How complete is your physical exam?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thirteen78

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did any of you see this abstract? Does everyone do the obligatory cardiac, abdominal, and lung exams, or are some of you just keeping the exam focused to the chief complaint? If so, are your exams always that focused or only for certain complaints? just wondering...

Annals of EM
Volume 46, Issue 3 (Supplement), Page 12 (September 2005)
The Clinical Impact of Cardiac, Abdominal, and Lung Exams for Emergency Department Patients with Minor Chief Complaints

Study Objectives: The value of the cardiac, abdominal, and lung physical exam (CALE) in emergency department (ED) patients with minor isolated chief complaints (MICCs), such as ankle sprain or finger laceration, has not been established. We sought to determine the prevalence of the performance of CALEs on ED patients with MICCs, and to determine the clinical impact of performing CALEs in this setting.

Methods: This prospective observational study was conducted at an urban ED (70,000 patients/year) with a 4-year Emergency Medicine (EM) residency. Inclusion MICCs such as laceration, ear ache, and foot pain were selected a priori to reflect conditions unlikely to necessitate a CALE in evaluation of the MICCs themselves. All patients presenting to the ED during 1 week blocks (one week per month from 4/03-9/03) were screened for inclusion MICCs and evaluated. Using a standardized chart extraction tool, blinded assistants reviewed charts for documentation of 1) CALEs; 2) Abnormal CALE findings; and 3) Additional work-up or testing related to abnormal CALE findings.

Results: 297 patients met study inclusion/exclusion criteria; 63% were male, 50% were African-American, and the mean age was 36.4 years. All patients were seen primarily by EM residents. Among chief complaints, 40% were musculoskeletal, 30% were dermatologic or wound-care related, 13% were ophthalmologic, and 11% were dental or ENT-related. Cardiac exams were performed on 71% with abnormalities noted in 5 (2.3%) of patients, including tachycardia (2), peripheral edema (2), and murmur (1). One EKG was performed due to tachycardia and the patient was discharged home. Lung exams were performed on 82% with abnormality noted in 1 (0.4%) of patients_slight wheezing; no bronchodilators given and no chest xray taken. Abdominal exams were performed on 46% with abnormalities noted in 2 (1.4%) of patients--a superficial abrasion and known ascites; neither prompted other investigation or therapy. Among the 591 total cardiac, lung and abdominal exams performed, 8 (1.4%; 95% CI 0.7 - 2.7) were abnormal and only 1 (0.1%; 95% CI 0 - 0.1) finding led to further testing; none led to intervention or change in therapy.

Conclusions: In ED patients with MICCs, abnormal CALE findings are unusual and rarely lead to further testing or change in management. The practice of routine CALEs for ED patients with MICCs is not supported and warrants further investigation in a randomized outcome based study.

Members don't see this ad.

To be fair when I did family practice the PD of the residency was also our 3rd year clerkship director. He was telling us this exact thing. Doing an exam where there is no complaint has long been known to be fruitless. I mean if a 22 y/o male comes in to see me in the ED and their complaint is a finger dislocation what benefit is there to me listening to his heart? lungs? or his abdomen? Frankly it is ridiculous, but if it makes me more $$$ and the insurers are cool with it, then what the hell, it only takes 2 mins.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that you have to look at a patient's expectations that you provide a medcial service to them including a physical exam. To a patient, the negelct of doing a PE, which is usually expected when visiting the doctor can greatly impact thier perception of you as a physician. In addition, feeling as though they passed the physical can be reassuring. Also, it provides you with constant practice which will make identifying slight abnormalities more likely. Therefore, although PE does not change the management of a patient it serves several useful purposes.

My physical is much more focused since my Emergency Medicine month, but I still put my stethoscope on the chest and push on the abdomen. Definitely more for my comfort than the patients. Good study, even the patient problems the physical uncovered were inconsequential or obvious.

Level 5. Always.

Just hoops for insurance.

i always have wondered about this...especially after seeing a few residents who always document the chest exam on pts with MICCs (sometimes when i KNOW they did not do one) glad to see that it doesn't make a dif but i still always try to do it...mainly due to the fact that it only takes a min and if a pt had waited 4 hours+ for their MICC to be treated i feel like i owe it to them to try to give them the most for their money ;)