how does applying to the UK work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bagonnia

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if there is another thread on this. I am from the US and I have a BS degree. I want to apply to schools in London but I have no idea how to or which ones are good, or when the deadlines are.

Does anyone know what kind of stats they are looking for? please let me know!

Members don't see this ad.

bagonnia said:
I'm not sure if there is another thread on this. I am from the US and I have a BS degree. I want to apply to schools in London but I have no idea how to or which ones are good, or when the deadlines are.

Each school is different. Imperial college expects a 3.5 at least, just to apply, and also requires the BMAT. St. George's requires your qualifications to be certified by an outside company before reviewing your application. I haven't looked at the other London schools in depth.

bagonnia said:

There are five medical schools in London, all but one are allied to a constituent college of the University of London. All five award the same U of London medical degree.

Each medical school is distinct in its atmosphere, teaching style, social life and history - the curricula differ, some are integrated, systems based, PBL or hybrid mixtures. Three of the schools (GKT/King's College, Bart's/Queen Mary and Westfield College and St. George's) offer a 'graduate entry program' which is one year less than the regular program - but competition for places is fierce, even for locals, and you'll have to sit a graduate entrance exam eg GamSat, MCAT. You should check with each individual medical school to see if you meet requirements, RFUCMS/University College for example doesn't accept undergraduate degrees gained outside the UK ( http://www.ucl.ac.uk/medicalschool/prospective-students/faq/index.htm#q6 ). Those that do accept non-UK degrees require the equivalent minimum of a Second Class, Upper Division Honors degree ('a two-one degree').

You should also consider the expense of studying in London. Tuition fees alone amount to 21,000 British pounds per annum, with living costs amounting to 800 per month if you want to live within reasonable commuting distance to school and teaching hospitals which are often scattered around Central London.

Note that schools have international admissions quotas limited by the Government, eg only 10 out of 150 places to non-UK applicants, and these tend to go to applicants from the countries of the British Commonwealth or countries where medical educational provision is poor.

You apply through the 'Universities and Colleges Admissions Service' www.ucas.com. The deadline for medical applicants is the 15th October every year. Some schools require you submit a direct application in addition to the UCAS application. If you're serious about applying to London, contact each medical school or college to check requirements.