How do I get food stamps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UserNameNeeded

SOS
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just read this on one of our SDN member's blogs:

Overhead this week, on a medical school class mailing list:
... how to use food-stamps to assure adequate nutrition while you're in school...

but he doesn't tell us "how" that works. I don't have much experience with official government welfare, but you better believe I'm going to try to get any governmental assistance while I'm in grad school if I can (especially since I'll be paying thousands and thousands back every year when I'm practicing). Anyone know how to go about doing this?

Members don't see this ad.

That would be my blog. :)

Let me see if I can dig up the rest of that email, and I'll add it to my blog/folllow up here.

UserNameNeeded said:

but he doesn't tell us "how" that works. I don't have much experience with official government welfare, but you better believe I'm going to try to get any governmental assistance while I'm in grad school if I can (especially since I'll be paying thousands and thousands back every year when I'm practicing). Anyone know how to go about doing this?

You just go to the local welfare dept. and get the paper work, fill it out, turn it in and they will set you up with an appt with a case worker. You basically can't have anything in your savings account, and your car must not be worth much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Raven Feather said:
You just go to the local welfare dept. and get the paper work, fill it out, turn it in and they will set you up with an appt with a case worker. You basically can't have anything in your savings account, and your car must not be worth much.

Yep, that's all you have to do. In Ohio, you would want to contact the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services for your county. You will fill out an application and talk with a case worker. You will need to let them know all of your resources, including student loans, scholarships, savings and checking accounts. Your car (one car only) and your primary residence (and the property it is on) do not count as resources, but must be reported.

I remember that they count scholarships as resources...but I'm not sure about student loans. Your resources must be pretty low, like $3000, so if you take out student loans in excess of your tuition costs you could exceed the allowable amount of resources by having too much money in your savings/checking account.

If you contact your county's office about this they will probably be very helpful. I hope you would only consider this if you honestly need it.

I know that in New York you have to work in order to receive food stamps (this was a rule a few years ago). You cannot have more than $1500 in your bank account for a family of 2.

Isn't this just morally wrong?

Reactions: 1 user
CruiseLover said:

When you come to the U.S. as an immigrant with $2000 (or less) in your pocket and without English, I think it's moral. I received food stamps during the first 2 years being in the U.S. even though I was working. I made $800 a month which was not enough to pay for the rent + bills.

Mikhail said:
When you come to the U.S. as an immigrant with $2000 (or less) in your pocket and without English, I think it's moral. I received food stamps during the first 2 years being in the U.S. even though I was working. I made $800 a month which was not enough to pay for the rent + bills.

I think it is morally wrong to accept food stamps as medical students, when in a few short years, we will be making some of the best incomes in the country and we are poor "by choice" and eligible for large loans. Food stamps are to help the disadvantaged, not students. (I'm sorry that this has turned into a political discussion). I realize that we have always been a country of immigrants. But I guarantee that when my ancestors came from Europe many generations ago, they were either going to survive or fail without the help of ANY federal money or taxpayer's dollars. So why should anyone in the world, cross into another country, and expect financial handouts of any sort today?

CruiseLover said:
I think it is morally wrong to accept food stamps as medical students, when in a few short years, we will be making some of the best incomes in the country and we are poor "by choice" and eligible for large loans. Food stamps are to help the disadvantaged, not students. (I'm sorry that this has turned into a political discussion). I realize that we have always been a country of immigrants. But I guarantee that when my ancestors came from Europe many generations ago, they were either going to survive or fail without the help of ANY federal money or taxpayer's dollars. So why should anyone in the world, cross into another country, and expect financial handouts of any sort today?

On the flip side of the coin though, as a doctor making that "best incomes in the country" we will also be in a signifigantly higher tax bracket and paying for the foodstamps/welfare of those who need it much more than anyone else so is using now when we need it really that morally wrong? Its sort of like taking a loan out for food and then paying back the government for the rest of your life (30%+ of your income forever -- on average more than 60,000 a year, food stamps only give you a couple hundred a month in food).

CruiseLover said:

Uuuummmm, No. Especially if this person has been paying taxes up until he or she had to quit/work minimal hours b/c of med school. I see nothing wrong with trying to help a person that is trying to help him or herself. Just look at how many people are abusing the system, who have no motivation or the reality to do better. I'd rather someone get it who is doing something with their lives. Not all students get money off their mom and/or dad to help out and some of the students are parents, so have more people to worry about besides themselves.

