Interventional endoscopic ultrasound?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tman507

Reaction score
I heard that in Japan, besides general surgeons and gastro doing interventional EUS; that there are also IR that perform interventional EUS.
-Are there any IRs that do this?
-i think as endoscopy is becoming more complex, IR should start dipping their toe in this pond, what do you think?
-I heard that endoscopists are trying to figure out a way to perform an alternative to TIPS on EUS as well, the gastros already do RFAs and billiary stenting as well.

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

I heard that in Japan, besides general surgeons and gastro doing interventional EUS; that there are also IR that perform interventional EUS.
-Are there any IRs that do this?
-i think as endoscopy is becoming more complex, IR should start dipping their toe in this pond, what do you think?
-I heard that endoscopists are trying to figure out a way to perform an alternative to TIPS on EUS as well, the gastros already do RFAs and billiary stenting as well.

What do you guys think?
There are some out there doing it. I agree I feel it would be a good adjuvant.

Reactions: 1 user
i think as endoscopy is becoming more complex, IR should start dipping their toe in this pond, what do you think?

100% disagree. IR doesn't get nearly enough endoscopic training to be competent. These are not easy procedures...GI has a whole fellowship dedicated to advanced endoscopy.

Members don't see this ad :)
100% disagree. IR doesn't get nearly enough endoscopic training to be competent. These are not easy procedures...GI has a whole fellowship dedicated to advanced endoscopy.
I agree that some training in advanced endoscopy should be in order, I did not imply that rads should suddenly just do endoscopy without adequate training....Japan never had a structured fellowship for endoscopists in the past, literally any doctor could do endoscopy with some training or training under peer observation...so i don't see it as a big issue if IR/Rads body do enough cases under observation....general surgeons that do endoscopy say that they are the better option compared to gastros as they are surgeons and can handle more complications....Vascular surgery says the same thing about IR.
IR would probably pick up advanced endoscopy pretty quick as well.

There are some VIR physicians who do endoscopy. More and more VIR docs are performing cholecystostomy tubes and removing gallstones and doing some basic scoping.

Reactions: 1 user