How did you get first get involved in research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MJM - Editor

The McGill Journal of Med
Partner Organization
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Tell us about your first research experience!
(or how you lost your research virginity)

- Undergrad thesis project?
- High school science fair?
- Assisted an existing project?
- Summer job?

And how did you get your position/support?

Members don't see this ad.

By accident in college. I met this great professor at a local medical school. It turned out to be a great expereince. I've been hooked ever since.
MJM - Editor said:
Tell us about your first research experience!
(or how you lost your research virginity)

- Undergrad thesis project?
- High school science fair?
- Assisted an existing project?
- Summer job?

And how did you get your position/support?

I first come here and want to communicate with every one. I recently particitpated in research of therapy of tumor of vesicular stomatitis virus.I am not sure of its novelty and innovativity! who know !! thanx!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I first got involved with research in my 2nd of undergrad and continued through my second year of medical school.
The different programs that supported my research: Howard Hughes, Ronald McNair,& NIH programs.
One first author publication, another one pending.

National Science Foundation research fellowship over the summer between my freshman and sophomore years of college. Great experience.

Applied to a bunch of summer programs for the summer after my sophomore year (this past one) and was accepted into one. I liked it so much that I'm doing research for my pre-med advisor at school now.

I found different programs by doing a google search. There's a lot of them if you just look for them.

At the start of my 3rd year in college one of my professors announced in class that her psych lab was looking for some research assistants. I filled out the application, was interviewed, one of the grad students picked me up to assist on her project, and I was hooked. I worked with her until I graduated, and then went on to other research projects.

In high school AP Bio we had to do a research project, and what I wanted to do was beyond what we had the facilities for. So the teacher hooked me up with professor at the U of MN. I started helping with a little project, which continued from the second half of my senior year in high school and into my first semester of college where I got credit, got paid, and got experience. And the rest is history.

Kind of stumbled across my project by bringing an idea up with my psychology professor and he was like "You should do some research into that. If you want to, I'll be your mentor, but you can set it up as you see fit. That's the best way to learn."

My first senior year of college. Ended my baseball career, and was bouncing off of walls looking for something to fill the void I had without sports. My G/f at the time had a friend who was leaving a lab for pharm school, and said you should apply for his open RA position-- the PI is great, he's a big baseball fan, and you'll learn so much from him and the lab experience in general as well ( I was also undecided about what to do with my education/degree at that time as well). 7 years later, I'm still in a lab and loving every minute of it.

My physics prof sophomore year told me I should come to a meeting about materials research. I worked with her for a few months, and then went to my advisor and asked how I could get into a bio lab. She asked me to work with her, and I've been hooked on biomed research ever since.

I had no idea what I was thinking but I graduated HS with huge ideas and my first project was Cross Cultural Evaluation of Social Moors. I interviewed people from 15 different countries and had no idea how to analyze the data.... :oops:

my senior year of college, my advisor told me a prof was looking for a research asst and I would be perfect. i applied and got the job. i loved the research, had so much fun... and after college went on to work in public health research for 4 years before finally realizing i needed to apply to med school because i love medicine and public health so much.

talked to my profs and asked them if they needed any more hands

At my school research was compulsory for graduation, and everyone had to do a 4th year honours thesis (8-12 months of research).

A lot of us (myself included) got our first taste of bench research doing a summer NSERC.

(Summer NSERCs are 4 month long research scholarships in the natural sciences funded by the Canadian government).