CruiseLover said:

So they'd rather go hungry than to ask for help? IMHO, that is nothing to brag about, "I had too much pride to ask for help and thus we all (possibly children) went hungry."

UserNameNeeded said:

Do you have kids? Usually the classmates who are getting food stamps are married and have kids. I don't know if you'll qualify if you're single.

I put in my information in to the state's food stamp screening website and it said I wasn't eligible for food stamps-- I was eligible for "emergency food stamps." :oops: :(

Members don't see this ad :)
And it starts, someone asks a legitimate question and then people fire back and forth trying to take succeeningly higher moral grounds.

The fact that someone posed the food stamp question shows that they don't care about any moral factors into it, that is if there any.

The government will find a way to screw you over somehow and they are making millions off of our dept, and salliemae is making millions with our student loans. since we are using federal funds, will one day pay more than our share of taxes, and are providing services, and are poor, we should qualify.

Food stamps and other programs are put in place to help those in their immediate times of need, regardless of who they are. If they qualify, then they should get help.

It is immoral to use this as a primary source of funding for food, clothes, etc. and not try to better your life by education or job-searching.

Who's to say that a single mother of 3 that needs food stamps won't get a good job in a year or two and not have to be on welfare anymore.

If a med student has no other possible source of income besides loans, and they qualify for stamps, then I say let them have it.

I would be happy to have my tax dollars go to someone in need that has a definite future of work and will shortly be contributing back to the tax system which he or she used.

I am not happy to support those who consistently use the welfare system that my tax dollars support to live that way for years upon years and not do anything about it.

Many people fall on hard times, that's the nature of life. It's hard to pick yourself up after hitting a low, I know, but we all have a responsibility to do the best for ourselves and families, however that may be.

Some will argue this, but it's how I feel. So, to the OP - if you qualify, go for it.

The difference between medical students and the average person who is simply down on their luck is that a medical student KNOWS that hard times are coming and needs to have the discipline to plan accordingly. When applying for med school, did someone leave out the part that you will have NO INCOME for 4 years...and then only a small one for several years after that? And if you are that short on money...why do some of you insist on having child number 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6????????
I'm all for helping out people, but the sense of entitlement I've run into with my fellow medical students and residents is insane. Sure, go on welfare - but, hey, that's a nice new DELL you got there!

It's crazy to expect taxpayers to pay your way thru medical school when most taxpayers struggle simply to send their own children to college. There are MANY decisions a prospective medical student can make to help out with expenses....consider the cost of living at your dream school - if it's too high, go somewhere less expensive. The cost of your vehicle includes not only the payment, but insurance and gas...both of which are higher with our ever-popular SUVs. Not to mention the cost of parking in the bigger cities and other misc. maintenance. Beer - Nat light (do they still make that stuff??) is cheaper than mugs at the new, hip microbrewary. Gadgets - no, you really don't NEED a palm until rotations....your older laptop will do just fine (or the refurbished ones are just as good but way cheaper), and you don't REALLY have to be CONNECTED 24/7 - so get rid of the cell phone.

The bottom line - if you don't have the money, then you need to re-evaluate your spending. Sure, money is tight and some are genuinely strapped, but you knew this was coming.

Those in my class who received aid didn't make any effort to hide the other luxuries they had...new computers, renting DVD's every day and watching them in class, having the latest digital cameras and palms, eating out for lunch every day, stay-at-home wives toting their 3-4 kids around in their new gas-guzzling Tahoes....it's quite mind-boggling. Perhaps if I didn't see this, I wouldn't be so spoiled on this entire subject. However, the more the government saved these people - the more they took the "extra" money and bought things even I would have had to really think about before purchasing (and my husband makes 6 figures).

And for those of you rationalizing this behavior with the argument that "I will be paying so much back in taxes some day"...sure, okay...I am willing to bet that you will pay an accountant WAY more to NOT have to pay those taxes when the time comes. Also, while we are on the subject...more and more physicians are ceasing to accept new medicaid patients....and this comes after their own children were on medicaid during medical school and, sometimes, residency. When you are in practice and are b*tching about your reimbursements (or lack of) - you need to think of the doc visits, ER visits, etc...that your own kids had and the physician got paid squat for.

