how do I apply for the federal direct loan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caferine

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be a first year student at MCV this fall, and their financial website is not very helpful. I was wondering how I apply for the Federal Direct Loan (formerly the Stafford Loan). When is the application due, where do I get the application, how long does it until I get the money in my account, etc. I just have no clue about this.

I have already completed the FAFSA application, so what are the other steps? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The financial aid office at your school will send you a "package" that will list the loans/grants you are eligible for. If they are a "direct lending" institution, they will take care of everything for you once you sign for the loans you accept/decline. If they are not a direct lending institution, they should send you a preferred lenders list (if not, ask for one) and a Master Promissory Note. You fill out the Master Promissory Note and pick a lender. You will usually receive the money a week or so after classes start and once the school has received their share of your loans.