How depressed are you supposed to get on MS3 surgery?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

witzelsucht

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So...barely a few days into first clerkship on surgery and I'm hating life. Wishing for the sweet days of pathoma and uworld. I'm trying to be proactive and get in to see stuff on the floors and work on my physical exam skills, but it seems my residents just keep telling me to go down to the OR and "find cases" to scrub in on. My feet and back are killing me, fighting with the girlfriend, tired all the time (despite what seems like a relatively easy schedule w/r/t hours. It seems like a have a few hours a day to read but I can't seem to focus because I'm so physically and emotionally fatigued.

I'm interested in IM or EM so obviously I know that is working against me, interest wise, but it still seems like my misery is out of proportion to my classmates. They let me do some suctioning and skin stapling which is kinda fun, but for the other 2 hours of the surgery I'm bored to tears. I stand there and pray I get vagal or vomit so I can be kicked out of the OR, but no such luck.

Lady friend thinks I just need to suck it up and learn to work. I have significant-ish work experience, at least compared to my peers, but I guess its always been on my terms, in that I could always have just said **** it and quit and lived off my parents.

Spent the weekend reading about concierge FM, PMR, psych, etc. and I feel like I'm resigning myself to the fact that I lack the fortitude to do anything "tough." I know those guys all have to do internship, and their jobs are just as hard in different ways, but its just the hours are killing me. At the same time, I know I'm pulling 12-14 hour days with plenty of time for food and coffee so its not even that bad. 3 years ago I was doing 24 hour EMT shifts and constantly looking for bs to do like re-organizing the supply room because I wanted to work and be busy, now I'm caught in this limbo of trying to sneak off to sit down for a while, vs. trying to stick around the residents to find some tasks to do, even fetching papers or whatever. I don't even know what I'm typing all this for....

Am I depressed? Too much ADD for surgery? Suck it up for 6 more weeks and be grateful I'm in med school? I'm not going to fail the clerkship as long as I keep showing up right?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I only read the first two or three sentences.

Every clerkship can be difficult to adjust to, especially your first one, and especially one like surgery that has bad hours and requires a lot of studying. After the first 2-3 weeks, you'll get into a groove an you'll be fine. Work hard, don't complain, smile, know a few jokes, and carry Pestana in your white coat, and you'll get through it.

Reactions: 3 users
Gen surg is your FIRST clerkship? Jesus, your school is administered by sadists.

IMO it should be after IM, so that you've been through those UW qs before you have to take the surg. shelf.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently on surgery as well though on the other side (finishing up MS3 with it - currently on my second to last week). Surgery has been, by far, the worst rotation I've had yet. I actually enjoyed the "surgery" part of it, but the hours and constantly being tired really beat me down. I haven't felt so... unbalanced before in my life.

If you have no interest in surgery, keep your nose to the grindstone, spend a bit of time prepping for cases, and make studying for the shelf your priority, TBH I think it's good that you're getting surgery out of the way first - things can only get better from here. I know that's not much solace, but unless your school just has absolutely terrible rotations across the board, this will almost certainly be the most prolonged amount of suck you experience. That's not to say that other parts of MS3 don't suck, but none of it was as sustained as I've experienced on surgery.

Best of luck, and stay strong comrade.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm having trouble understanding what you hate about the clerkship. The hours? The attendings? The residents? The pimping during surgeries (if that even happens for you)? You seem so far to be doing things haphazardly rather than having a game plan of what you're supposed to do - I guess it's bc it's your very first clerkship. Yes, the IMHO ridiculous hours of General Surgery makes things so much worse than they need to be. That being said if you're going into IM or FM, there are things you can learn on the clerkship that are pertinent bc as an intern sometimes you will have to page Surgery as a consult.

Gen surg is your FIRST clerkship? Jesus, your school is administered by sadists.

Huh? Realize that that some people have to have Surgery as their first clerkship. In fact, usually ~1/8th to 1/4th of the class, depending on how the year is structured. That's just how it works.

