How do u afford to live while going F/T?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MALA

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Just a question. With Pharm school, I understand you need to go full-time because the coursework is intense. I'm not going to be staying in dorms (I'm a bit of an older student), so I would be looking for some sort of cheaper housing. I'm looking to Albany, NY as well.
Does anyone have any suggestions or tips on how to go to school F/T and live slightly above poverty-level while doing so? I'm not sure if I should try to max out on student loans and use the rest to try and live. Any suggestions would be so helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately, unless I hook up with a retail pharmacy and get a scholarship from them, I will probably be maxing out student loans. :(

Thanks Michele- I spell my name the same way too! I'm an old fogie and you know you get so comfortable with your life and to go back to the 20-something way of life is going to be an adjustment! I'm trying to sock alot of money away now since I'm working F/T, but I don't think that'll be enough and I will not dip into my 401K at any cost to do this. I'm hoping (oh please) if I get into Albany, that it won't be too bad being that it's so much cheaper than where I live now,

Members don't see this ad :)
You can't be that old. I'm 39. LOL

I know want you mean about comfort levels and such. I have 4 kids, 2 who will be starting college before I even get out of Pharmacy school. Assuming I get in. :(

Good luck! What term are you trying for Pharm admission?

I discovered that Albany has a 3 yr accelerated, by going there it is 1 year shorter than going to Rutgers to do the traditional program. Since Albany requires less pre-reqs, I'm estimating that I'll start Summer of 2006 and finish by 2009. I'm in my late 30's too, some days I think "what am I doing?- I'm crazy!" and then most days I say "the alternative to not trying is regret".
Unfortunately, I don't have any children yet. I'll be the
50-yr old Mom in the playground that people will mistaken for a Grandma!

My wife who is a nurse will be supporting me for the duration. Of course she has informed me that I will be repaying her...starting with a LONG vacation when I'm finished.

My husband wants a Jaguar XK8 convertible for his repayment, but he might have to settle for a used one.

That's funny, Dana. My husband wants a 1969 mustang fastback for his repayment.

Marry well?:p