How hard is it to get a good residency in the Bay Area?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I was just wondering if any of you had any tips or suggestions or complaints about how to get a residency in the Bay Area(not oakland or bad parts of the bay area.....like marin county, san francisco, and maybe like hayward area. Also is Kaiser the best residency in the bay area? if so how do I get into that expecially if I want to go into a multidisciplinary group practice where I can do 90-100% surgery all the time?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just wondering if any of you had any tips or suggestions or complaints about how to get a residency in the Bay Area(not oakland or bad parts of the bay area.....like marin county, san francisco, and maybe like hayward area. Also is Kaiser the best residency in the bay area? if so how do I get into that expecially if I want to go into a multidisciplinary group practice where I can do 90-100% surgery all the time?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

That's a difficult question to answer. It's probably as difficult as getting a good residency anywhere. Do well in school, pass your boards, and work hard and you have a chance.

As I've often said, I think it is more important to focus on the training and less important to focus on the location as a very short amount of time can determine so much.

I'd say the above requirement makes your chances very difficult.

I agree. I didn't see that part. Podiatry, like any other surgical specialty, requires a fair amount of clinic. This is where patients are worked up for surgery and where post op patients are seen. And realistically, the more surgery you do, the more clinic you'll need.

After being on orthopaedics for three months, I'm getting very good at the clinic thing:)

I agree. I didn't see that part. Podiatry, like any other surgical specialty, requires a fair amount of clinic. This is where patients are worked up for surgery and where post op patients are seen. And realistically, the more surgery you do, the more clinic you'll need.

After being on orthopaedics for three months, I'm getting very good at the clinic thing:)

I guess that percentage is a bit high I have nothing against the clinic AT ALL I just really love surgery! :) But I would be fine even with like a 60/40 surgery to clinic. I was just asking since ideally (assuming doing well in school passing boards and getting into a good residency) I would like to make it back to the bay area since I grew up there-that's where I am coming from.

Thanks for your input!

I guess that percentage is a bit high I have nothing against the clinic AT ALL I just really love surgery! :) But I would be fine even with like a 60/40 surgery to clinic. I was just asking since ideally (assuming doing well in school passing boards and getting into a good residency) I would like to make it back to the bay area since I grew up there-that's where I am coming from.

Thanks for your input!

Yes, we are a surgical subspeciality in a sense, but we also have alot of MEDICAL issues that we deal with also. The 60/40 ratio might be achieved in a multi-speciality group, but it would be more realistic for a 40/60 ratio. The reason is that a lot of the issues that we deal with can be treated conservatively. It would require you to be in a trauma group to achieve those high surgical numbers and it would also take time to develop that reputation as the "go to doc" to get such a high surgery to clinic ratio.

As far as the Kaiser residencies, they are VERY competetive to get into. As has been alluded to before, get through the basics first.

Yes, we are a surgical subspeciality in a sense, but we also have alot of MEDICAL issues that we deal with also. The 60/40 ratio might be achieved in a multi-speciality group, but it would be more realistic for a 40/60 ratio. The reason is that a lot of the issues that we deal with can be treated conservatively. It would require you to be in a trauma group to achieve those high surgical numbers and it would also take time to develop that reputation as the "go to doc" to get such a high surgery to clinic ratio.

As far as the Kaiser residencies, they are VERY competetive to get into. As has been alluded to before, get through the basics first.
I guess you could also get that high surgery ratio by referring out anything for which you don't surgery as your first line treatment. You could be sitting around a lot wondering how you're going to pay your bills though.

I would like to make it back to the bay area since I grew up there-that's where I am coming from.

Thanks for your input!

That's my point thought. Think long term. I turned down a residency program in my hometown because one offered in another state was much better training. I could have sold myself short and got OK training but it may have been more difficult to get a job in my ideal location. So instead, we moved FURTHER away from our home than we already were. But now, I'm getting great training and will have many options, including the option to go back home.

That's what I mean when I say do what it takes to get top notch training (no matter where it is). You'll have more options in the end. Just something to think about!

Do you plan on answering with advice or just playing?
Well, you have to ask realistic questions. "How hard is it to get top program X" is pretty tough to answer, esp when you haven't even taken one day of biochem yet.