It's called social responsibility. It's called pride. And every one of you defending this behavior can make a million excuses as to why the "system" was made for people like you. However, if you could see the look on people's faces when they find out that medical students and residents are receiving aid for housing, food, and healthcare - when some families in most states have both parents working but make too much money to qualify for this, but too little to really make ends meet and can't afford health insurance and have too much pride for one parent to stay home and "homeschool" school-age children (yeah, another scam!) just so they will qualify. Now THAT is social responsibility. THAT is teaching your children to work hard and to become productive citizens without the sense of entitlement some of you will pass on to your own kids. By the way, how many of you have actually told your parents, grandparents, etc...and your spouse's family as well that you are (or are contemplating) receiving welfare?

I've been on SDN since I was an undergrad, and I am finishing up my PGY1 now. And, each year, someone finds out that med students and families can qualify for this and posts it on here. And, each year, I go off the deep end about how irresponsible this is. Each one of you will, very soon, recognize patients who abuse the system....using the ER for primary care, patients not having the discipline to quite smoking, but not thinking it's right for taxpayers to pay for another arterial bypass, etc... But, what do you don't realize is that you are just as guilty. Why is it right for you to have a child, or another child, when you KNOW you have NO income??? Why is it right for you to qualify for assistence when you could have simply prepared for what you knew would come?

I acknowlege that some circumstances are simply out of our hands...but, this is the life YOU CHOSE. If you make poor decisions that result in your lack of funds (attending a school that is too expensive, in a town that is too expensive, not waiting to have a family, not saving prior to medical school - whatever)...then you really have no right to complain about it.

Unfortunately, any children involved need to be taken care of. I only hope you all remember the help you may have received and treat others down on their luck with kindness and not think you are above them. Althought this isn't typically what I've seen....I still hope for it. Okay, my rant and rave is over and I already know it made little difference to most of you....but made me feel better saying it.

hey
I personally have no children yet and wont apply for foodstamps when in med school, but if someone wants to I think they should. I know from personal experience (and what I have found many premed/meds cannot seem to understand) is that some of us have gotten NOTHING from family. Not for college, not for grad school, and I know it wont be for med school. Some people really don't have the luxuries as others. You may say, well you know you don't have money so why go to med school? or I have heard people even complain about college kids. So basically, if you were not born into the money you are not good enough to be educated? I am not talking about some fancy schools either, I went to state school. I am personally more worried about Orprah's 13,000 handbag that people don't seem to ever have a problem about than with someone getting food while scrapping to better their lives so they can one day make a small fraction of that.
I don't know if I have a point, but I just wanted to say that:)

double elle said:
The difference between medical students and the average person who is simply down on their luck is that a medical student KNOWS that hard times are coming and needs to have the discipline to plan accordingly. When applying for med school, did someone leave out the part that you will have NO INCOME for 4 years...and then only a small one for several years after that? And if you are that short on money...why do some of you insist on having child number 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6????????
I'm all for helping out people, but the sense of entitlement I've run into with my fellow medical students and residents is insane. Sure, go on welfare - but, hey, that's a nice new DELL you got there!

It's crazy to expect taxpayers to pay your way thru medical school when most taxpayers struggle simply to send their own children to college. There are MANY decisions a prospective medical student can make to help out with expenses....consider the cost of living at your dream school - if it's too high, go somewhere less expensive. The cost of your vehicle includes not only the payment, but insurance and gas...both of which are higher with our ever-popular SUVs. Not to mention the cost of parking in the bigger cities and other misc. maintenance. Beer - Nat light (do they still make that stuff??) is cheaper than mugs at the new, hip microbrewary. Gadgets - no, you really don't NEED a palm until rotations....your older laptop will do just fine (or the refurbished ones are just as good but way cheaper), and you don't REALLY have to be CONNECTED 24/7 - so get rid of the cell phone.

The bottom line - if you don't have the money, then you need to re-evaluate your spending. Sure, money is tight and some are genuinely strapped, but you knew this was coming.

Those in my class who received aid didn't make any effort to hide the other luxuries they had...new computers, renting DVD's every day and watching them in class, having the latest digital cameras and palms, eating out for lunch every day, stay-at-home wives toting their 3-4 kids around in their new gas-guzzling Tahoes....it's quite mind-boggling. Perhaps if I didn't see this, I wouldn't be so spoiled on this entire subject. However, the more the government saved these people - the more they took the "extra" money and bought things even I would have had to really think about before purchasing (and my husband makes 6 figures).