Reactions: 6 users

IMO it should be after IM, so that you've been through those UW qs before you have to take the surg. shelf.
Everyone doesn't take the clerkship at the same time. Some schools it's randomized or you choose the order or you put in your preferences and they try their best to give you the order you ask for. Different people are on different rotations. The hardcore SDNer knows to ask for Surgery after IM, since nearly all the Surgery shelf exam questions are more Medicine-like in nature.

Reactions: 1 user
you could hone in on your suturing skills. ask the attending/resident if you could help closing or practice on some resected bowel. might as well try getting something out of this rotation.

I worked 100+ hrs/wk and drove to the south side of Chicago uphill both ways at 3:45am in the snow AND I STILL LOVED MY GEN SURG CLERKSHIP.

God damn med students these days.

I love being an MD. Makes me feel all tough and stuff.

Reactions: 15 users
Surgery was my first clerkship during M3 year and like you I hated it. The good news is that it's all downhill from here. Be happy that you're getting it over with first and you can look forward to the rest of the year. Even bad days on other rotations were far better for me than the best days of surgery. So when you're feeling blue, just tell yourself it will be over sooner than later and nothing the rest of year will be as bad.

Yeah, I only read the first two or three sentences.

Every clerkship can be difficult to adjust to, especially your first one, and especially one like surgery that has bad hours and requires a lot of studying. After the first 2-3 weeks, you'll get into a groove an you'll be fine. Work hard, don't complain, smile, know a few jokes, and carry Pestana in your white coat, and you'll get through it.
LOL, at least you're honest.

I'm having trouble understanding what you hate about the clerkship. The hours? The attendings? The residents? The pimping during surgeries (if that even happens for you)? You seem so far to be doing things haphazardly rather than having a game plan of what you're supposed to do - I guess it's bc it's your very first clerkship. Yes, the IMHO ridiculous hours of General Surgery makes things so much worse than they need to be. That being said if you're going into IM or FM, there are things you can learn on the clerkship that are pertinent bc as an intern sometimes you will have to page Surgery as a consult.

He said the schedule was "relatively easy" w/r/t hours.

OP - It seems like, as some others said above, that you are sort of wandering the clerkship aimlessly without a clear set of expectations. Which is not necessarily your fault - it's the first clerkship so people should be understanding, and the clerkship facilitator should be the one setting the expectations.

For example - you mention that you are trying to be "proactive" by going around on the floor patients and practice your physical exam skills. In the mind of the surgery residents and attendings...being "proactive" means getting into the OR.

Now, it also seems like you just don't like the actual surgery element. There's not much I can do to help you there, except to say try and get involved. Read about the cases ahead of time so you know what you're going to be seeing. Take advantage of the fact that this is the only chance you'll have to see anatomy, and pathology, in real life. Ask questions. Learn what metastatic cancer actually looks like so you can have some appreciation of how awful it is and better empathize with/explain to your future patients when you're a medicine doctor. Learn how an appendectomy is done, or what a gangrenous gallbladder looks like, so that you'll have a better understanding when you're an EM attending.

As to your relationship issues...I have to say I agree with your lady friend...but then again I'm a surgeon so what do you expect? ;)

But you need to work on a few things relationship wise:
1. Be able to set things aside when you get home. It doesn't have to be a lot of time, but you need to have some quality time where you are emotionally present
2. Make sure she understands your time commitments, and don't make plans you can't keep. Don't tell her you'll be home at 6pm if that is the best case scenario (I never tell my fiancee I'm coming home until I'm literally walking out. If she asks for an ETA I'll try to give one, but I am ridiculously conservative with my estimates).
3. Don't take out your school/work frustrations on your relationship.

Reactions: 2 users
Surgery was my 1st clerkship. OB my second. I had no choice in the matter. Both were 80 hours or more per week. To me, nothing is fun for 80 hours a week. But I was thankful to surgery clerkship. They were militaristic towards med students and whooped me into shape. They taught me how to present a patient quickly and properly. And they did while they were working a lot harder than me.

So...if you're tired think about what they're doing. Then multiply that life times 5 years or more. Those poor bastards.

Also the bonds that I made with a few of my close friends during those months will last a lifetime.

