All Branch Topic (ABT) How Competitive are the Reserves?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Batmansvoice

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know many of the active duty Dental Corps are overmanned and getting smaller, but is there still a chance to join the reserves? Are all branches the same or does one branch have more reserve spots than the others?

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently in the reserves (D4) and I am in the MDSSP program. Just apply and see what happens. Don't worry about if the reserves are competitive worry more about your health and application. Those two things are more likely to get you DQ over other people applying.

I am currently in the reserves (D4) and I am in the MDSSP program. Just apply and see what happens. Don't worry about if the reserves are competitive worry more about your health and application. Those two things are more likely to get you DQ over other people applying.
Which branch are you in the reserves for? What made you decide to go that route? Were there incentives to join? What are your obligations during and after dental school? How long have you been in and are you happy with your decision? Sorry for so many questions. Just curious what someone actually doing this has to say about it

Which branch are you in the reserves for? What made you decide to go that route? Were there incentives to join? What are your obligations during and after dental school? How long have you been in and are you happy with your decision? Sorry for so many questions. Just curious what someone actually doing this has to say about it

I am in the army reserves. I decided to take the MDSSP/STRAP route for a couple of reasons. For myself, I couldn't sign the dotted line when I was about to start d school and have the next 8 years of my life planned. Not for me but not having debt would be nice. I still wanted to join the army and heard about the reserves and thought it was perfect for what I wanted to do. I have been in now for abut 6 months and haven't done much expect one training session down in ATL. You have a lot of freedom as an officer/dentist. IF you have more specifics about you situation shoot me a PM and we can chat over the phone. Im not much of an e mail kind of guy.