How/etiquettes to shadow a PT? Where in Bay Area?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flyingsquirrel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, Is there a formal or proper way to go about shadowing a Physical Therapist?

Do you just call them and ask if there are any shadowing opportunities available?

What are some etiquette during shadowing?

Where are some good places to shadow in the Bay Area to see a wide variety of different kinds of Physical Therapy?

-Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I pretty much went through the phone book and made a big long list of nearby places I was interested in going to. I introduced myself over the phone, said that I'm a pre-PT student looking to observe/volunteer and asked if that would be an option. The receptionist will usually leave you hanging for a few days while they check with the therapist, so give them a call back after a week or something if they haven't gotten back to you. For larger facilities, such as hospitals, they probably have a volunteer coordinator of some sort. I would probably contact them first before contacting the PT director. You'll most likely have to show proof of your immunizations, go through an orientation of some sort (bio hazardous materials, emergency codes, etc).

Members don't see this ad :)
A great place to get started is in an acute in-patient (hospital) setting. A lot of the programs you will be applying to actually require you to have observation hours from a setting such as this. For instance (samuel merit, Csu fresno, UCSF and UoP) require 50 to 100 hours. Not only do they require this specific venue, you'll be able to see a wide variety of cases from amputations, post surgery, wound care, and a lot more. You should also get some experience in the out patient world as well, though a little more boring IMO.

The best way to start in a hospital is to get a list of local facilities and to contact the volunteer coordinator. He/ she will be able to tell you if they accept volunteers in P.T. For out-patient it wouldn't be a bad idea to draw up a resume and go knocking on doors. Talk to the office manager of P.T in charge.

Unfortunately for volunteers, they don't allow much hands on, just a bunch of watching. Of course that doesn't mean you won't learn. Ask lots of questions and be polite. Also, find a P.T who you respect and trust while you're volunteering. Share with them your motivations for going into P.T. and let them get to know you. You will need a good letter of rec from one of them eventually. :)

I don't see outpatient as boring at all. Outpatient was hands-on (ultrasound, e-stim, demonstrating exercise etc...) AND it was payed. Volunteering inpatient is hands-off, just shadowing. I saw less variety at both inpatient settings that I volunteered with (80% post-op 20% general exercise therapy)

I don't see outpatient as boring at all. Outpatient was hands-on (ultrasound, e-stim, demonstrating exercise etc...) AND it was payed. Volunteering inpatient is hands-off, just shadowing. I saw less variety at both inpatient settings that I volunteered with (80% post-op 20% general exercise therapy)

Paid? are you comparing being a physical therapy aide in a outpatient facility vs shadowing in a inpatient?

In which case I don't think that is a fair comparison.

Hey,

So I'm actually from the Bay and here's what I did. First, I was lucky that I had a connection to a PT from a sports medicine internship I did, but I jumped on that. So if you know ANY physical therapist from your time in the Bay, call them up and ask a favor. Second, try Kaiser and Alta Bates for inpatient hours. If you sign up for volunteering and specifically request PT (actually, for Kaiser, picking Ortho might be a better solution from what I've heard) then you should be good to go. Alta Bates is hard to get into, but once you do, you're guaranteed 100 hours because that is how their volunteer system works. For my inpatient, I actually got into a nursing facility via a doctor I knew. He was a physician there, so I just asked if he could give me the information for the Rehab department. After a few weeks of talking with the Rehab head, I was able to get a volunteer position.

Basically, what it comes down to is persistence, and not being afraid to use whatever contacts you might have. And if you don't have contacts, sadly it's best to just make a list, and start calling. Consider starting with places like nursing facilities, they can typically use an extra hand, and often it will apply to your inpatient hours.

Hopefully that helps!

Look around your area for clinics, rehab facilities, hospitals, nursing homes, and so forth, and send e-mails or phone calls to the PT or volunteer departments. Say you're a pre-PT student who would like to get some observation experience in, and don't be surprised if places tell you they don't have shadowing opportunities or you can only get a certain number of hours in. The best option is networking with people who have had experience hours, and to see where they have shadowed.

Volunteer positions are a great way to get shadowing experience in. Make sure you have references on hand as a lot of places require them. My aide and fitness/aquatics instructor work both required references. Ask a friend or co-worker to vouch for you and it should be it-- they want to make sure they're "hiring" someone whose ethics are up to par with the health profession. ;)

As for observation, every place is different-- some PT's prefer it when the student is seen and not heard, and others like it when students ask questions and show a willingness to soak up as much info as they can. Talk to people who have shadowed at various sites and ask them what to expect. I've shadowed at places on both poles of the spectrum, but it's always best to start out just silently observing in my opinion. Remember that shadowing is a learning experience so you know how PT's evaluate and treat a patient, and that a therapist has limited time with each person so they have to make the most of it. BUT-- don't be afraid to chat with the patients if they ask you a lot of questions, because a lot of them love having a third person sitting in!

How far in advance would anyone suggest you contact these places? I want to do my shadowing over the summer; is Feb too early to start calling?