Try to look beyond the immediate pain.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Surgery was my 1st clerkship. OB my second. I had no choice in the matter. Both were 80 hours or more per week. To me, nothing is fun for 80 hours a week. But I was thankful to surgery clerkship. They were militaristic towards med students and whooped me into shape. They taught me how to present a patient quickly and properly. And they did while they were working a lot harder than me.

So...if you're tired think about what they're doing. Then multiply that life times 5 years or more. Those poor bastards.

Also the bonds that I made with a few of my close friends during those months will last a lifetime.

Try to look beyond the immediate pain.

I did OB first. Definitely worked more than 80/week. We took 24 hr call on L&D which was always a blast. Despite the complaints about OB on this site, I actually had a great time - I had an awesome chief resident who taught me a lot. Like you said, she whipped my presentations in shape (had to, because the attending on the service was notoriously demanding and would tear the chief a new one if any of her underlings screwed up). She also let me do a ton - so I was doing endometrial biopsies and inserting IUDs in clinic, delivering babies (including one when she wasn't even in the room - though that was due to an emergency in one room and a really quick delivery in mine - the chief ran into the room just as the baby came out).

It's easier to work hard if you feel like the people around you are invested in your education.

Reactions: 1 users
Do any of the surgery attendings have clinic hours? When I did my 3rd year surgery rotation, I had 4-weeks of vascular surgery and 4-weeks of general surgery. If you haven't been in one of vascular ORs, the entire procedure, regardless of what/why they are doing the procedure, is nothing more than making an incision in the thigh or arm and passing wires for 6-8 hours while getting irradiated the entire time and hoping that the 10-lbs of lead you are wearing that whole time didn't make you pass out. There were 2 of 5 vascular attendings that I could actually stand to be around...if either of the two were ever in clinic, I would just join them...residents were too busy to care that I went to clinic, and the Fellow was pretty cool with it as long as i changed a bunch of wound-vacs and checked a bunch of feet for pulses.

General surgery wasn't too bad b/c there was enough variation between cases...but, really surgery wasn't very intellectually stimulating for me, so I would scrub a case or two (short ones) in the mornings and then just join an attending during their clinic...which honestly for someone who is interested in Family/Internal, the clinic is where you will see cases that get referred to the surgeon from IM/Family for eval, which I thought that was much more beneficial as an IM person myself, it also made the surgeries much more interesting when I followed these same patients from clinic into the OR.

I did OB first. Definitely worked more than 80/week. We took 24 hr call on L&D which was always a blast. Despite the complaints about OB on this site, I actually had a great time - I had an awesome chief resident who taught me a lot. Like you said, she whipped my presentations in shape (had to, because the attending on the service was notoriously demanding and would tear the chief a new one if any of her underlings screwed up). She also let me do a ton - so I was doing endometrial biopsies and inserting IUDs in clinic, delivering babies (including one when she wasn't even in the room - though that was due to an emergency in one room and a really quick delivery in mine - the chief ran into the room just as the baby came out).

It's easier to work hard if you feel like the people around you are invested in your education.

Cool. And true. Yeah, my chief resident on surgery was the type of man you're ashamed you're not. Making my work acceptable to him was a struggle but a rewarding experience. He was an inspiring person to be around. That probably made a huge qualitative difference in my experience and is probably why I respect surgeons so much.

Your experience is hardly the norm of actually getting to do a lot of procedures or anything of significance. http://theunderweardrawer.homestead.com/obgyn1.html

Last edited:
I'm currently on surgery as well though on the other side (finishing up MS3 with it - currently on my second to last week). Surgery has been, by far, the worst rotation I've had yet. I actually enjoyed the "surgery" part of it, but the hours and constantly being tired really beat me down. I haven't felt so... unbalanced before in my life.

If you have no interest in surgery, keep your nose to the grindstone, spend a bit of time prepping for cases, and make studying for the shelf your priority, TBH I think it's good that you're getting surgery out of the way first - things can only get better from here. I know that's not much solace, but unless your school just has absolutely terrible rotations across the board, this will almost certainly be the most prolonged amount of suck you experience. That's not to say that other parts of MS3 don't suck, but none of it was as sustained as I've experienced on surgery.

