How disruptive could SBRT be for Interventional Oncology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RadsFTW123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is a pretty active thread going on SIR Connect about the use of SBRT instead of RFA/Cryo/MW, etc. for HCC, any solid tumor met to the liver, lung, and potentially others. Would be interested in getting perspective of people that post on here based on what you're seeing in your practices. I think this could be disruptive for a few reason:

1) Appeal to patient: SBRT is totally non-invasive. Sure, it can take several fractionations and patient may have to miss more time from family or work, but the marketing appeal and appeal from patient perspective is not hard to agree with.

2) Business/$$ reasons: The papers I've seen on SBRT aren't that impressive (a few retrospective articles) and it isn't in the NCCN guidelines for HCC at least. However, at our institution (and especially in some private practices per the SIR Connect people), many patients are being treated with SBRT. As oncology groups are now often large conglomerates that include med onc, surg onc, and rad onc (but usually not IR) and own these facilities, there is a powerful financial incentive to do SBRT over a percutaneous ablation as long as its not worse than percutaneous ablation. In these practice settings, for financial reasons, SBRT doesn't need to be proved to be better than RFA or MW to catch on, just not worse, which is a big deal.

3) Widely applicable - this technology can be adapted to lots of different tumor types

What is the best response to not only improve this therapy but keep IR involved?
-Investigate synergistic therapies (i.e. pre-SBRT embolization or something like that)
-Focus on cost-effectiveness (not that anyone seems to care about this). Recent article in Radiology looked at this, SBRT is really expensive (hence why onc groups prefer to use it in #2 above, "Cost" = "Revenue")
-Expose the conflicts of interest - it'd be interesting to investigate SBRT use in multidisciplinary groups that include Rad Onc vs. more fragmented systems where the med and surg ones don't have a financial incentive to refer to SBRT. This wouldn't be a very successful strategy and would likely just make people mad (i.e. multiple studies show that neurologists order way more MRs if they own equipment, hasn't changed anything)

And finally, disaster scenario:
-What's the chance that SBRT could be used for multifocal unresectable disease and reduce the use of TACE/Y90? It seems like this would be difficult to implement. I'm not sure if a reduction in percutaneous ablation cases is too much of a blow for IR departments, but a reduction in TACE/Y90 would be pretty bad.

Members don't see this ad.

Most high end IR programs have interdisciplinary liver tumor board involving surg onc, IR/IO, and rad onc. There are numerous reasons to send a patient to SBRT and numerous reasons to sent to IO instead. Obviously the gold standard is surgical resection but there is also plenty of literature supporting curative ablation in certain cases.
tldr - don't worry about SBRT taking over IO.

It's a legit point. Sbrt in lung ca is pretty much the standard of care now in patients who are medically inoperable.

The data just isn't there for rfa, in terms of high quality randomized stuff, and the retrospective stuff that is there suggests poorer control rates the larger the tumor is, esp >2 cm.

I expect similar things will happen with liver sbrt

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a legit point. Sbrt in lung ca is pretty much the standard of care now in patients who are medically inoperable.

The data just isn't there for rfa, in terms of high quality randomized stuff, and the retrospective stuff that is there suggests poorer control rates the larger the tumor is, esp >2 cm.

I expect similar things will happen with liver sbrt
Yeah, I am fairly concerned about it. Ablations aren't that commonly done anyway, but if it starts to compete with TACE or Y90 it will be a hugely negative impact on IR.

Yeah, I am fairly concerned about it. Ablations aren't that commonly done anyway, but if it starts to compete with TACE or Y90 it will be a hugely negative impact on IR.
Less scrupulous IR docs in the community will try to RFA lung lesions, offering it after performing the initial diagnostic biopsy without involving a multidisciplinary team including rad onc/med onc, CT surgery and pulmonology

Less scrupulous IR docs in the community will try to RFA lung lesions, offering it after performing the initial diagnostic biopsy without involving a multidisciplinary team including rad onc/med onc, CT surgery and pulmonology
Could say the same thing about unscrupulous rad oncs and med-onc colleagues doing SBRT on liver patients before they show up at a tumor board, which definitely happens... obviously everyone is better off if things are discussed as a group, but there are so many shady docs out there from ALL specialties.

Could say the same thing about unscrupulous rad oncs and med-onc colleagues doing SBRT on liver patients before they show up at a tumor board, which definitely happens... obviously everyone is better off if things are discussed as a group, but there are so many shady docs out there from ALL specialties.
Except sbrt is in the nccn guidelines for management of liver and lung tumors. Rfa isn't for lung.

