When did you know heme/onc was right for you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

liquidcrawler

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a new intern at a very well regarded IM program and am just considering my options for fellowship moving forward. Currently bouncing around the idea of GI vs heme/onc (I realize they're fairly different). When in your training did you commit to applying heme/onc? Unfortunately, my program does not allot interns much elective time and I'm not scheduled for any heme/onc blocks. I'm worried it will be difficult to commit without any direct exposure. Mainly interested in the onc side, but I enjoy heme as well.

Any advice? I'm not opposed to taking a hospitalist year to give myself more time. I'm not super concerned (at the moment) about matching because my program is fairly well regarded and I have no desire to go to places like MD anderson / danna farber / sloan kettering. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

by end of intern year, when I asked my residency program to put me on onc rotations and clinics for 2nd year

Hospitalist year is definitely viable and tons of people do it but figure it out sooner if you can