How do you pronouce your specialty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nerdoscience

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if there are any regional or age-related trends for how OB/GYN is pronounced. I grew up hearing Oh Bee Gee Why Enn. Then, in med school it was Oh Bee Gyne. Now, I also hear Oh bee Jin, especially from older people. Does anyone know?

Members don't see this ad.

?? I've never heard it pronounced any way but Oh Bee Gee Why Enn.

EDIT: Just as an aside, I am not saying that I don't believe that you've heard people pronounce it those ways, I'm only saying I've never heard it before.

I've heard it so many ways at this point ~ OB/Gyne and Ob Gee Why Enn are probably the more common ones. It's like Nick U and Nyke U ~ I swore I'd never say Nyke U but that's the way everyone at my program says it and I catch myself not remembering how to say it "the right way"....

Members don't see this ad :)
Or the Enn Aye. Or the Enn Aye See You. And is that the neonatal ICU or the Neuroscience ICU?

But seriously, does anyone know if the OB/GYN thing is geographic or age-related? I had never heard any pronunciation other than Oh Bee Gee Why Enn until med school. Then it was all Oh Bee Gyne. Now, every once in awhile, I hear the Oh Bee Jin one. Just wondering what other people have noticed.

Nerdoscience said:
Or the Enn Aye. Or the Enn Aye See You. And is that the neonatal ICU or the Neuroscience ICU?

i didn't know there was a neuroscience icu? what do they do there? intubate rats subjected to TBI or what? are there morris water mazes in every room? or maybe its a place to take care of aplysias that have become sensitized or habituated?

Are you kidding me?
What a pointless thread...

And yet, you've managed to contribute a post even more worthless than the thread itself. Good job.

you guys are hilarious, thanks for the laugh!

UCLAMAN said:
i didn't know there was a neuroscience icu? what do they do there? intubate rats subjected to TBI or what? are there morris water mazes in every room? or maybe its a place to take care of aplysias that have become sensitized or habituated?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
i could laugh all day.

Pointless? Yes. Serious? Yes. Honestly, do you know?

And the Neuro ICU is for pts with neuro-related problems like myasthenia gravis, or post-op neurosurg pts. Many hospitals have one. It's also abbreviated NS-ICU in some places.

Nerdoscience said:
Pointless? Yes. Serious? Yes. Honestly, do you know?

And the Neuro ICU is for pts with neuro-related problems like myasthenia gravis, or post-op neurosurg pts. Many hospitals have one. It's also abbreviated NS-ICU in some places.

NICU is just plain neurological/neurology intensive care unit. there are probably a few places that call it the neuroscience icu.
NS-ICU = neurosurgical intensive care unit in my book.

it just sounds lame to me to call it the neuroscience icu. neuroscience was my undergrad major, trust me i know quite a bit about the field. but in my book i hear neuroscience it conjures up morris water mazes, aplysias and rodents not MG, MS, SCA patients.

Here in Tejas, we say "o-b-gin". Had a visiting student from East coast that kept saying "o-b-gyne" . That was the first I'd heard that pronunciation.

I'd heard from several people from the UK during a formative part of my education "obs and gynie" (pronounced guy-knee), and that's what I say. Pejoratively, in Brooklyn, I'd heard "obs and gobs".

The variation (mostly) seems to be on the "GYN" part. I guess that's a good thing about regionalism - when someone comes from somewhere else, they "add their distinctiveness to the collective".

Here in Tejas, we say "o-b-gin". Had a visiting student from East coast that kept saying "o-b-gyne" . That was the first I'd heard that pronunciation.

The Texans appear to like "Jin"- we have an intern in surgery who is from TX and that is what she says. But everyone else I have ever heard (SE and E Coast) said "Gyn".

Are you kidding me?
What a pointless thread...

this is about 4 weeks late, but if you want pointless threads go to the EM forum and check out "path's lead is shrinking" thread started about a year ago and going strong! IT too is a pointless thread, but starting to have a point haha.

I'd heard from several people from the UK during a formative part of my education "obs and gynie" (pronounced guy-knee), and that's what I say. Pejoratively, in Brooklyn, I'd heard "obs and gobs".

The variation (mostly) seems to be on the "GYN" part. I guess that's a good thing about regionalism - when someone comes from somewhere else, they "add their distinctiveness to the collective".

I say Obs-and-guyknee or simply oh-and-gee. O&G.

what do you tell the lay people? many, ones who havent had kids yet, dont know what obgyn is.