How Does MBA affect MD schedule?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spiker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a premed trying to decide if MD/MBA is viable for me.

First, please check my understanding of regular MD schedule.

1-2 Years Preclinical
End of Summer Second Year Step 1
3-4 Years Clinical
Residency interview near end of first semester of 4th year
Residency match list finalize around the early second semester 4th year

It seems like most MD/MBA requires summer sessions how is that going to affect any research opportunies or studying for the step test? Is MBA very time intensive? (I am actually pretty good with business stuff...I have been the number 1 student in all my business class lol....). If I join a 5 year program is that going to leave me more or less time for research?

This is very confusing... I dont know who I would have to ask for those question. While MBA is one of my major interest, I am afraid that it would jeopardize my MD career.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd suggest you contact each individual school that you're looking at to get specific answers. A number of MBA programs are experimenting with 12 month accelerated MBA programs; at my med school you'd take a year of MD classes, then take a year off to do MBA work (or MPH), then back to MD classes; I don't see that this would impact time available to study for step exams.

Many MBA programs, I'd probably say most, offer some type of part-time schedule. An option, although I'm not sure it's a great one, would be to take MD and MBA classes concurrently. I completed many of my MBA classes at one of the toughest, top 10, MBA schools while working full time; 2 classes + work was difficult, 3 classes + work was close to impossible (my MBA grades were As & Bs). With med school, it'd be possible during years 1 & 2 to take 1 MBA class per quarter I think; meeting 3 hrs or so per week + 6-9 hrs outside work per week for this class. My program required 20 classes to graduate and allowed up to 5-6 yrs to finish all classes for part-timers. You'd need to do the math regarding starting MBA classes prior to med school possibly to get all classes done within the MBA program deadlines; I don't think you can commit to much during MS3, MS4, or internship.

An alternative which I'd suggest you consider is to focus first on medicine through residency training, and then do the MBA afterward; the thinking on this is that MBAs build on what you've learned in the business world (you'll get much more out of them after a few yrs work experience) and I've heard there's not much use for an MBA while you're doing 3rd year Med School clerkships and internship, during which you're just doing as instructed rather than using business/leadership skills.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am definitely interested also. The medical school I will be attending has a 4-year MD/MBA program that I'm looking into. I don't like the idea of losing the summer before medical school and after first year to MBA classes. However, I know the MBA would give me different employment opportunities, if I wish to take that route at some point in my life. I'm concerned about the concurrent MBA classes taken during the first two years of medical school being a detriment to my medical education. Any thoughts?