How do Canadian Schools view community college courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boblittle

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an opportunity to study Medical Lab Technology, which is a very appealing to me as someone who is highly interested in pursuing Lab/Diagnostic Medicine. I currently study biochem, and while I haven't faced anything overtly difficult yet, the upper year Calc, Physics, & P-Chem are a bit worrisome based on my performance so far. the MLS degree would allow me to A] Not take any more Physics, and avoid the p-chem+maths nightmare; B] take literally every course I want to take sans a few, and C] have a job that'll pay off the loans and is a solid backup if med school doesn't work out. Additionally, the MLS has numerous opportunities to get involved with clinical research within the province and I'm super into that. The kicker is the MLT program involves half the program be taught at the local community college, and I'm not sure how this would affect my med school aspirations.

The courses I'd be taking at the university would include; Anatomy, Physiology, Pathophysiology, Virology, Genetics, Micro & Cell Bio, Histology, Biochem, Toxicology, Organic Chem 1 & 2, Analytical Chem, Calculus, Biostatistics, as well as associated labs for all of these. The college courses would be mainly courses to get Practical Skills (Microscopy, Imaging, etc...), Phlebotomy, Haematology, and Lab Management certifications, as well as the clinical hours required to be licenced by the CSMLS.

For what it's worth, I would graduate and receive the degree from the university and not the college.

tldr; interested in MLS as my premed program, MLS is 2 years at a uni, 2 years at a community college, how does this affect my app for Maritime and Ontario schools?

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you will have a Bachelor degree and meet the course requisites, you should be fine for all Canadian medical schools. There are other undergraduate programs where students spend 1-2 years in a community college (e.g., paramedicine program at UTSC) on top of the regular university courses.

However, you should still confirm with the admissions with regards to GPA calculations.