HELP -- Withdraw or "F"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carmer90

Reaction score
I have already taken the PCAT and did very well. Bu t my GPA is only soso. Also, I have been conditionally accepted into a program So the question is:

Do I withdraw from a class or take the "F"? In the PharmCAS reporting of grades which is to my benefit?

Members don't see this ad.

Withdraw, a W does not have any bearing on your GPA period and even if they tell you thats its worth to finish the semester it will tank your gpa. If its a pre-req course needed to start the program then its another ballgame and you would lose admission to the program or have to repeat the course within their deadlines to be able to start the program.

Reactions: 1 user
I have already taken the PCAT and did very well. Bu t my GPA is only soso. Also, I have been conditionally accepted into a program So the question is:

Do I withdraw from a class or take the "F"? In the PharmCAS reporting of grades which is to my benefit?

1) What exactly is your GPA
2) Does this class fall as a prerequisite for your conditional acceptance

A "W" has no weight on your GPA as an "F" does. However, if you are currently failing the course, your withdrawal would not be a "W", it would be a "WF" which will bring down your GPA just as much as an "F" would. In this case, it is better to grind through the class with the possibility of getting anything higher than an F since a WF would essentially make no difference in bringing down your GPA.

If this has no hinderance (as in not a conditional prerequisite) for your acceptance into pharmacy school, then just withdraw. This may ratify any scholarship(s) you may be on if you drop below the required credit hours for the semester.

Members don't see this ad :)

Withdrawing from your pharmacy school apps is to your best benefit.

Reactions: 6 users
1) What exactly is your GPA
2) Does this class fall as a prerequisite for your conditional acceptance

A "W" has no weight on your GPA as an "F" does. However, if you are currently failing the course, your withdrawal would not be a "W", it would be a "WF" which will bring down your GPA just as much as an "F" would. In this case, it is better to grind through the class with the possibility of getting anything higher than an F since a WF would essentially make no difference in bringing down your GPA.

If this has no hinderance (as in not a conditional prerequisite) for your acceptance into pharmacy school, then just withdraw. This may ratify any scholarship(s) you may be on if you drop below the required credit hours for the semester.

I had a 3.34 core classes, if I include an "F" in this semester it will drop to a 3.1 (BTW my PCAT comp score was a 89) . The course is definitely a conditional prereq. I HAD an "A" until an online quiz where I was accused of cheating (I answered a question on Whatsapp from another student- where I did NOT give the answer, just a hint). Oddly enough the Prof let us "work together" on in-class quizzes so still not sure why answering a question on the online quiz was considered cheating, but that is what they ruled.

I have them on a technicality regarding the way they notified me of the infraction. According to the Student Code of Conduct they were supposed to send a first class letter, what they sent me was an email to school email account I didn't know existed. Had I gotten the notice in time I could have withdrawn from the class by the date. So the school is giving me my 10 days to appeal now. Not sure if it would have been with a "WF" or "W".

I am still appealing. Just wondering what some of my options are.

Last edited:
I had a 3.34 core classes, if I include an "F" in this semester it will drop to a 3.1 (BTW my PCAT comp score was a 89) . The course is definitely a conditional prereq. I HAD an "A" until an online quiz where I was accused of cheating (I answered a question on Whatsapp from another student- where I did NOT give the answer, just a hint). Oddly enough the Prof let us "work together" on in-class quizzes so still not sure why answering a question on the online quiz was considered cheating, but that is what they ruled.

I have them on a technicality regarding the way they notified me of the infraction. According to the Student Code of Conduct they were supposed to send a first class letter, what they sent me was an email to school email account I didn't know existed. Had I gotten the notice in time I could have withdrawn from the class by the date. So the school is giving me my 10 days to appeal now. Not sure if it would have been with a "WF" or "W".

This seems a bit confusing. If they have you down on in infraction for cheating then this would mean you are dismissed from the class altogether thus receiving a failing grade. If this is not what you mean, then how can one online quiz bring you down from an A to an F (unless you are talking about only being a week or so within the start of class of which case why would you drop a required course this early in the semester if you have the option to stay?)

Regardless, if you are dismissed with a failing grade there is no W. It is a WF should you be allowed to withdraw.

Not sure what you mean. My school requiring me to update grades in PharmCAS.

tl;dr if you go to pharmacy school you will likely end up with $200k+ in loans and have a hard time finding a job when you graduate.

Reactions: 1 users
I doubt this pre-pharm kid cares about the job market or the amount of debt he'll be in. He's just looking at the doctoral degree and a 6-figure salary that a google search came up with.

Yup or one of those student top ten highest paying job lists that has pharmacy manager at number 2 and staff pharmacist at number 5. Yet any kind of doctor gets lumped into one profession at number 1.

I'm actually counting on all these new comers to take out massive loans and help tank the US economy..... when the recession hits, i can weather just fine as i have resources, ....thats when the bargaining will begin with the federal loans.....when the default rate is around 50---75% and jobs are no where to be found in any sector. So these guys are actually helping the older pharms who still have a little debt, in ways they dont even know.....keep up the good work guys.....go be a Pharmd.... !!

It looks pretty bad when you're at ~50% unemployment if you consider residency under-employment (spoiler alert, it is).

I'm actually counting on all these new comers to take out massive loans and help tank the US economy..... when the recession hits, i can weather just fine as i have resources, ....thats when the bargaining will begin with the federal loans.....when the default rate is around 50---75% and jobs are no where to be found in any sector. So these guys are actually helping the older pharms who still have a little debt, in ways they dont even know.....keep up the good work guys.....go be a Pharmd.... !!

If Bernie or Warren get elected, they will take our 401ks to erase other people's irresponsible student loans. Not good for us responsible people.

• Dislike
It looks pretty bad when you're at ~50% unemployment if you consider residency under-employment (spoiler alert, it is).

Is pharmacy really at 50% unemployment at this point in time? serious?

Is pharmacy really at 50% unemployment at this point in time? serious?
No. Maybe at some schools the latest graduating class is 50% unemployed, but certainly not all pharmacists across the board. Total unemployment among all licensed pharmacists at this point is probably still below the country average of 3.5% (which is an underestimate because it doesn't count long-term unemployed who have lost their benefit, those who have been unemployed so long they have given up, and those who are underemployed and doing multiple 'gigs'). If there are roughly 310,000 pharmacists, if the unemployment was on par with country average, there would be some 11,000 unemployed pharmacists out there and it feels like an overestimate, we don't hear enough reports to justify that number...

Doesn't matter if you get a W or F you can still get into pharmacy school easily as long as you have a 2.0 GPA and can pay tuition

Doesn't matter if you get a W or F you can still get into pharmacy school easily as long as you have a 2.0 GPA and can pay tuition
Yeah- and the 2.0 GPA is optional.....with that you'd be considered an over achiever with the students they're taking nowadays....

Why are you applying to pharmacy, there are no jobs. 0% job growth for the next thirty years. You want to do PharmD/PHD, you can take a less expensive route of MS in pharmacology and then do a PhD.
You want to be the hot shot clinical pharmacist with many abbreviations next to your name, you would be better served becoming a PA and getting a residency in PA speciality. You will do way more than a clinical pharmacist and get paid way more than a retail pharmacy manager or a hospital pharmacy manager.