Best of luck, and stay strong comrade.

I remember when you were all, "I'm gonna love all of my rotations and everyone in them!" Sounds like that didn't pan out entirely as you planned.

I remember when you were all, "I'm gonna love all of my rotations and everyone in them!" Sounds like that didn't pan out entirely as you planned.
To be fair, it's not like MS-3 rotation experiences can be reproduced with volunteering experiences as a premed. At least @NickNaylor, is being completely honest on SDN with his experiences, and not putting on the "OMG, I just love clinicals!" routine. Even then, premeds won't believe anything he says. The ones who loved him for his MCAT, now don't want to hear the truth about MS-3 rotations from him and stick their fingers in their ears, saying "La! La! La! I can't hear you!!". Hopefully, there are future premeds with enough insight to see the progression and realize he's really being honest.

Last edited:

I'm also one of those people who said "I'm gonna love all of my rotations" and I actually have loved M3 year (finishing up in 2 weeks). Surgery involved a lot of rough hours, including 24-hour call, but the residents I worked with were absolutely awesome and some of the best teachers I've seen. Everyone on Ob/Gyn was super nice and easy to get along with. I didn't get to do as many procedures as @southernIM, but I certainly had an enjoyable time. Had great residents/teachers on IM and peds also. I learned an incredible amount! Honestly, I can't think of a single rotation I've disliked this year nor can I think of anyone I've genuinely clashed with on the wards. Pretty much everything lived up to my expectations.

As much as people like to commiserate about M3 year, people with experiences like I've had also exist.

To be fair, it's not like MS-3 rotation experiences can be reproduced with volunteering experiences as a premed. At least @NickNaylor, is being completely honest on SDN with his experiences, and not putting on the "OMG, I just love clinicals!" routine. Even then, premeds won't believe anything he says. The ones who loved him for his MCAT, now don't want to hear the truth about MS-3 rotations from him and stick their fingers in their ears, saying "La! La! La! I can't hear you!!". Hopefully, there are future premeds with enough insight to see the progression and realize he's really being honest.

This is absolutely true. Props to him for admitting the parts that sucked. However, he was completely insufferable exactly one year ago. As much as they get to say they don't want to listen, I get to say, "Nah nah nah... I was right. Nah nah nah." :p

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I'm also one of those people who said "I'm gonna love all of my rotations" and I actually have loved M3 year (finishing up in 2 weeks). Surgery involved a lot of rough hours, including 24-hour call, but the residents I worked with were absolutely awesome and some of the best teachers I've seen. Everyone on Ob/Gyn was super nice and easy to get along with. I didn't get to do as many procedures as @southernIM, but I certainly had an enjoyable time. Had great residents/teachers on IM and peds also. I learned an incredible amount! Honestly, I can't think of a single rotation I've disliked this year nor can I think of anyone I've genuinely clashed with on the wards. Pretty much everything lived up to my expectations.

As much as people like to commiserate about M3 year, people with experiences like I've had also exist.

Those experiences exist, and should be the norm. However, they are not. I'm going to do the best I can as a resident (although my time in the core rotations will be very short) to make the experience I have with each student as enjoyable as possible... As long as they care at all.

This is absolutely true. Props to him for admitting the parts that sucked. However, he was completely insufferable exactly one year ago. As much as they get to say they don't want to listen, I get to say, "Nah nah nah... I was right. Nah nah nah." :p

For a guy with a direct link to his Facebook in his posting history, you sure are quite inflammatory.

Dude, it's poor form to go through someone's posting history and bring up something like that.

Well it initially came up because I wanted to see if he's a dick to everyone or just me generally as he seems to take jabs at me in every thread we both post in. It was an incidental finding, not something I sought out. Perhaps this will encourage him to either delete his post with that info or chill out on whatever unexplained issue he seems to have with me.

Totally normal. Surgery is a soul sucking rotation that will make you question why you even decided to go to med school in the first place. Then it ends and life goes on.

Dude, it's poor form to go through someone's posting history and bring up something like that.

