How do you tell people you don't want to study with them?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QueenJames

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title pretty much says it all.

Lately.. I've been approached by a few classmates to start a study group for boards and I honestly just don't want to. Nothing personal against them... but I prefer isolation.

I honestly get more by google, Wiki, youtube, and all of my books rather than talking it through with another classmate. If I don't understand something... I usually understand it after I've done some digging through my own resources. I'm always down to help them understand something via phone call or text... but I've personally seen where two students constantly try to prove each other why the other's logic is wrong and why something is right and there's a pissing contest there to shut down the other student and yea....

I feel like some people NEED others in a room to study with them... and there is nothing wrong with that...

but I don't really care for it.

How do those of my fellow intentional loner med students go about this?

Members don't see this ad.

I’m the same way. Only productive when I work by myself.

I’d be straightforward and tell them you prefer to study alone. If they get butt hurt about it, then be it.

Reactions: 1 users

I’d be straightforward and tell them you prefer to study alone. If they get butt hurt about it, then be it.

and THAT's why you're my mentor!

;)

But do you feel this could hurt potentially in the future? Like in residency? If you decline your fellow residents to partake in a study session or something for some shelf exam or what have you?

Is it not okay to value WORK more than friendships/relationships amongst fellow students/residents?

I feel that a lot of my fellow students dump on others like myself b/c they are studying when the group or gang wants to go out to eat and kill 2-3 hours...

I personally feel I have thick skin but man... some med students can be quite mean and not able to empathize with others.

Just wanted to see what others do in this situation, as I'm sure it happens all over lol

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
“Sorry I study better by myself but thanks for the invite!”

I was also a fan of what friends and I called “studying separately together.” Meet up at Starbucks, do your own thing mostly, but have someone to commiserate with occasionally and watch each other’s stuff when you need a coffee/food refill or need to use the restroom.

Reactions: 8 users
You've gotten some really good answers already, and while I'm the same (I prefer solo studying), I thank them for the invite but warn them that I have to decline because I will turn the group study time into group talk time because "we" don't get to hang out all that much. Usually that keeps me on nice terms with everyone and if someone didn't appreciate my response, the only reply I have for that is "okay".

I see how much you loved your small group. Forwarding this message now

Lately.. I've been approached by a few classmates to start a study group for boards and I honestly just don't want to. Nothing personal against them... but I prefer isolation.

I honestly get more by google, Wiki, youtube, and all of my books rather than talking it through with another classmate. If I don't understand something... I usually understand it after I've done some digging through my own resources. I'm always down to help them understand something via phone call or text... but I've personally seen where two students constantly try to prove each other why the other's logic is wrong and why something is right and there's a pissing contest there to shut down the other student and yea....

I feel like some people NEED others in a room to study with them... and there is nothing wrong with that...

Just be straight. Tell them you feel better learning alone. This is not an issue of not liking them.

Reactions: 1 user

ROFL

Get ready for a mediocre Step score and scramble for that FM residency in Alaska.

Jokes asides, you have been prepping for board since Day 1 of second year and already developed your own routine and rhythm. There’s no point to slow down and accommodate other people.

Politely decline the invite. If they have a problem w/ it, that’s their problem.

Tell them that you prefer studying alone and do not study well In groups or with other individuals. Self explanatory that some people are better learners when studying solo. You all are adults, they should get the point.

Tell them that you prefer studying alone and do not study well In groups or with other individuals. Self explanatory that some people are better learners when studying solo. You all are adults, they should get the point.

100% sure that you won’t be saying this if you’re in medical school.

and THAT's why you're my mentor!

;)

But do you feel this could hurt potentially in the future? Like in residency? If you decline your fellow residents to partake in a study session or something for some shelf exam or what have you?

Is it not okay to value WORK more than friendships/relationships amongst fellow students/residents?

I feel that a lot of my fellow students dump on others like myself b/c they are studying when the group or gang wants to go out to eat and kill 2-3 hours...

I personally feel I have thick skin but man... some med students can be quite mean and not able to empathize with others.

Just wanted to see what others do in this situation, as I'm sure it happens all over lol
Work is not the same as studying. You can't practice medicine in isolation. You need to collaborate with your colleagues, offer your help and accept help when you need it. Therefore, I doubt that declining to study with others is a habit-forming behavior and will continue throughout residency and beyond.

Like others said, put your needs before everyone else's, but don't be a jerk. Politely explain to your peers that you prefer to study alone.

I’ve never studied with anyone in residency. I’ve basically never sat down and had a true study session.

Most of my learning is in the moment, and through point of care searches. That and didactic lecture sessions during lunches etc.

ROFL

Get ready for a mediocre Step score and scramble for that FM residency in Alaska.

Interestingly enough, the one FM residency program in Alaska is pretty popular. Very strong training (or so I’m told).

Members don't see this ad :)

Them: Hey QJ, let's study Anatomy together!
You: I'm sorry, but I really prefer to study alone.

Reactions: 2 users
People who treat studying like a social activity are the worst

Reactions: 3 users
Tell them you did such a good job prestudying for med school that you’re just too far ahead of them and they’ll never be able to catch up.

Tell them you did such a good job prestudying for med school that you’re just too far ahead of them and they’ll never be able to catch up.

