How did this person obtain a residency despite their "criminal" background?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

carw1801

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
I'm not a resident (yet) but can you explain this scenario to me?

I won't get into specifics so that I don't reveal identities but I had an "instructor" in one of my undergrad courses who went to a Caribbean school and graduated but never matched. Back then, I Googled their name to see which school they went to and I learned the reason why they were teaching in college was because they were caught in a Medicaid scheme where they were "pretending" to be a doctor by seeing patients and writing prescriptions with the name/license of the doctor that hired them to be a part of this larger scheme. Basically hired as cheap labor to make tons of money for the husband/wife duo who ran the operation. I don't know what the consequence for him was but the husband/wife lost their license.

Anyway, I just googled that "instructor" to see what they were up to and they are now a PGY3!

Please explain how this is possible. Wouldn't a charge like that disqualify you for life? If you Google this "Dr.s" name now, you get their NPI # and then below it you get their name in that Medicaid fraud case.

I'm just curious with how he was "forgiven" for his misdeed.

Members don't see this ad.

I won't get into specifics so that I don't reveal identities but I had an "instructor" in one of my undergrad courses who went to a Caribbean school and graduated but never matched. Back then, I Googled their name to see which school they went to and I learned the reason why they were teaching in college was because they were caught in a Medicaid scheme where they were "pretending" to be a doctor by seeing patients and writing prescriptions with the name/license of the doctor that hired them to be a part of this larger scheme. Basically hired as cheap labor to make tons of money for the husband/wife duo who ran the operation. I don't know what the consequence for him was but the husband/wife lost their license.

Anyway, I just googled that "instructor" to see what they were up to and they are now a PGY3!

Please explain how this is possible. Wouldn't a charge like that disqualify you for life? If you Google this "Dr.s" name now, you get their NPI # and then below it you get their name in that Medicaid fraud case.

If this shocks you, you might be mightily surprised at the worse stuff you can find. I know of someone that was an Ortho resident that beat a woman with a baseball bat, causing a skull fracture. Went to another program and graduated (lot of steps in between). I know of another orthopedic surgeon (promise, not teeing off on ortho) that faked his own death, and was off the radar for YEARS. Now? In practice as a working orthopod again.

It happens.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
If this shocks you, you might be mightily surprised at the worse stuff you can find. I know of someone that was an Ortho resident that beat a woman with a baseball bat, causing a skull fracture. Went to another program and graduated (lot of steps in between). I know of another orthopedic surgeon (promise, not teeing off on ortho) that faked his own death, and was off the radar for YEARS. Now? In practice as a working orthopod again.

It happens.
Doctors are people and people often suck

Reactions: 7 users
Doctors are people and people often suck
At my stage, I'm still focused on numbers and this idea of "perfect."

One admissions director told me that to get into their program, I would need to demonstrate "excellence" so my mindset since then has been that they probably want that at each step of the way going forward but when I saw this, I was really taken aback.

Don't get me wrong the person themselves seemed like a nice guy but he also knew what he was doing was illegal. I'm just irritated that he can do that and get a residency and if we fail a class in undergrad, they make it seem like THAT is the end of the world and that's not even illegal!

It happens.

There is a lot of crazy **** that goes on among doctors, despite outward appearances. When I was in medical school, I can remember our ethics professor talking about some doctor who graduated from a different medical school in our state after committing vehicular homicide while drunk as a premed.

At my own school, there was a guy in the class behind me who collected money from everyone in his class and told them he was going to start a lecture scribing service. Instead, he took all the money and paid cash for a new Honda (and somehow, he wasn’t kicked out of school! He graduated and I heard he was having trouble matching initially…but it wouldn’t surprise me if he eventually got matched somewhere…)

Not to mention all the crazy **** I’ve seen in practice. I’ve mentioned previously here how I briefly worked at a PP in the south where some docs in the practice were doing drugs in their offices, groping patients and staff, committing massive billing fraud…some neurologist was literally living in his office and banging random women there at night. And on and on.

There’s lots of sleazy dirty sketchy **** I’ve encountered in medicine without looking too hard…it kinda shakes your faith in the whole profession after a point…

Reactions: 2 users
At my stage, I'm still focused on numbers and this idea of "perfect."

One admissions director told me that to get into their program, I would need to demonstrate "excellence" so my mindset since then has been that they probably want that at each step of the way going forward but when I saw this, I was really taken aback.

Don't get me wrong the person themselves seemed like a nice guy but he also knew what he was doing was illegal. I'm just irritated that he can do that and get a residency and if we fail a class in undergrad, they make it seem like THAT is the end of the world and that's not even illegal!
They want perfect...they'll generally accept "not actively murdering people".

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

I’ve been keeping up with your posts since you’ve gotten on here a couple weeks ago and you seem a bit immature and opinionated for a 40 year old admitted c/o 2028 DO student. Why don’t you just concern yourself with getting through the rest of your smp and enjoy the ride?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
There’s lots of sleazy dirty sketchy **** I’ve encountered in medicine without looking too hard…it kinda shakes your faith in the whole profession after a point…
I will refer you (and literally everyone) to @VA Hopeful Dr 's mic drop post 2 above yours.

There is a lot of crazy **** that goes on among doctors, despite outward appearances. When I was in medical school, I can remember our ethics professor talking about some doctor who graduated from a different medical school in our state after committing vehicular homicide while drunk as a premed.

At my own school, there was a guy in the class behind me who collected money from everyone in his class and told them he was going to start a lecture scribing service. Instead, he took all the money and paid cash for a new Honda (and somehow, he wasn’t kicked out of school! He graduated and I heard he was having trouble matching initially…but it wouldn’t surprise me if he eventually got matched somewhere…)

Not to mention all the crazy **** I’ve seen in practice. I’ve mentioned previously here how I briefly worked at a PP in the south where some docs in the practice were doing drugs in their offices, groping patients and staff, committing massive billing fraud…some neurologist was literally living in his office and banging random women there at night. And on and on.

I'm actually not surprised at all then.

They want perfect...they'll generally accept "not actively murdering people".
So I'll interpret this as getting a spot in medical school is super competitive but once you graduate, they want to fill up all those vacant residency spots and get you to become a busy worker.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.