitive you may have a chance, otherwise what I did and much more helpful later is I did a hospitalist for few years and then converted to green card and then apply to hem onc.

This will make your job search much easier and you can also moonlight during fellowship as well.

Were you doing research during your hospitalist years?

Did the fellowship programs say anything about the gap since residency?
Not really, yes I did research during that time and improved my CV and I think you get expericience, but some finantial stability... My interviews multipled when from being on h1b to when I applied later.

So I will say it's double as you have to a plan, choose an academic hospitalist group that is with the cancer center or close by

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is much harder but not impossible, first the number of programs that accept h1b is much lower than programs that accept J1, and most of the programs that accept h1b are ultra competitive.

But I think if you are very competitive you may have a chance, otherwise what I did and much more helpful later is I did a hospitalist for few years and then converted to green card and then apply to hem onc.

This will make your job search much easier and you can also moonlight during fellowship as well.
not an option for me, as i am indian and it can take decades to get a gc....

Oh yes that's true I did not have that issue. Any ways you can apply with h1b and see how it goes.

Good luck

Harder but not impossible. I was discouraged to apply with H1b but I worked to improve my CV and matched!. I could only apply ~34 programs and got IV from 9 programs. Good luch

Harder but not impossible. I was discouraged to apply with H1b but I worked to improve my CV and matched!. I could only apply ~34 programs and got IV from 9 programs. Good luch
thank you for your response! Did you also apply to haem/onc?

Yes, I am PGY6 now. I could only apply in 34-36 programs and got 9 IVs.
Thank you! Another question, were you in a university program or a a community one? And the programs that take in h1b applicants are they usually high tier, mid tier or low tier?

University, mid-tier. If you have good application and present yourself well in the IV, any program will take you

University, mid-tier. If you have good application and present yourself well in the IV, any program will take you
Sorry just to clarify, was your residency university mid tier or was the uni which accepted you into fellowship mid tier? And if it's the latter what tier was your residency university?

I'm an IMG who matched with an H1B. As Sushi5 said, the number of H1B sponsoring programs is limited. I applied to ~20 programs and received 8 interviews and matched. It is harder but not impossible.

I went thru the same thing 2 years ago. Had about 10 interviews, these are top 20 programs. If you have good qualifications, it's not an issue.

Same problem here... good luck for both of us this year!

Hello, just wanted to know how many years did you work as a hospitalist? I am headed on the same path...