Well it initially came up because I wanted to see if he's a dick to everyone or just me generally as he seems to take jabs at me in every thread we both post in. It was an incidental finding, not something I sought out. Perhaps this will encourage him to either delete his post with that info or chill out on whatever unexplained issue he seems to have with me.

Sometimes you gotta fight fire with fire. :flame:

Finished 3rd year. I thought all rotations were OK except in some I did not get to do much of anything. Surgery had some malignant personalities(especially female residents) but overall don't remember much

To complain about. But I am depressed. Saw a lot pts with meaningless lives and the opposite and all of them dying. Have no gf and don't know where to live after med school and if I will have to move again. No longer have a 6pack. Not hard to get it back but don't know what for. Have no money. Can borrow money to go on a luxury vacation next winter but it will be so short and then again no money. If I do a residency in NYC I'll be living in a shoe box

To complain about. But I am depressed. Saw a lot pts with meaningless lives and the opposite and all of them dying. Have no gf and don't know where to live after med school and if I will have to move again. No longer have a 6pack. Not hard to get it back but don't know what for. Have no money. Can borrow money to go on a luxury vacation next winter but it will be so short and then again no money. If I do a residency in NYC I'll be living in a shoe box
hang on there buddy. We all suffer the same.
If we are not mentally top notch, the rotations will bring us down, /premedmod medicine is about doing good to people around you, helping them no matter how ill they are\

Finished 3rd year. I thought all rotations were OK except in some I did not get to do much of anything. Surgery had some malignant personalities(especially female residents) but overall don't remember much

:(

I thought third year was fine, but I prefer the autonomy during second year. Hang in there, man. Fourth year should be an amazing break. I'm probably going to destroy all my PRs at the gym, and I'll actually have hobbies again--if only for a little while. Not having a girlfriend right now is probably a good thing; you'll have less qualms about ranking good programs and making decisions about your future. A lot of my classmates who are dating each other are having trouble deciding whether or not they should couples match, and one of my friends has to go to a program here because his girlfriend doesn't want to move, even though he is extremely competitive for the top programs in the country. I'm not even going to apply to anything near NYC except maybe MGH and JH. Union nurses, high cost of living, malignant programs, ... yeah, no thanks.

I thought third year was fine, but I prefer the autonomy during second year. Hang in there, man. Fourth year should be an amazing break. I'm probably going to destroy all my PRs at the gym, and I'll actually have hobbies again--if only for a little while. Not having a girlfriend right now is probably a good thing; you'll have less qualms about ranking good programs and making decisions about your future. A lot of my classmates who are dating each other are having trouble deciding whether or not they should couples match, and one of my friends has to go to a program here because his girlfriend doesn't want to move, even though he is extremely competitive for the top programs in the country. I'm not even going to apply to anything near NYC except maybe MGH and JH. Union nurses, high cost of living, malignant programs, ... yeah, no thanks.
:thumbup:

Since this thread bumped up again, I'll just update and say that this week has been infinitely better. Understanding the flow, EMR, hospital layout etc. has helped me find useful tasks to do during the day. I'm only spending a little time in the OR and I've been keeping myself better caffeinated/sandwichized. So for posterity: suck it up, it gets better!

For a guy with a direct link to his Facebook in his posting history, you sure are quite inflammatory.

Nice attempt to redirect the discussion. I have no idea what this has to do with anything, but it's cute that you're perusing my posting history. As you've undoubtedly seen, I don't just make inflammatory comments to "everyone." You're special.

You know what I think of you. PM me if you want clarification (you don't want clarification). The fact stands that everyone that was telling you to brace yourself was correct, and you weren't.

Last edited:
Nice attempt to redirect the discussion. I have no idea what this has to do with anything, but it's cute that you're perusing my posting history. As you've undoubtedly seen, I don't just make inflammatory comments to "everyone." You're special.

You know what I think of you. PM me if you want clarification (you don't want clarification). The fact stands that everyone that was telling you to brace yourself was correct, and you weren't.

