Food Stamps or other assistance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Napoleon1801

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone tried getting access to resources in addition to loans? Know if we have eligibility for any other "financial need" type programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone tried getting access to resources in addition to loans? Know if we have eligibility for any other "financial need" type programs?

guy in my class did it. I think its genius. If I could do it over I would have got on stamps and medicaid your going to be paying for it for the rest of your life anyway

I tried....apparently the 9k I make a year is too much money to qualify. WTF! You have to pretty much be a total bum and have no desire to earn anything in my state to get approved. It's ridiculous how we reward people for being irresponsible.

I didn't qualify for medicaid either because I don't have a string of illegitimate children.

If you can get any help awesome! Go for it! If you live in Florida you are screwed.

Members don't see this ad :)
does participating in these types of programs have any type of negative repercussions (ie like lowering your credit score, etc)?

does participating in these types of programs have any type of negative repercussions (ie like lowering your credit score, etc)?

I'd imagine the government agency wouldn't be too happy with you if they found out you were a medical student with ample loans taking out food stamps.

As for credit score, I don't see what difference that would make.

I'd imagine the government agency wouldn't be too happy with you if they found out you were a medical student with ample loans taking out food stamps.

As for credit score, I don't see what difference that would make.

I'd rather the government support a struggling medical student with loans then some crack ***** with 10 kids and a big screen TV. One will give back, the other will continue to take.

I was hoping I qualify as my spouse will probably not be able to work much and we'll have an infant in tow by August. It'll be extremely tight supporting a family of three on my student loans w/o assistance.

I'd rather the government support a struggling medical student with loans then some crack ***** with 10 kids and a big screen TV. One will give back, the other will continue to take.

"Struggling medical student". I have a feeling the rest of the country doesn't feel the same way you do.

Eventually the Democrats will seek to "help" welfare recipients by not just shoving surplus food down their throat and slinging a donated coat around their body, but by actually trying to "solve" whatever problems led them to welfare. Perhaps they are unemployed because they can't find affordable childcare. Maybe there is a lack of education, substance abuse, psychological disturbance, etc.

When the social worker asks a medical student why they are unemployed, on food stamps, and on Medicaid for the past 2 years, the answer will inevitably be that they are in medical school and therefore have no intention of finding a job and getting off the dole anytime soon. For the sake of accountability to the taxpaying public, the medical students will be labeled cunning freeloaders who abuse the system and told to either start actively looking for work or stop picking Uncle Sam's pockets.

Full-time students without dependent children don't qualify for foodstamps or Medicaid, people. If you have kiddos and a non-working spouse, you might qualify.

Full-time students without dependent children don't qualify for foodstamps or Medicaid, people. If you have kiddos and a non-working spouse, you might qualify.

I believe everyone is aware. That is a huge problem. Not all full-time students are children. Not all full-time students have parents supporting them. I'm a full-time student and I work 40 hours a week. It's not easy. And money is still tight. But because I'm responsible and I didn't pop out 12 illegitimate children that I couldn't afford, I some how don't "deserve" to have food stamps help me. It's idiotic. I have a very specialized diet because I have Crohn's disease and celiac's disease. Do you have any idea how expensive it is to try to eat just sort of healthy?

America rewards people for being lazy and irresponsible but screws those of us actually trying to do something with our lives. Maybe we should all just drop out of school and pull an octo-mom. At least then we would be able to get some help....ridiculous.

xscpx-- I totally agree about your (our) situation. We live in a such a messed up country.

I think being a full time student (perhaps, even proving it with transcripts, enrollment verification, etc.) should more than justify getting assistance like medicaid, food stamps, etc. "Student loans" (at high interest rates, no less!) should not be the answer for basic necessities like food and healthcare. If we're going to pay high taxes in the future, anyway, I don't see why it's even a problem.

xscpx-- I totally agree about your (our) situation. We live in a such a messed up country.

I think being a full time student (perhaps, even proving it with transcripts, enrollment verification, etc.) should more than justify getting assistance like medicaid, food stamps, etc. "Student loans" (at high interest rates, no less!) should not be the answer for basic necessities like food and healthcare. If we're going to pay high taxes in the future, anyway, I don't see why it's even a problem.

Exactly! And since we are the future healthcare workers (docs, pharms, ph) we will be commanding larger salaries and paying a lot more in taxes! It's really insane...not at all logical.

Something needs to be done. We are the future of this country and it seems like they are trying to destroy us before we even get started! Healthcare and food should not be things anyone should have to worry about, especially if you are trying to better your life and the country.