How competitive are the BS/MD programs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mathlegend

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was looking into them, and I see many of them require a minimum of 1300+ SAT (math/cr) or min of 2200 SAT. So if those are the minimums, is the acceptance score usually higher? And would you say getting into one of these programs is equivalent as getting into an Ivy? (or what?)

Members don't see this ad.

They're ugly. BS/DO programs are less competitive as are Pharmacy.

Mathlegend, you know you could have asked your ol pal Darklord. :)

I was looking into them, and I see many of them require a minimum of 1300+ SAT (math/cr) or min of 2200 SAT. So if those are the minimums, is the acceptance score usually higher? And would you say getting into one of these programs is equivalent as getting into an Ivy? (or what?)

Very tough - I was accepted into 1 out of like 6, and my stats are no joke.
2200 SAT
34 ACT
Top 10% In SC school
600 hours volunteering
150 hours shadowing
Medical research publications
Great LORs

Clearly, they are very hard to get into

Members don't see this ad :)
Er...well, just because your stats are "no joke" (very humble, by the way), that doesn't mean you have to have at least what you did to get in. There's a chance you overshot the mark by a lot, and judging by the people I know who attend(ed?) BS/MD programs, that would definitely be the case. What you're saying is like someone in the Pre-Allo forum claiming, "I had a 3.9/38 with letters of recommendation from the President and Surgeon General and 2 first-author Nature publications. Clearly, med school is very hard to get into."

They're ugly. BS/DO programs are less competitive as are Pharmacy.

Mathlegend, you know you could have asked your ol pal Darklord. :)
lol. I'd rather be a MD or DPM...still deciding xD I talked to my podiatrist and he recommended MD over DPM...apparently podiatry is starting to decline

Er...well, just because your stats are "no joke" (very humble, by the way), that doesn't mean you have to have at least what you did to get in. There's a chance you overshot the mark by a lot, and judging by the people I know who attend(ed?) BS/MD programs, that would definitely be the case. What you're saying is like someone in the Pre-Allo forum claiming, "I had a 3.9/38 with letters of recommendation from the President and Surgeon General and 2 first-author Nature publications. Clearly, med school is very hard to get into."
Overshot?

Huh? Isn't more than necessary good? Wouldn't it give you a better chance?

Well, yes. What I'm saying is that you don't necessarily have to have those credentials to get in, unlike what was implied.

Not to start a war, but I don't believe this is true. In school, we are always trained to see things from someone who has experience: MilkmanAl, have you applied to/been accepted to any BS/MD programs personally?

Check out this website OP, you'll see who your up against. http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/multiple-degree-programs/
Youll see lists of programs, stats of people who applied, ect. And yes, compared to most college bound students, my stats are "No Joke".

I was accepted to UMKC's program and had stats notably higher than yours, actually. You don't see me telling people they needed my stats to get in, though, right? ;) That would be my point; the fact that it worked for you doesn't mean everyone else has to rise to the same level. Also, I'm not arguing that your credentials aren't good because they certainly are. I'm saying your presentation needs a little work.

by the way, that looks like a great site for those interested in combined programs.

edit: I guess I should point out that my experience with combined programs is minimal at best. I applied on a whim and happened to be what they wanted, I guess.

Last edited:
Crap. Gotta start working hard. I think I'm off to an okay start, but I guess I'll have to work harder. (By the way, I'm a sophomore right now)

How does this look so far?

9th grade: Normal classes, all As.
10th: AP Calc BC, AP Physics. Got a B in english 1st semester, B in calc first semester, probably B in english 2nd semester and B in physics 2nd semester.
11th: Planning to take AP stats, AP lang/comp, AP chem. Multivariable calculus/Linear Algebra/Differential equations at community college. Otherwise, classes normal.
12th: AP gov, AP econ, AP lit/comp, AP bio, APES. University level math (real analysis, complex analysis, partial differential equations) through EGPY. other wise, classes normal

Tests:
800 on MATH IIC
Taking physics this year
Taking chem next year
PSAT: 202 (yea its bad, I gotta work on my crit reading/writing)
Planning to take ACT sometime

Extracurriculars:
Violist since 7th grade, principal in youth orchestra next year
String quartet for 2 years
Recognized by Johns Hopkins talent search CTY for getting 720 in SAT math in 8th grade
Math team
Qualified for AIME as a sophomore
Wrestler
Volunteering in hospital(will have over 400 hours by the time I graduate from hs)
Shadowed physicians (just podiatrists so far, will shadow some MDs too)
Founder/president of Model Rocketry Club
Will have mission trips to Mexico/Taiwan
(hopefully research somewhere during the summer)

