How do I quit my job (I just accepted the offer letter)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mooseRx

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I accepted an offer letter from CVS a few weeks ago. Around the same time, I applied for a PV job but didn't hear back from them. I just found out I got the PV job which was my top choice. How do I tell the CVS district leader that I quit without burning too many bridges? Since pharmacy is such a small world.

Members don't see this ad.

You might get blacklisted but do whatever best for you. Just go too your boss and give a two weeks notice.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Take a dump in the pharmacy on your last day of work.

• Haha
  • Inappropriate
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Get the district leader a “Sorry for your loss” card. Sign at the bottom with 2 week notice.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I'm rather surprised/impressed given your other thread on your struggles. Like all new grads (for the most part), endure the starting struggles (things will get easier with time & experience; take/accept feedback/criticisms when given to better your performance/self)

Reactions: 1 users
Pharmacy is more like parallel worlds.

Hard to imagine a scenario in which you go back to CVS.

Last edited:
  • Wow
I'm rather surprised/impressed given your other thread on your struggles. Like all new grads (for the most part), endure the starting struggles (things will get easier with time & experience; take/accept feedback/criticisms when given to better your performance/self)
Yeah, I made a lot of mistakes and had some minor challenges that all kind of snowballed together right around the time I graduated. This really put a stall on NAPLEX studying plus I felt super depressed thinking I didn't get the PV job (after getting declined pretty much everywhere else). Now that I got the job I'm still trying to figure out how to fit studying (but even if it takes me a long time I'll try).

I guess I'll try to be as professional as possible when I email and district leader and probably offer to speak with him on the phone. This will definitely burn a bridge with CVS (I'm kind of okay with that). I just hope this doesn't give me a bad name in the rest of the pharmacy world. Although one of the posters says they are more like "parallel worlds" so it may be okay.

• Care
Take a dump in the pharmacy on your last day of work.

like - in the drug stacks? Where would be the optimal “I quit dump location”?

I vote the counting station. Maybe on top of the loudest phone would be a good second

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I accepted an offer letter from CVS a few weeks ago. Around the same time, I applied for a PV job but didn't hear back from them. I just found out I got the PV job which was my top choice. How do I tell the CVS district leader that I quit without burning too many bridges? Since pharmacy is such a small world.

Seriously - I have done this. Just come in person, call for your manager, and sit down for 15 minutes to explain yourself. That is how I did it - I just said “hey look, I have this great opportunity that I don’t want to miss”.

thank everyone for their support and exit stage left. Move on and don’t look back. That’s all

Seriously - I have done this. Just come in person, call for your manager, and sit down for 15 minutes to explain yourself. That is how I did it - I just said “hey look, I have this great opportunity that I don’t want to miss”.

thank everyone for their support and exit stage left. Move on and don’t look back. That’s all

I was literally coming in here to tag you lol

Reactions: 1 user
To OP, same way CVS would can do to you. Bye Felicia. Just pull it off like a band aid.

Yeah, I made a lot of mistakes and had some minor challenges that all kind of snowballed together right around the time I graduated. This really put a stall on NAPLEX studying plus I felt super depressed thinking I didn't get the PV job (after getting declined pretty much everywhere else). Now that I got the job I'm still trying to figure out how to fit studying (but even if it takes me a long time I'll try).

I guess I'll try to be as professional as possible when I email and district leader and probably offer to speak with him on the phone. This will definitely burn a bridge with CVS (I'm kind of okay with that). I just hope this doesn't give me a bad name in the rest of the pharmacy world. Although one of the posters says they are more like "parallel worlds" so it may be okay.

But congratulations on passing and being in the enviable position of having multiple offers! It is a career achievement. Yes, echoing above in terms of being professional, but without some draw, CVS will not care either if they are given due notice and no contract.