...expecially if I want to go into a multidisciplinary group practice where I can do 90-100% surgery all the time? ...
...I have nothing against the clinic AT ALL I just really love surgery! :) ...
Oh really? You thouroughly enjoyed years of clinics and performed many foot surgeries as a pre-pod? How many cases have you scrubbed? :confused:
90-100% OR surgery is something you'll only find in gen surg or trauma surg specialties, and even a fair amount of them do more clinic. Most pods are 10-50% surgery. Typical ortho is maybe 40-70% surgery. You have to take the classes, do the clinics and clerkships, and figure out what interests you. Your opinions will probably change over the next few years, and they may not. Regardless, you know basically nothing at this point.

...I say do what it takes to get top notch training (no matter where it is). You'll have more options in the end. Just something to think about!
...As far as the Kaiser residencies, they are VERY competetive to get into. As has been alluded to before, get through the basics first.
This is good advice.^^

Top training programs are all competitive because it's pretty well known that they will give you elite skills and reputation. The ones in nice, popular areas of the country become even more competitive. It's fairly self-limiting to restrict yourself to one particular geographic area, but people do it every year - and a lot of those people scramble. Every year, there are honors grads (and we're not just talking OCPM's numerous 4.0 students :D ) that go for these programs and don't match them, so yes, they are quite competitive. IMO, the current 'top 10' podiatric surgical residencies would look something like this - in no particular order:

DeKalb (Atlanta)
West Penn (Pitt)
Penn-Presby (Phila)
UPMC (Pitt)
Grant (Columbus)
Kaisers (Bay Area)
PSL (Denver)
Orlando
Inova (Virginia)
Detroit Med Cntr

We are fortunate that there are many good PMS36 programs that give you great skills...
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=6091105#post6091105
...but those ten I listed above are among the highly competitive ones year in and year out. I'd imagine that Kaisers will get even more apps now that AZPod is increasing class sizes and Western will start to graduate a class in 4yrs.

It all depends on the national class sizes and where the graduating students want to go, though (ie: in a year where half of the top 50 overall residency applicants are from Texas, then the programs there will obviously be ultra competitive). Your best chance is just to do as well as you can in classes and clinics, pass boards, and if you want top clerkships/interviews, you then need to go above and beyond with additional reading, conferences, and research to really set yourself apart. You should also make a point to get networked a bit... pod is a small field, and who you know can occasionally be as important as what you know.

You also have to figure out what you want to do - both during residency and afterwards. Do you think you'll want to work in private practice or an academic setting after you finish training? Do you want to train more with pod or more with ortho? Do you want to do more academics and research... or more "learn by doing"?

Every program, even ones in the "top ten," have emphasis points... and weak points. Some might be very strong on diabetic salvage and research but very weak on trauma. Others might be excellent for trauma but fairly skimpy on advanced, or even common, elective cases. Some might have great numbers but you barely ever get to spend time in clinic to learn how to bill, chart, and handle post-op complications. In the end, you have to decide what programs are realistically available to you (based on your gpa, clinical skill relative to other apps), and then you pick the best overall program for your needs.

Last edited:
[quote/]Oh really? You thouroughly enjoyed years of clinics and performed many foot surgeries as a pre-pod? How many cases have you scrubbed? [/quote]

Haha yes actually, no im just judging from my shadowing experience i SUSPECT if what I saw which I think was a lot then I will enjoy both parts i am just curious cause like i said i love surgery. Sorry for offending anyone by asking aobut kaiser but as you pointed out I am only a lowly pre-pod :sleep:

just kidding!

but seriously like you mentioned with conferences and networking what are the/some ways to make myself stand out from my other fellow students so assuming i get good grades and pass the ol' boards? I know i have to get good grades and apply myself but I assume if it is anything like undergrad that will only get you so far. I have tried exhaustively to set myself apart from my friends and other students at my undergrad and I am just curious the ways to do that in pod school.

This is where common sense is more beneficial than a thread asking for answers.

Feli already told you how to do it. There is no golden ticket. Get good grades, pass boards, network, constantly try to improve yourself (be charismatic) and work your tail off at clerkships/internships.

I have never attended a pod school, but I can tell you all of the information is right in this thread or thru searches.

Now, let's assume despite your inability to do a search through the pod forums, that you are a reasonably bright person and you do really well in your classes. You could join student organizations. You could try to go to as many meetings as possible that had to do with practice management. You could talk to current pods who are running their own practice and get helpful bits of info from them.

You could begin reading journals outside of class and begin assimilating a working body of knowledge so that you could impress everyone.

Good luck