2200 SAT
34 ACT
Top 10% In SC school
600 hours volunteering
150 hours shadowing
Great LORs

i had a 2320, top 5% in my class, research at NIH...and i was 0 for 0. missed opportunity.

ok ok ok, lets just drop our pants and get out the ruler (or yardstick in my case)

i had a 2320, top 5% in my class, research at NIH...and i was 0 for 0. missed opportunity.

ok ok ok, lets just drop our pants and get out the ruler (or yardstick in my case)

Yardstick huh? :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Not a tape measure?

Weak.

/QUOTE]

Impressive. What research have you done in high school ? What role did you play in the research team ?

Not to start a war, but I don't believe this is true. In school, we are always trained to see things from someone who has experience: MilkmanAl, have you applied to/been accepted to any BS/MD programs personally?

Check out this website OP, you'll see who your up against. http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/multiple-degree-programs/
Youll see lists of programs, stats of people who applied, ect. And yes, compared to most college bound students, my stats are "No Joke".

Wow kid, chill with the ego. You are way too young to be thinking you're this cool. Maybe you got into 1/6 not cause your "no joke" stats are barely competitive enough, but because of your charming demeanor.

OP: do your best, don't stress yourself out, and apply. If you get into one and that's definitely what you want to do, great. If you don't get into one, embrace the fact that you'll have a nice normal college life and apply to med school later like many of your peers.

At my highschool we took more AP Classes, but our standardized scores were not so good.

Anyway, Mathlegend, you may seriously have a chance at some combined DO programs. I would advise you to begin researching.

I will check out some combined DO programs but I'm thinking that if I don't get accepted into a combined MD program, I will just go to a 4 year then apply to med school like everyone else, as butimletired said

/QUOTE]

Impressive. What research have you done in high school ? What role did you play in the research team ?

I started off as data lookup and typing, then after a few months, they allowed me to help with data collection from the patients. The research was on MM, so we had surveys for people suffering from the same type of disease conditions.

I started off as data lookup and typing, then after a few months, they allowed me to help with data collection from the patients. The research was on MM, so we had surveys for people suffering from the same type of disease conditions.

Sounds very nice !

How did you get the opportunity? Did you just go on their website and took a look ? :D

Sounds very nice !

How did you get the opportunity? Did you just go on their website and took a look ? :D

Actually, I was pretty involved at the hospital (look at shadowing and volunteer hrs) and I asked around, and when I found an opportunity I got the doctors who worked with me to vouch for my skill.

I was accepted to UMKC's program and had stats notably higher than yours, actually. You don't see me telling people they needed my stats to get in, though, right? ;) That would be my point; the fact that it worked for you doesn't mean everyone else has to rise to the same level. Also, I'm not arguing that your credentials aren't good because they certainly are. I'm saying your presentation needs a little work.

by the way, that looks like a great site for those interested in combined programs.

edit: I guess I should point out that my experience with combined programs is minimal at best. I applied on a whim and happened to be what they wanted, I guess.

:)

Ouch. Shut down.

I was accepted to UMKC's program and had stats notably higher than yours, actually.

Notably higher? lets hear them so we can judge for ourselves. I honestly doubt that you could have stats "notably higher" than az. I had a 2310 on my sat's and I was 99%, so 2200 must be like 98%. Lets here your stats so we can make our decisions.

Seeing your mdapps profile shows there was some drop off in these notably higher stats to a pretty low gpa...

Who cares? High school is all about retention of information anyways. I mean, there are courses that guaruntee a 2350+ for the SAT. Find me a course that promises you a 40+ on the MCAT and I'll show you a scam.

Who cares? High school is all about retention of information anyways. I mean, there are courses that guaruntee a 2350+ for the SAT.

Find me a course that guarantees a 2350+ and I'll show you a scam

Find me a course that guarantees a 2350+ and I'll show you a scam
I'd have to ask my ex about it (which I don't intend to sorry). From what I remember, it was like 5 hours a day twice a week for six months or something. Crazy intense.

I'd have to ask my ex about it (which I don't intend to sorry). From what I remember, it was like 5 hours a day twice a week for six months or something. Crazy intense.