Members don't see this ad :)
am I the only person that doesn't know wth a PV job stand for lol

Pharmacovigilance.

oooooo how did he go from barely passing pharmacy school and rotations to landing this job without fellowship lol one of those guys that always say they failed when getting all As? hahah

And honestly, not even CVS cares if you quit CVS.

Reactions: 5 users
oooooo how did he go from barely passing pharmacy school and rotations to landing this job without fellowship lol one of those guys that always say they failed when getting all As? hahah
The irony is that a good number of my classmates that are in industry today struggled throughout pharmacy school and rotations. I'm talking about having to repeat classes, making up a rotation, and even repeating a whole year in at least 3 cases. And no fellowship. If I could think of a common denominator, all are pretty sociable or at least not socially awkward. And maybe just as importantly, all are pretty persistent in landing the opportunity they want despite multiple failures along the way.

As to the original question, just request some time to speak and say you're leaving for an opportunity you can't pass up. Trust me, they'll understand. I think they are fully aware that more than a few CVS pharmacists are open to other opportunities. There may even be some that cheer you on and ask you to keep them in mind for any future openings.

Congrats to you. PV is a steep learning curve, but if you choose to continue within PV there are plenty of opportunities for continuous learning and career growth. Or, it's a foot in the door to industry if you want to explore another function. If you're starting within PV Operations, try to do your best and learn the regulations to the T...and look for ANY opportunities to branch out from Ops and gain experience in project management, quality/compliance, clinical safety, risk management, signal detection, and aggregate reporting. Those are going to be where the more valued PV experience lies and sought after. If you're into programming and the tech side, safety data management is pretty high in demand - more and more companies are looking for this unique combination of skills and there aren't many people who have this experience relative to demand.

Last edited:
I worked 3 months at CVS. I told my DM that I need to take some time off for my family. May be a few months to a year. And as I have only worked for 3 months, I won't qualify for FMLA. Then I moved on to a hospital job. I lied of course, but I did not want to close the door in case if I have to go back.

I have seen people get fired from cvs and then get rehired in different district. This whole being blacklisted thing is overblown IMO.

Can you elaborate on what makes one qualified for PV?

Can you elaborate on what makes one qualified for PV?
What makes one qualified for PV might be simpler than what a PV hiring manager looks for.

At the outset, you just need to be able to think in evidence-based fashion, have a knack for solving problems, communicate well, be accountable, be comfortable with reading scientific literature and working with systems, and overall be professional. Stuff that coincides with a lot of other pharma jobs.

Hiring managers look for the above but also what will be a good fit with the company, the department, and the group.

And honestly, not even CVS cares if you quit CVS.

Yep. I gave 2 weeks notice after 4 years and my DM didn't even respond to my email. Haven't heard from him since.

• Wow
Yep. I gave 2 weeks notice after 4 years and my DM didn't even respond to my email. Haven't heard from him since.
LOL. I didn't know you can do that. Next time I quit i will send my boss a resignation letter in the email. Its so nerve racking doing it in person.

LOL. I didn't know you can do that. Next time I quit i will send my boss a resignation letter in the email. Its so nerve racking doing it in person.

Better to have it in writing.

Email, fax

I did this around 8 PM toward the end of the shift and actually got a call back within 10 min.

Better to have it in writing.
I would do both but I would always go to my managers office first to awkwardly tell him and then send the resignation letter. I always though it was bad to do it over email or text. Now that i know i will just shoot the letter over email directly.

I would do both but I would always go to my managers office first to awkwardly tell him and then send the resignation letter. I always though it was bad to do it over email or text. Now that i know i will just shoot the letter over email directly.

I only saw my DM like once a year or two.

I ended up emailing the DM that I would be stepping down from the job and asking to call him. We spoke for like 5 minutes. I was barely in the onboarding process so there was no paperwork for me to fill out. I felt bad at first since he was nice throughout the process. I've mostly been super stressed since I failed so many other job opportunities. Now I can look forward to the PV job in July. There is some good career advice on this thread which I appreciate.