How does AMCAS verify BCMP courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted555445

I'm assuming the process is:
  1. Enter Courses
  2. Designate Courses as either BCMP or non-BCMP
  3. If something looks off someone might reach out to your undergrad and ask for course material/description
Is this correct?

If a course is listed by your undergrad as bio but was pretty borderline between bio and philosophy (probably 50/50), is it worth it to designate it as BCMP only to potentially get called out and be in a grey area? It does raise my sGPA slightly, but breaks an aesthetically satisfying threshold. If it helps, it is taught by an MD.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm assuming the process is:
  1. Enter Courses
  2. Designate Courses as either BCMP or non-BCMP
  3. If something looks off someone might reach out to your undergrad and ask for course material/description
Is this correct?

If a course is listed by your undergrad as bio but was pretty borderline between bio and philosophy (probably 50/50), is it worth it to designate it as BCMP only to potentially get called out and be in a grey area? It does raise my sGPA slightly, but breaks an aesthetically satisfying threshold. If it helps, it is taught by an MD.
1. Enter course
2. Designate course classification (You are being redirected...). Any course you classify as biol, chem, phys, or math will count towards BCPM GPA.
3. If AMCAS disagrees with your classification, they will change it. FWIW, I had a class similar to yours that I classified as biol and they accepted it. But there is no penalty to you if they change it. You won’t get “called out.”

Reactions: 1 users
Kind of bouncing off the general idea of course classifications. Will they change courses from non-BCPM to BCPM if they believe that we inaccurately classified it? I only ask as there are some courses that I have taken that seem/sound BCPM but are not 50% or whatever the guidelines is.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Enter course
2. Designate course classification (You are being redirected...). Any course you classify as biol, chem, phys, or math will count towards BCPM GPA.
3. If AMCAS disagrees with your classification, they will change it. FWIW, I had a class similar to yours that I classified as biol and they accepted it. But there is no penalty to you if they change it. You won’t get “called out.”

Awesome, I guess there's no harm in trying. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 users
If you have a very good reason to believe a class should/shouldn't be classified as BCPM, you can also appeal. They changed one of my classes from BCPM to non-BCPM (and fair enough, the course name was misleading), so I appealed and gave them the syllabus to show what the content of the course actually was. It worked!

Reactions: 3 users
Awesome, thank you very much! Come on ChemE classes, don't fail me now :lol:

1. Enter course
If it helps in the opposite direction (like you don’t want it to be BCPM) I had things ranging from blood bank to clinical chem that they were comfortable classifying as HEAL or OTHR. In general, they seem to trust you.

Reactions: 3 users
If it helps in the opposite direction (like you don’t want it to be BCPM) I had things ranging from blood bank to clinical chem that they were comfortable classifying as HEAL or OTHR. In general, they seem to trust you.
Memes you know the key to my question haha, that's what I was mostly worried about, my first couple of ChemE courses were a bit on the rough side and they are ambiguous enough where they could be either. That's really great to know, thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
Courses are verified/classified SOLELY by the course content as judged by the official college course catalog description for the term course was taken.
Hy @gonnif
I took a class called Honors 147: The Anthropocene: An Archaeological Perspective (It's part of the honors department- as it's an honors course)

Before you say its definitely not bcpm!! Please have a look at the course description in our catalog and tell me if It would be okay if I list it as Bio.

- Examination of new geological period, informally labeled the Anthropocene, in which environment is profoundly impacted by human activities. Evidence that anthropogenic forces have affected conditions on Earth during past two centuries, including loss of biodiversity, burning of fossil fuels, ocean acidification, and ozone depletion.

Environment is profoundly impacted by human activities implies as much cultural, economic, and social factors with biologic factors being the mechanics of this happens. Ii is unlikely BCPM but you can try
Thanks for your answer. If you don't mind I have a question regarding LOR, because I've been hearing some mixed things. @gonnif

1. Is it acceptable to use a letter of recommendation that is written by a TA and signed by the professor? My professor asked me to speak to my TA b/c i knew him better and she said have him send it over to me and I'll add onto it and sign it. Do you think I should make sure to tell her any Do's and Don't about mentioning the TA or anything like that?

2. My situation is a bit complicated because I have one science letter from my 4 year university already, but for my second one i'm debating on whether to use the letter i stated above or a CC LOR (I am a transfer student). The CC one would be written by a professor who knew me really well, but as stated above it is a cc. What would you suggest?