How far back did you go on your CV for ERAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rubyness

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have worked since age 16, but on my CV for ERAS I only included the professional jobs I've held since graduating college. I left out all the waitressing I did during and after college too.

How far back did you go? Should I put some of my other jobs back into the CV?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

rubyness said:
I have worked since age 16, but on my CV for ERAS I only included the professional jobs I've held since graduating college. I left out all the waitressing I did during and after college too.

How far back did you go? Should I put some of my other jobs back into the CV?

Thanks!

There is no hard and fast rule. In general though, jobs before college and those unrelated to medicine or clinical sciences (unless rather unusual and perhaps interesting) are not included. For example, I did not include swim instructor in mine.

I too have worked since I was 15 and was wondering the same thing. I left out the 3 years I worked at the front desk at my dorm, the year I worked in the comp sci undergrad office, the 3 years I worked at the animal clinic at home, and the summer I cleaned pay phones in downtown Chicago -- hell, I think maybe I should include for the "interesting" category.

And while I agree they don't relate to surgery/medicine (except maybe the animal clinic), but I feel weird about leaving off SEVEN years of work experience but having to say "none" for research. (I did research, but it was in industry and is located in the "employment" section.)

Granted I do not need to worry about this for a few years, but what about working for Lucent Technologies (Telecom) for 5 years, Working as a Tech Rep in South America for a Power company for 2.5 years, and a few years in the Navy. They are not medical jobs, but are something I would hate to leave out.

I'd definintely include the work in south america and the navy.

don't bother listing high-school jobs.

I worked as a nurse assistant and later as a respiratory assistant in med school. That's all I included.

If they really want to know about my paper route they can ask at the interview. :)

I mowed lawns from age 11-18. I included that and I also was a bag boy and checker at my local grocery store. You may want to include any household jobs you did as chores for your parents as well. :laugh:

They'll want to know about your jobs if it fills in gaps, is medically relevant or shows that you can work your tail off while getting along with most of the others.

I've also been working since an early age (14). I just put the jobs I've had since starting college.