:boom:

I actually don't think the test scores are the main point, actually. Essential, yes, but there are more things they look at.

I applied to HPME and PLME back 2 years ago, with good stats (I had perfect scores in math, verbal, and three other SAT 2s), 8 AP exam scores (all 5s), leadership and all that jazz...but didn't get into either. I mean, I'm now enrolled in a top 5 US News university so my stats weren't that uncompetitive.

The biggest reason was basically that these BS/MD programs are looking for students that already KNOW they want to be doctors, and so naturally they look for things like hospital volunteering, interaction with physicians...etc. Aside from the fact that my dad was a physician and I only spent like 20 hours volunteering at a hospital, I had nothing to show for my medical interest, lol. (it's not that I didn't want to work in a hospital - it's just there were so many activities that I did in HS that took up all of my time).

I know of 2 current HPME'ers and one at the BU BS/MD program. My stats were stronger than all three, but they all had a ton more of hospital work than I did in HS (one spent over 1000 hours volunteering at a hospice, for example). I think this is something that you should think about if thinking of pursuing a BS/MD.

I actually don't think the test scores are the main point, actually. Essential, yes, but there are more things they look at.

I applied to HPME and PLME back 2 years ago, with good stats (I had perfect scores in math, verbal, and three other SAT 2s), 8 AP exam scores (all 5s), leadership and all that jazz...but didn't get into either. I mean, I'm now enrolled in a top 5 US News university so my stats weren't that uncompetitive.

The biggest reason was basically that these BS/MD programs are looking for students that already KNOW they want to be doctors, and so naturally they look for things like hospital volunteering, interaction with physicians...etc. Aside from the fact that my dad was a physician and I only spent like 20 hours volunteering at a hospital, I had nothing to show for my medical interest, lol. (it's not that I didn't want to work in a hospital - it's just there were so many activities that I did in HS that took up all of my time).

I know of 2 current HPME'ers and one at the BU BS/MD program. My stats were stronger than all three, but they all had a ton more of hospital work than I did in HS (one spent over 1000 hours volunteering at a hospice, for example). I think this is something that you should think about if thinking of pursuing a BS/MD.

You are wise beyond your years, my friend. If it only came down to numbers in the regular MD admissions process, the composition of all schools would be drastically different. It isn't only a numbers a game in medicine because you have to show you want it through the activities you have as well. Try your best OP, and if you don't make it then keep this mantra in mind because it will help you find your path towards your goals. ECs are just as crucial in this process.

I graduated from a BS/MD program and am beginning to participate now in faculty interviews. The test scores, GPA, and extracirriculars are important to a point, but they can only take you so far. They get you that important interview. At our school, everyone starts the interview process with a blank slate. If you are number 400 of those we interview, you are the same as the number 1 person on interview day. Admissions are based on evaluations during the interview process. There are many exceptionally bright people who apply to these programs, however, the ability to remember facts and perform well on tests are not the only traits which make you successful in medicine.

In order to become an excellent doctor, you must have determination, commitment to serve others above self, responsibility, maturity, empathy, compassion, and dedication. It doesn't hurt to be a good listner and personable also. It is difficult to judge these characteristics in one interview, but that is what the process is set up to do.

You will find if you choose to pursue medicine, that everyone admitted to medical school is exceptional. Everyone in your class will have scores, GPA's, and extracirriculars the likes of above, but it takes a great deal of maturity and insight to get used to the psychology of being an "average medical student" when you have been exceptional in everything you have done in your life up to this point.

I graduated from a BS/MD program and am beginning to participate now in faculty interviews. The test scores, GPA, and extracirriculars are important to a point, but they can only take you so far. They get you that important interview. At our school, everyone starts the interview process with a blank slate. If you are number 400 of those we interview, you are the same as the number 1 person on interview day. Admissions are based on evaluations during the interview process. There are many exceptionally bright people who apply to these programs, however, the ability to remember facts and perform well on tests are not the only traits which make you successful in medicine.

In order to become an excellent doctor, you must have determination, commitment to serve others above self, responsibility, maturity, empathy, compassion, and dedication. It doesn't hurt to be a good listner and personable also. It is difficult to judge these characteristics in one interview, but that is what the process is set up to do.