"They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

- tco

:whoa:

What's wrong with union nurses? I thought of applying to NYC just because there are more people? Maybe for residency I'll move back in with my parents so I can get free rent and home cooking? Not like any woman wants me. I myself wouldn't want a woman that doesn't have a bmi <20 and doesn't cook.

"They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

- tco
oscar_gamble_crop_340x234_display_image.jpg

What's wrong with union nurses? I thought of applying to NYC just because there are more people? Maybe for residency I'll move back in with my parents so I can get free rent and home cooking? Not like any woman wants me. I myself wouldn't want a woman that doesn't have a bmi <20 and doesn't cook.

Union nurses, particularly the ones in New York, have a reputation for doing exactly what is required of them according to their contract, and not one iota more...

Not with that attitude. Having rotated through Ob, I can appreciate that even traditionally "ugly" people can find a suitable mate and be happy, and in my experience, a woman with a BMI <20 tends to be more bony in areas that AHEM need cushioning... but to each his own. It's okay to have expectations, but avoid being hypocritical (e.g., you better have a healthy BMI and be able to cook too).

Not with that attitude. Having rotated through Ob, I can appreciate that even traditionally "ugly" people can find a suitable mate and be happy, and in my experience, a woman with a BMI <20 tends to be more bony in areas that AHEM need cushioning... but to each his own. It's okay to have expectations, but avoid being hypocritical (e.g., you better have a healthy BMI and be able to cook too).

Lol.

An often overlooked benefit of doing an OB rotation.

Lol. I truly have no idea what you're talking about nor do I really care. I will do both of us a favor: since you evidently want to be the Big Guy (as evidenced by some weird obsession with me that has now spanned several months and evidenced in this thread), I will give you the pleasure of doing so without having to deal with my replies and just ignore you. Good luck, buddy.

cb43423c_9Mjr1xU.gif

Since this thread bumped up again, I'll just update and say that this week has been infinitely better. Understanding the flow, EMR, hospital layout etc. has helped me find useful tasks to do during the day. I'm only spending a little time in the OR and I've been keeping myself better caffeinated/sandwichized. So for posterity: suck it up, it gets better!

Glad things have improved for you. I'm not sure if you made this shortly after starting the rotation, but the beginning of the rotations always sucks but, fortunately, gets easier as the year goes on. Good luck.

How about that psych rotation. not only do ugly people have kids. but you have these people barely 30yo already on social security, effectively retired. and they sometimes bring their kids from different baby daddies to the shrink. what are you talking?? why would i have to cook if my woman cooks?? I see all too often how guys settle for ugly useless women. When I want to feel good about myself I go to mcdonalds and observe how a nonfat guy is there with a fat woman who not only does not cook (or why else would they eat at mcdonalds?) but is also fat. You need that for "free" sex? You know taking step2 in 2weeks i realize how useless i am as a person. successful people my age go to wall street and shake hands with other successful people. I am studying for some stupid test that requires very little intelligence. And most likely I'll never own a bentley:(

Ark, is that you?

Reactions: 11 users
How about that psych rotation. not only do ugly people have kids. but you have these people barely 30yo already on social security, effectively retired. and they sometimes bring their kids from different baby daddies to the shrink. what are you talking?? why would i have to cook if my woman cooks?? I see all too often how guys settle for ugly useless women. When I want to feel good about myself I go to mcdonalds and observe how a nonfat guy is there with a fat woman who not only does not cook (or why else would they eat at mcdonalds?) but is also fat. You need that for "free" sex? You know taking step2 in 2weeks i realize how useless i am as a person. successful people my age go to wall street and shake hands with other successful people. I am studying for some stupid test that requires very little intelligence. And most likely I'll never own a bentley:(

You're either a troll. Or a vapid, insipid drain on conversation itself.

Get your goddamn **** together. And ask yourself this every time you're about to speak...am I even interested in what I'm saying?

Reactions: 6 users
Wow, you really think clinical Psychiatry is this way? Sorry you had that as your experience. Besides maybe the Surgery-type, most people after Psych had some level of compassion for those afflicted by mental illness: http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2014/06/...derstand-how-people-live-with-mental-illness/

Something tells me you're of the Asian persuasion.