How did you decide between onc vs heme?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unleash500

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What drew you to one field vs the other?

Members don't see this ad.

thumb_why-not-both-memegenerator-net-in-the-wake-of-yet-another-31192960.png

Reactions: 1 user
Shrug I guess that is what most people end up doing....

I ask this because everyone always asks me if I am more interested in solid vs liquid cancer haha and I am really not really sure at this point.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are many facets that one should consider when deciding on hematology or oncology focused career.

1. Many private practice or hospital-based positions will require that you see everything. You are paid based on the clinical RVUs that you generate and thus it is an "eat-what-you-kill" model. Specialization is afforded in larger practices "hybrid practices" or some university positions, although generally people identify with either a heme or onc focus.

2. I find many trainees identify with an interest in hematologic malignancies because simply, hematologic malignancies are both interesting and there is more exposure to heme malignancies in medical school and residency due to the inpatient nature of medical training. Solid malignancies are cared for in the clinic, and most trainees do not have as much exposure to this setting. The failures/complications of solid tumor malignancies are seen by trainees on the medical wards, and these patients are often less hopeful given the reasons for their inpatient care. It is my belief that this exposure leads to much of the interest in heme malignancies for trainees.

3. Quality of life for onc focused practice is superior to heme focused practice. Heme patients are acutely more sick (although often curable).

4. Compensation seems to be somewhat better for oncology positions.

5. There are more patients with solid cancers than liquid cancers. Thus, you will have more options for employment as an oncologist with a GI, GU, breast, lung focus than a leukemia focus. If you want to be at the top of the leukemia world in academics, there are a handful of centers at which to pursue a career. This is geographically limiting.

I agree with the post above. If you do not love leukemia, do something else. I love leukemia and I am currently grappling with this.

Reactions: 1 user