You will find if you choose to pursue medicine, that everyone admitted to medical school is exceptional. Everyone in your class will have scores, GPA's, and extracirriculars the likes of above, but it takes a great deal of maturity and insight to get used to the psychology of being an "average medical student" when you have been exceptional in everything you have done in your life up to this point.
Dang, thats more complex than I thought. Interviews are much more important than I thought...what exactly goes on in the interviews?

Yeah, Milkman is right. Yeah, I've been accepted into BS/MD program.

2200 SAT
34 ACT
Top 10% In SC school
600 hours volunteering
150 hours shadowing
Great LORs

Your stats are good but certainly nothing to give an adcom a wet dream about.

Notably higher? lets hear them so we can judge for ourselves. I honestly doubt that you could have stats "notably higher" than az. I had a 2310 on my sat's and I was 99%, so 2200 must be like 98%. Lets here your stats so we can make our decisions.

Seeing your mdapps profile shows there was some drop off in these notably higher stats to a pretty low gpa...

What ego you all seem to have. Not sure if you're aware, but AZ's stats aren't too hard to beat. Exemplary no doubt, but still not one of the best. Just remember who your competition is at this point, you're not comparing yourself to average high schoolers.

It depends on the program. UMKC is a joke compared to PSU-JMC or Northwestern or Brown. UMKC still wants a 30+ ACT for consideration. PSU-JMC needs a 2200 to look at you. The truth is it's a numbers game I applied to 6 programs and was accepted to NSU/NSUCOM for the 8 year. Stats were 1340/1600 (they only count for most programs CR+M) 80 unweighted, 103.5 weighted (on the FL scale) several hundred hours shadowing in vitreo-retinal and corneal-refractive and scrubbing in on vitrectomies and cataracts, 6 APs, High Powered Prep School and ECs plus an essay that one admissions officer wrote "I just finished reading your essay about the patient you will never forget - I had goosebumps through the whole thing. I really admire your compassion and your desire to care for those who might not have anyone - or anything - else. I wish you the best of luck in the future!". It's a numbers game most programs depending on competitiveness accept 5-15% of applicants (less when you figure out who actually gets admitted to the schools). Best of luck and my advice is to apply wide and also apply to Osteopathic Medical Schools, unless you are hell bent on getting an MD.

Dang you gotta scrub in on some surgeries? What did you get to do?

2200 SAT
34 ACT
Top 10% In SC school
600 hours volunteering
150 hours shadowing
Great LORs

:soexcited:

No joke but not out of this world either.

The process is set up at our school with 2 days of interviewing. One day, you meet and are interviewed by undergraduate faculty at the undergraduate University. You also interview with clinical faculty (attending physicians) at the Medical school campus. I can't give away exactly what goes on, however, applicants are asked regarding extracirriculars, volunteer work, and shadowing experience to determine the actual amount of invovlement. (You would not believe the number of people who falsify or embelish information on applications.) Don't put it on your application if you only have minor or peripheral involvement in an activity, because experienced interviewers will be able to tell that you are padding your application. Applicants are evaluated based on their answers to predetermined set ethical questions and hypothetical situations. Questions are also designed to test your commitment to medicine and dedication to the field. Be very prepared to explain what interests you and excites you about medicine, no matter what schools you are applying too. Most people who are physicians love the field and their specialty and want to connect with applicants on that level who are able to communicate what makes them special in that regard. Please go beyond, "I like science and math and want to make money" or "I want to make my parents happy". Most people have a deeply personal and unique reason that they want to pursue medicine. Don't be shy to share that with someone who is as passionate about the field as you are. Whatever your reason is, it will be unique to you and will make you memorable if you are honest.

Unique to BS/MD programs because they are interviewing high school students, they want to be able to see that you are committed to medicine as a field and that you are making the right choice for your life at this stage. Conveying a sense of maturity and confidence about that decision is key. They want to admit students who have the drive and determination to complete a very rigorous academic program. It takes a lot of commitment and discipline to take double the amount of credits as your non-BS/MD peers and study more than socialize in undergraduate school. It is not a normal undergraduate experience. But, I felt it prepared me more for the "real life" of medical school to start right from high school in a program where so much was expected of me even as an undergraduate student.

At the end of the interview process when I applied, they videotaped each applicant to help interviewers remember people. You had to give your name and where you were from with your interview number. Then it was an open-ended couple of minutes to say whatever you wanted to help people remember you. I don't know if they still do that part or not.

