How do private scholarships affect aid?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD2b06

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how outside scholarships affect school-based scholarships/grants, etc? If they see you're getting money from another source, are you wasting your time applying for school based scholarships? I was fortunate enough to receive a substantial scholarship from a hospital I volunteered at, and was wondering if this would preclude me from being considered for any other awards? Some scholarship deadlines are fast approaching and I don't wanna waste my time if I have no shot. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it would depend on the school and the scholarship. Certain sholarships have no basis on need and therefore you could be Bill Gates and still qualify for this scholarship. For need-based ones, you will obivously not be at the top of the needpile if you have some other scholarship (or any source of money).

Talk to your financial aid office and see how an outside scholarship might affect your chances for receiving school-based or other types of scholarships.

The applications don't specify whether they're need based or not. However, they do ask you to list any other scholarships that you've been awarded. I'm guessing that'll hurt me. I'll double check with the FA office. Still worth a shot though I guess. Thanks.