And for those of you rationalizing this behavior with the argument that "I will be paying so much back in taxes some day"...sure, okay...I am willing to bet that you will pay an accountant WAY more to NOT have to pay those taxes when the time comes. Also, while we are on the subject...more and more physicians are ceasing to accept new medicaid patients....and this comes after their own children were on medicaid during medical school and, sometimes, residency. When you are in practice and are b*tching about your reimbursements (or lack of) - you need to think of the doc visits, ER visits, etc...that your own kids had and the physician got paid squat for.

It's called social responsibility. It's called pride. And every one of you defending this behavior can make a million excuses as to why the "system" was made for people like you. However, if you could see the look on people's faces when they find out that medical students and residents are receiving aid for housing, food, and healthcare - when some families in most states have both parents working but make too much money to qualify for this, but too little to really make ends meet and can't afford health insurance and have too much pride for one parent to stay home and "homeschool" school-age children (yeah, another scam!) just so they will qualify. Now THAT is social responsibility. THAT is teaching your children to work hard and to become productive citizens without the sense of entitlement some of you will pass on to your own kids. By the way, how many of you have actually told your parents, grandparents, etc...and your spouse's family as well that you are (or are contemplating) receiving welfare?

I've been on SDN since I was an undergrad, and I am finishing up my PGY1 now. And, each year, someone finds out that med students and families can qualify for this and posts it on here. And, each year, I go off the deep end about how irresponsible this is. Each one of you will, very soon, recognize patients who abuse the system....using the ER for primary care, patients not having the discipline to quite smoking, but not thinking it's right for taxpayers to pay for another arterial bypass, etc... But, what do you don't realize is that you are just as guilty. Why is it right for you to have a child, or another child, when you KNOW you have NO income??? Why is it right for you to qualify for assistence when you could have simply prepared for what you knew would come?

I acknowlege that some circumstances are simply out of our hands...but, this is the life YOU CHOSE. If you make poor decisions that result in your lack of funds (attending a school that is too expensive, in a town that is too expensive, not waiting to have a family, not saving prior to medical school - whatever)...then you really have no right to complain about it.

Unfortunately, any children involved need to be taken care of. I only hope you all remember the help you may have received and treat others down on their luck with kindness and not think you are above them. Althought this isn't typically what I've seen....I still hope for it. Okay, my rant and rave is over and I already know it made little difference to most of you....but made me feel better saying it.

I don't have a spouse that makes over 100,000. And i come from a relatively low income family. So maybe you and other weathlier shoudl only apply for private loans and leave the federally subsidized loans for those less fortunate. After all, if less wealthly people apply for them there would be more, and already burdened students would go for them. Your abusing the system.

I live a very simple life, no cable, no car, no home phone, and spend less than 100 on food a month because i don't have the money. That was a generalization that all people get food stamps so they can buy new laptops etc. I (though am not planning too) would get food stamps only so i could save on what i take out in loans.

Don't be so quick to judge people. Regardless of accounting, doctors will still pay in taxes more than enough to pay back that which they took out.

Food stamps=for people

CruiseLover said:

Not just wrong; it's nauseating. Takes a lot of moxie to cry "poor" if you're going to med school. Yeah, you probably are broke, but it was your choice to go to med school.

Vox Animo said:
And it starts, someone asks a legitimate question and then people fire back and forth trying to take succeeningly higher moral grounds.

The fact that someone posed the food stamp question shows that they don't care about any moral factors into it, that is if there any.

The government will find a way to screw you over somehow and they are making millions off of our dept, and salliemae is making millions with our student loans. since we are using federal funds, will one day pay more than our share of taxes, and are providing services, and are poor, we should qualify.

Yeah, I'll try to bear that in mind when I go to work and see a the Mercedes, Hummers, BMWs, and other luxury cars parked in the doctor's lot. And I'll try to be understanding when I listen to the docs at the nurses' station talking about how well this/that stock did, the florious European vacation their family will be taking, etc.

Here's a novel idea: get a PT job. Work your way through school, like a lot of "commoners" do.

double elle said:

By the silf-reghteous attitude of this post I'm assuming that you will return your social security checks unopened when you are of an age to receive them. What's that you say "but I earned my social security checks"? As far as the irresponsibility factor, government aid programs allow me and my family to avoid taking out private loans. By avoiding private loans I avoid having to pay off that amount in the future when I am making real money. This benefits said programs greatly because I have that much more taxable income to support said programs. So tell me please from a financial point of view (either for myself or the government) whether or not it is really irresponsible to partake of the aid.

fab4fan said:
Here's a novel idea: get a PT job. Work your way through school, like a lot of "commoners" do.