Agree that all patients should be presented at multi a tumor boards but rfa isn't a standard for early stage lung outside of post radiation recurrences. The data is mostly retrospective and it sucks, esp once lesson size gets to 2cm+

Curious what you think about the prospective non randomized RAPTURE trial for lung rfa. That was up to 3.5 cm and had 1 year CR of 88%. It was patients unfit for surgery, Chemo or radiation therapy (sicker population). Mixed population of NSCLC (1/3) and metastatic disease (mostly CRC). The results are from older technology but are rather promising. Wonder what the effects of cryoablative therapy or microwave would be as they have showcased some promise in retrospective analysis.

Last edited:
Curious what you think about the prospective non randomized RAPTURE trial for lung rfa. That was up to 3.5 cm and had 1 year CR of 88%. It was patients unfit for surgery, Chemo or radiation therapy (sicker population). Mixed population of NSCLC (1/3) and metastatic disease (mostly CRC). The results are from older technology but are rather promising. Wonder what the effects of cryoablative therapy or microwave would be as they have showcased some promise in retrospective analysis.

This is from a review article since I can't pull up the study:
"
A large multicenter study known as the Radiofre-
quency Ablation of Pulmonary Tumors Response Evalu-
ation (RAPTURE) trial included 106 patients [26]. Al-
though not yet published, these results provide
additional outcomes for both lung cancer and metastatic
colorectal cancer. This study comprised 33 NSCLC pa-
tients. The 2-year overall survival was 48%; however,
most of these high-risk patients were dying from non-
cancer-related causes, as indicated by their cancer-
specific survival, which was much higher at 92%.
The long-term outcomes in a cohort of 153 patients
were recently reported by Simon and colleagues [6]. This
study included 75 stage I NSCLC patients, who had a
median survival of 29 months. Overall survival at 1, 2, 3,
4, and 5 years was 78%, 57%, 36%, 27%, and 27%,
respectively. Local tumor progression was reported for
all tumors rather than by tumor type. The key finding
was that there were differences in local control between
tumors 3 cm or less in size compared with tumors larger
than 3 cm. In the patients with smaller tumors, median
time to progression was 45 months, and progression-free
rates at 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 years were 83%, 64%, 57%, 47%,
and 47%, respectively. In the patients with larger tumors,
median time to progression was 12 months, and the
progression-free rates at 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 years were 45%,
25%, 25%, 25%, and 25%, respectively. One factor that
may have affected these results is that all ablations were
performed using the single-needle or cluster-tip VL
probes, which may not as effective for tumors larger than
3 cm.
These results are considerably worse than that re-
ported after resection, and surgical resection (lobar or
sublobar) should continue to remain the standard of care
for NSCLC."

A 2 yr progression-free rate of 64% for the smaller tumor cohort is awful compared to accelerated xrt, let alone sbrt

like I said, crappy data for larger lesion sizes and honestly smaller ones as well. It's a function of how rfa works vs xrt.

Last edited:
The Rapture is a published prospective trial and it took patients who were unfit for surgery and unable to get Chemo/RT and still had reasonable results with older technology. It would be nice to have an RCT comparing SBRT to local regional ablative techniques in the lung, to really answer this question. Comparing data sets or retrospective series tend to be methodologically flawed. Unfortunately these patients with NSCLC often have decreased FEV1 and have concomitant comorbid conditions (CAD/CHF etc) that may even result in non cancer related mortality.

I do think that combination Radiation therapy and ablative techniques may also have a role with some synergistic effects as showcased by the Brown group.

Also, cryoablative techniques and microwave are likely more potent as far as efficacy than RFA.

Do you have prospective RCT data or even prospective data for SBRT in the lung (for example for stage 1 non small lung cancer that is unresectable due to pulmonary function) or even prospective data for metastatic disease particularly colorectal cancer. I would love to see the survival data as well as local tumor control. Also, what did you use as your surrogate for local control ? (PET scan/Chest CT with contrast curves? etc).[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Do you have prospective RCT data or even prospective data for SBRT in the lung (for example for stage 1 non small lung cancer that is unresectable due to pulmonary function) or even prospective data for metastatic disease particularly colorectal cancer. I would love to see the survival data as well as local tumor control. Also, what did you use as your surrogate for local control ? (PET scan/Chest CT with contrast curves? etc).

CT chest I believe

All prospective:

Nsclc http://www.redjournal.org/article/S0360-3016(14)00786-X/abstract

Mets https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19255320

Sbrt vs lobectomy https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4499662/

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanonc/article/PIIS1470-2045(15)70168-3/fulltext?rss=yes

The STARS and ROSEL studies seal the deal against people doing rfa for lung outside of radiation recurrences imo. Still happens where I practice but most of the pulm and surgeons I practice with know the data so it's rare.