How do you get a first author publication in a reputable American medical journal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ambogeo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a medical student new to research. Just wanted to know what kind of criteria they look for when publishing in an American medical journal.

I heard having a first author publication is really good for residency (also heard it is very difficult).

So just wanted to get a little information on what they look for and how to go about it.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a medical student new to research. Just wanted to know what kind of criteria they look for when publishing in an American medical journal.

I heard having a first author publication is really good for residency (also heard it is very difficult).

So just wanted to get a little information on what they look for and how to go about it.

I'm confused by what you are asking. You are asking what it takes to have authorship? Most journals have author guidelines and requirements for authorship. Usually, it means a significant contribution to the paper, writing, doing the experiment, analysis, proofreading etc. The first author usually contributes the most and at is supervised by the senior author (usually the last author).

American medical journals? Are you just saying Pubmed indexed? Again the criteria for submission is usually journal dependent. The best way to know is to go to the journal of interest website and look for something like "Scope of the Journal" and make sure your project fits what the journal likes to publish. Honestly, this can be a crapshoot.

Reactions: 2 users
My guess he's asking about the path to take to get published into a journal like JAMA , NEJM , etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't need to have a first author publication on JAMA or NEJM to be competitive for residency.....

You don't need to have a first author publication on JAMA or NEJM to be competitive for residency.....

Need ? No . Want ? Yes ! Honestly I'm gunning for NEJM even thinking about sending them a quick take to encourage publishing. IF I manage to pull that trough I won't shut up about it trough the rest of my career. Unless I stumble in a pot of luck and get a sweetish babe Nobel. Then I'd be the most chatty ass with a scalpel in the galaxy.