You're absolutely right I do need a job. Let's see, school from 8-3 5 days a week, study from 5-11 and all day Saturdays. That leaves enough time to pick up at least 40 hours a week working graves. Why didn't I think of this before?

fab4fan said:
Yeah, I'll try to bear that in mind when I go to work and see a the Mercedes, Hummers, BMWs, and other luxury cars parked in the doctor's lot. And I'll try to be understanding when I listen to the docs at the nurses' station talking about how well this/that stock did, the florious European vacation their family will be taking, etc.

Our generation of doctors are not going to make the money that these present doctors do. Yes and bear that in mind how much they are paying in taxes, and how much of what they pay go to services they never need. Lets say a student uses $500 worth of food stamps. But in a doctors tax brackett they will be paying of 40K-100K a year. I think no one is going to notice the $500 they used.

fab4fan said:

I have work 80 hours a week every summer of my life to afford school, and 20 hrs a week during school and i do without most luxuries most college students get. Save your sanctimonius preaching. It is very rare for people to work part time during medical school, and i do plan on working on all my breaks.

fab4fan said:

Medical school is nothing like nursing school. Nurses take 2-3 watered down pseudo science courses. Years 1-2 of medical school are advanced grad school level courses and years 3-4 are rotations . Unlike nursing school our rotations don't usually involve bankers hours(7-3) we sometimes work 80 hours plus call. So don't try to compare nursing with medicine because working a part time job (some even work full time) during nursing school is quite feasible. In the future please refrain from making comments on subjects you are unfamiliar with. Common sense would dictate that if med students could work PT many probably would. By the way since you appear to revel in spewing venomous comments why don't you post on allnurses.com and avoid studentdoctor.net

I post here because I can. And if you knew my post history, you would know that most of the time, I am totally supportive of you guys. But not on this. Food stamps are supposed to be for emergencies. Yes, I know the benefit has been administered poorly, but that doesn't mean it's OK to capitalize on that.

As far as docs having to pay higher taxes, yeah, maybe, but you'll also have access to accountants/atty's who know how to "redistribute" that wealth so you pay as little as possible. The wealthy aren't taxed nearly as severely as the middle-class when you factor in all the special breaks.

I've known plenty of docs who did some jobs for extra money. If you can't because of the program you're attending, you should have already factored that in to deciding how you'll make ends meet. As a taxpayer, I'm already helping pay your tuition, in part. You want me to pay more now?

Oh, and thanks for the attempted ridiculing of nursing. How ironic that you chose "Nurses' Week (May 6-12)" to show your contempt for the people who do the majority of pt care and occasionally save a doc's butt or a pt's life. I'll just bet you're a real peach to work with.

fab4fan said:
Food stamps are supposed to be for emergencies.

I must have missed that part of the constitution. Or since it is completely legal to recieve food stamps for some medical students you must be appealing to a moral point of view. Please refer me to the verse in the Bible or Kuran or whatever book you wish that states that food stamps are only to be used in emergency situations.

Let's go to the replay:

FOOD STAMPS

PROGRAM ADMINISTRATION:

The Food Stamp program is a federal program administered by the US Dept. of Agriculture and managed in Connecticut by The Department of Social Services (DSS)

The following is summarized from the sources listed below:

A person must be a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen to qualify for food stamps

WHO CAN GET FOOD STAMPS?

U.S. citizens and certain legal immigrants who have little or no income and very few assets are likely to be eligible for food stamps. This includes, but is not limited to, people who are:

Unemployed
Retired with no or low pension or Social Security income
Working, but earning low wages
On state cash assistance (TFA, SAGA, or State Supplement)
Homeless
Legal immigrants who are disabled and receiving disability benefits (SSI, or disability-related Medicaid) are eligible for federal food stamps without a waiting period. Sponsor deeming and sponsor liability apply to disabled immigrants who entered the U.S. after December 19, 1997 and have enforceable affidavits of support.
Students in post-secondary schools (college) can receive food stamps if:
Age under 18 or 60+
Physically or mentally disabled
Receiving TFA
Responsible for more that 50% of the care of a dependent family member if under age 6 or age 6-12 if adequate care is not available
Enrolled less than half time
Enrolled half time or more and employed a minimum of 20 hrs/wk
Placed in higher education by the Workforce Investment Act (former JTPA) program.
WHO CAN NOT GET FOOD STAMPS?