I can't think of a better way for them to make more snarky comments and pass judgment....

I already got made fun of for doing board studying over christmas break by these folks.

I'm not mad and I can take it... but I'd just rather not get involved with class dramatics and all.

I want to just learn, do my job during small group discussions and class activities, and go home and isolate myself until next time lol

I can't think of a better way for them to make more snarky comments and pass judgment....

I already got made fun of for doing board studying over christmas break by these folks.

I'm not mad and I can take it... but I'd just rather not get involved with class dramatics and all.

I want to just learn, do my job during small group discussions and class activities, and go home and isolate myself until next time lol
I had the same approach during my preclinical years. I minimized the time I spent at school. I did the absolute bare minimum of small group activities. I didn’t participate in any EC activities or joined any clubs. All I did was listening and memorizing the material from lectures and focus the rest of my time and energy on UFAP.

Some people want to experience the whole enchilada. They want to be active in school and make tons of friends. Nothing wrong with that.

On the other hand, we need to acknowledge that some people exist who just want to pay their dues and move on.

Reactions: 2 users
I had the same approach during my preclinical years. I minimized the time I spent at school. I did the absolute bare minimum of small group activities. I didn’t participate in any EC activities or joined any clubs. All I did was listening and memorizing the material from lectures and focus the rest of my time and energy on UFAP.

Some people want to experience the whole enchilada. They want to be active in school and make tons of friends. Nothing wrong with that.

On the other hand, we need to acknowledge that some people exist who just want to pay their dues and move on.
What did you have on your ERAS if you didn't do any EC or research? Just charity stuff/hobbies not affiliated with your school?

What did you have on your ERAS if you didn't do any EC or research? Just charity stuff/hobbies not affiliated with your school?
Only undergrad research. Left rest empty. If I go unmatched I’ll come back here and eat my words

Only undergrad research. Left rest empty. If I go unmatched I’ll come back here and eat my words
You are my spirit animal and I hope you succeed because I absolutely could not care less about the types of research I have access to or the terrible volunteering stuff other people are doing for some reason.

haha not gonna happen IBN.

The praying I been doin' for ya to succeed will work! ;)

IbnAlnafis has great step scores and almost all specialties don't care about ECs. Some do care about research, but I don't think neuro is one of them. Ibn will probably match into a top tier program...

LOL haven’t they made the decision obvious for you? Why the hell do you want to associate yourself w/ these people?

There are a bunch of kids in medical school that are so obnoxious and loud. Faulk them. Do you and focus on the endpoints.

IbnAlnafis has great step scores and almost all specialties don't care about ECs. Some do care about research, but I don't think neuro is one of them. Ibn will probably match into a top tier program...
Thank you for the vote of confidence

LOL haven’t they made the decision obvious for you? Why the hell do you want to associate yourself w/ these people?

There are a bunch of kids in medical school that are so obnoxious and loud. Faulk them. Do you and focus on the endpoints.

I appreciate the backup gunner. But Idk man... maybe I'm the one who's probably taking it out of proportion... but I'm pretty sure when somebody is trying to get under my skin. It is what it is. But yeah I'm just doing me from now til June. :)

I appreciate the backup gunner. But Idk man... maybe I'm the one who's probably taking it out of proportion... but I'm pretty sure when somebody is trying to get under my skin. It is what it is. But yeah I'm just doing me from now til June. :)
Next time someone tries to get under your skin, tell 'em: "are you gunning me brah?" Call them out.
And for whoever wanna study with you: *Speak in Russel Peters voice* "Hey a*shole, no I don't wanna study with you. Are you gunning me brah?!"

Those loud mouthed people will be really quiet after board... Do your thing, take board early, and take some time off to chillax before rotations.

“My crippling social anxiety doesn’t allow me to be in the presence of others during my Brainy Time.”

That’s what I would say. And then they would back away slowly and I’d study in peace.

Interestingly enough, the one FM residency program in Alaska is pretty popular. Very strong training (or so I’m told).
We had the PD of that program come to our school not too long ago. As far as FM goes I’m not sure it gets much better in terms of breadth of experiences.

We had the PD of that program come to our school not too long ago. As far as FM goes I’m not sure it gets much better in terms of breadth of experiences.

I applied to attend school there for that reason. Providers in Alaska have to be swiss army knives, and that appeals to me.

Got rejected, though. XD
Guess I'm staying in the CONUS.

I have actually heard of the same thing from colleagues who are well connected to the area.

I’m just using it as a running joke @QueenJames about FM in Alaska, Dakotas, Wyoming, etc... as the frozen tundra of hell as espoused by many posters on sdn.

I have actually heard of the same thing from colleagues who are well connected to the area.

I’m just using it as a running joke @QueenJames about FM in Alaska, Dakotas, Wyoming, etc... as the frozen tundra of hell as espoused by many posters on sdn.

Yeah, figured. Apart from good training, I wouldn’t want to live up there.

I prefer group studying only for class exams, mostly because our group has a knack of covering very high yield information days leading up to them. It's been super helpful. Board studying? We all started at different times and are using difference sources. It wouldn't make sense.

Why would they even get offended if you tell them you prefer to study alone. They'll just be like "Ok cool. I'll just look for someone else instead."

Unless the person asking you has a crush on you. Then that's a different story...