How do you Prevent the Tandem and Ring from falling out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

XRT_doc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Other than packing do you do anything else to prevent the Tandem and Ring from falling out overnight? I know some centers use Abductor Pillows. Whats your opinion on those?

Members don't see this ad.

Other than packing do you do anything else to prevent the Tandem and Ring from falling out overnight? I know some centers use Abductor Pillows. Whats your opinion on those?

Stitch the ring in place in two spots. The packing should minimize rotational motion. You mostly don't want it to fall inferior.

Members don't see this ad :)
They make undergarments that help hold them in place. Or you can just cut a small hole in 2 pairs of surgical panties and pull them up/over the T&O.

Is LDR still used much in this setting? I was presuming this was in the context of HDR done on back-to-back days.

Sorry, replied to wrong post.

I know some places do. I can’t speak to how many. We still did some LDR where I trained, mostly for people who were too anxious or uncomfortable to undergo multiple insertions. I imagine there are some places that have LDR sources and still use them since it’s cheaper than getting an afterloader and new controller. I personally only do HDR now.

This is related to HDR used back to back

T-binder works fine for ours. The straps can go through the area connecting R & T to rectal retractor (depending on how far the retractor is placed). It can also go distal to the retractor and pull towards the patient's head.

Either a table clamp of just distal vaginal packing.