The following CANNOT get food stamps, regardless of how low their income is:

Most strikers.
Most college and university students between the ages of 18-59, unless they meet one of the exceptions listed above
Illegal immigrants
USDA WEB SITE ON IMMIGRANT ELIGIBILITY

http://www.fns.usda.gov/fsp/rules/Memo/Support/03/polimgrt.htm

fab4fan said:
The Constitution has nothing to do with this.

I looked at several state sites re: food stamps, just out of curiosity. Here's your answer:

http://www.infoline.org/informationlibrary/Documents/Food Stamps cw.asp

I must be missing something here because according to your website I am eligible for food stamps yet you are saying it is immoral. So I repeat my previous inquiry. Where is this higher law that states what is moral and immoral above and beyond the law stated on the site you posted?

If you see an ethical dilemna with the food stamps program and who is and isn't eligible maybe you should do something productive like writing your congressman. It's certainly a much better use of your time than trying to be a moral savior on sdn.

Yeah, you're eligible...if you bothered to read the qualifications. If you meet them, have at it:

Students in post-secondary schools (college) can receive food stamps if:
Age under 18 or 60+
Physically or mentally disabled
Receiving TFA
Responsible for more that 50% of the care of a dependent family member if under age 6 or age 6-12 if adequate care is not available
Enrolled less than half time
Enrolled half time or more and employed a minimum of 20 hrs/wk
Placed in higher education by the Workforce Investment Act (former JTPA) program.
WHO CAN NOT GET FOOD STAMPS?

The following CANNOT get food stamps, regardless of how low their income is:

Most strikers.
Most college and university students between the ages of 18-59, unless they meet one of the exceptions listed above
Illegal immigrants

Perhaps I wasn't clear in my earlier post when I said you chose that financial burden by going to medical school.

The bottom line is you won't qualify for stamps unless you meet the exceptions listed.

Moral savior of SDN? That's truly laughable.

fab4fan said:
Yeah, you're eligible...if you bothered to read the qualifications. If you meet them, have at it:

The bottom line is you won't qualify for stamps unless you meet the exceptions listed.

Let me get this clear. I tell you that my family qualifies for food stamps. You state that it is immoral to take them pointing me toward a website setting forth the requirements for food stamps' eligibility. I follow that with another statement that I do indeed qualify asking again for the basis of the moral viewpoint. You then follow by cutting and pasting the relevant material from the previous posted website, while at the same time insinuating that I may not meet the qualifications. So once again I will state that my family (and many of my classmates) does indeed qualify for food stamps.

You can now expound on your moral beliefs or you can continue to skirt the issue and repaste the above information (maybe if you put the important information in bold this time it will be more effective).

The bottom line is that the argument for and against medical students receiving food stamps is not a question of legality, and unless you have personally qualified for and chose not to recieve food stamps your moral pedestal lacks a foundation.

So to the OP, by all means apply for food stamps and allow the program administrator to determine your eligibility.

So I guess the poor folk coming from generations of poverty and uneducation should settle for phlebotomy and lose their long lost dreams of becoming doctors because they made need public assistance?! Peuwee. :barf:

That is the problem today. People (for various reasons) at the bottom of the totum pole are not encouraged to reach to the top.

I personally, do not qualify for food stamps. But you can best believe if I had I wouldn't care what any of you people thought. I do it in a heartbeat. I am uncertain why you posted your opionions regarding the "moral grounds" of getting them as it was unnecessary. The OP wanted to know how to apply and now we have a bunch of opinions here--and you know that they say about those.

northstar said:
Common sense would dictate that if med students could work PT many probably would.

I work in a hospital and find it ironic that the medical students who work are the ones with wife/kids. How they manage to do it is beyond me, but the point is they DO IT! I think this gets into the subject of entitlement. When reading posts in other threads about "how much time a med student has", it appears that there is always down time during non testing weeks, which would be a feasible time to pick up some hours - the goal being food dollars. And if someone worked fulltime for 3 months prior to medical school at $8.00/hour, this is over $3800 before taxes. This is quite a bit of money to put towards food. The thought of paying interest and loan money on food sickens me. I plan on living off Ramen noodles, packing my lunch instead of eating out like most other students plan to do, and not get food stamps. I am also living in a great apartment with 2 roommates that lowers my living budget tremendously. I will not need the budget set forth by my school because of the choices I have made.

So my point is that it is not common sense as this poster has said. It is personal choice. Choose wisely. The choices will haunt us for many years.

Many people in my grandfather's generation believe that investing in the stock market is no better than gambling (much of this attitude stems from the depression). They seem to think that by putting money into mutual funds and such you are gambling away your future and even worse the future of your children. He is wrong, but you'll never convince him of that.

If you feel like getting food stamps is wrong or bad then by all means don't get them, but don't make it look like you are doing the world a favor by taking the high road because like my grandfather you are wrong.

I agree the program gives out too much money and a lot of people take advantage of it, but I'll tell you this, my kids are much healthier because we can afford to buy real food like fruits and vegetables. Being able to afford a quality diet keeps my children healthy. If my children are healthy they don't have to go to the doctor's office nearly as much which saves the taxpayers money because, yup you guessed it, the medical bills for my kids are paid by medicaid. :eek: :eek: :eek:

CruiseLover said:
I work in a hospital and find it ironic that the medical students who work are the ones with wife/kids. How they manage to do it is beyond me, but the point is they DO IT! I think this gets into the subject of entitlement. When reading posts in other threads about "how much time a med student has", it appears that there is always down time during non testing weeks, which would be a feasible time to pick up some hours - the goal being food dollars. And if someone worked fulltime for 3 months prior to medical school at $8.00/hour, this is over $3800 before taxes. This is quite a bit of money to put towards food. The thought of paying interest and loan money on food sickens me. I plan on living off Ramen noodles, packing my lunch instead of eating out like most other students plan to do, and not get food stamps. I am also living in a great apartment with 2 roommates that lowers my living budget tremendously. I will not need the budget set forth by my school because of the choices I have made.

So my point is that it is not common sense as this poster has said. It is personal choice. Choose wisely. The choices will haunt us for many years.

Some people work like that before med school to live and can't save a penny of it. It does not go very far especially if you have others depending on your income.

Also, most people who are single are not receptive to roommates who have children. Not every med student is single. Which I am sure you know.

Also, depending on family size, it is not that hard to believe that a med student with kids, working part-time or hours here and there qualify for food stamps. It is not suprising to me at all.

I see helping others, especially med students, in this case, by means of public programs is a good investment. I mean think of it in efficacy/utility terms--they will (in the future) be in the higher tax bracket, and thus can contribute more monetary means for what ever our government sees fit.

I was told that most med students on loans can get money for heating bills etc from some organizations in the cities where they live....

CruiseLover said:

not if you're going to medical missions or work in a third world country...

Not everyone has a healthy income they are giving up to go to medical school, either...I work in a job where I lose income every time my back goes out or I get sick and this isn't going to work forever...I am starting a new career with better prospects.

registered user said:
Mmmmmm. . . . . government cheese.

I would have never thought of this... I'm sure I would not qualify but I don't see how anyone without a family wouldn't just take loans up to the cost of attendance to buy groceries. Granted, they are only giving you usually 1000 per month to live on (rent, utlities, food, minimal personal items), that is enough provided you don't also have a family to support, I would think...

So, the way I think of it is: you have no income, so suck it up and take loans out for your living expenses you are able to and there is no one else to help you like a spouse or parents... it's not like you won't be able to pay the loans back... :rolleyes:

fab4fan said:
I post here because I can. And if you knew my post history, you would know that most of the time, I am totally supportive of you guys. But not on this. Food stamps are supposed to be for emergencies. Yes, I know the benefit has been administered poorly, but that doesn't mean it's OK to capitalize on that.

As far as docs having to pay higher taxes, yeah, maybe, but you'll also have access to accountants/atty's who know how to "redistribute" that wealth so you pay as little as possible. The wealthy aren't taxed nearly as severely as the middle-class when you factor in all the special breaks.

I've known plenty of docs who did some jobs for extra money. If you can't because of the program you're attending, you should have already factored that in to deciding how you'll make ends meet. As a taxpayer, I'm already helping pay your tuition, in part. You want me to pay more now?

Oh, and thanks for the attempted ridiculing of nursing. How ironic that you chose "Nurses' Week (May 6-12)" to show your contempt for the people who do the majority of pt care and occasionally save a doc's butt or a pt's life. I'll just bet you're a real peach to work with.

Shut that **** up. I don't need the foodstamps, but you make me reconsider. So work harder, I would love to blow your money.