The process is set up at our school with 2 days of interviewing. One day, you meet and are interviewed by undergraduate faculty at the undergraduate University. You also interview with clinical faculty (attending physicians) at the Medical school campus. I can't give away exactly what goes on, however, applicants are asked regarding extracirriculars, volunteer work, and shadowing experience to determine the actual amount of invovlement. (You would not believe the number of people who falsify or embelish information on applications.) Don't put it on your application if you only have minor or peripheral involvement in an activity, because experienced interviewers will be able to tell that you are padding your application. Applicants are evaluated based on their answers to predetermined set ethical questions and hypothetical situations. Questions are also designed to test your commitment to medicine and dedication to the field. Be very prepared to explain what interests you and excites you about medicine, no matter what schools you are applying too. Most people who are physicians love the field and their specialty and want to connect with applicants on that level who are able to communicate what makes them special in that regard. Please go beyond, "I like science and math and want to make money" or "I want to make my parents happy". Most people have a deeply personal and unique reason that they want to pursue medicine. Don't be shy to share that with someone who is as passionate about the field as you are. Whatever your reason is, it will be unique to you and will make you memorable if you are honest.

Unique to BS/MD programs because they are interviewing high school students, they want to be able to see that you are committed to medicine as a field and that you are making the right choice for your life at this stage. Conveying a sense of maturity and confidence about that decision is key. They want to admit students who have the drive and determination to complete a very rigorous academic program. It takes a lot of commitment and discipline to take double the amount of credits as your non-BS/MD peers and study more than socialize in undergraduate school. It is not a normal undergraduate experience. But, I felt it prepared me more for the "real life" of medical school to start right from high school in a program where so much was expected of me even as an undergraduate student.

At the end of the interview process when I applied, they videotaped each applicant to help interviewers remember people. You had to give your name and where you were from with your interview number. Then it was an open-ended couple of minutes to say whatever you wanted to help people remember you. I don't know if they still do that part or not.
That was quite insightful. Thanks!

I was enjoying the e-peen size comparison contest. Can we get some more of that?

Considering everyone who said my stats aren't great haven't provided there own scores, it suffices to say that I win. I have stats similar (excluding mcats) to regular applicants. And based on some mdapps (cough milkman cough) who show gpa's around 2.8, I find it funny that they still claim there scores are higher w/o proof.

Considering everyone who said my stats aren't great haven't provided there own scores, it suffices to say that I win. I have stats similar (excluding mcats) to regular applicants. And based on some mdapps (cough milkman cough) who show gpa's around 2.8, I find it funny that they still claim there scores are higher w/o proof.

Well it's a good thing your high school education taught you so much about English grammar and spelling that you actually feel comfortable being this arrogant. Learn how to spell before engaging in e-peen contests, sweety.

Oh, and for that matter, I'm glad you have achieved such a firm grasp on the difference between high school and college. To say that your stats are similar to regular med school applicants is laughable and pretty pathetic because you're comparing apples and oranges. It's as if I were to go to a Law student now and say "oh wow, you're getting a C in constitutional law? I got an A in AP government, you must be a *****!". Learn the difference between high school and college, learn some English, oh and maybe some humility for good measure, and then maybe people will actually start listening to what you're saying.

I got a 1550 while drunk and without studying. Your move, hotshot. ;)

edit: By the way, i second everything LET said. It's time to wake up and realize you're not all that special. Sure, you have good credentials, but that's no reason to be exceedingly arrogant. High school was a breeze for me. College is a totally different ballgame, especially if you happen to have numerous classes where a B- is top 10% as I did. Stop thinking you're so awesome because there are PLENTY of people out there who outclass you entirely and aren't arrogant about it at all.

The best part about this whole argument is that it stemmed from you somehow twisting my claim that you're probably more qualified than a lot of BS/MD acceptees into an insult and defending yourself from a nonexistent challenge. Insecurity like that takes unusual talent and effort. At least you have the ego to outwardly compensate for it, though. That's a good start.

Last edited:
Well it's a good thing your high school education taught you so much about English grammar and spelling that you actually feel comfortable being this arrogant. Learn how to spell before engaging in e-peen contests, sweety.

Oh, and for that matter, I'm glad you have achieved such a firm grasp on the difference between high school and college. To say that your stats are similar to regular med school applicants is laughable and pretty pathetic because you're comparing apples and oranges. It's as if I were to go to a Law student now and say "oh wow, you're getting a C in constitutional law? I got an A in AP government, you must be a *****!". Learn the difference between high school and college, learn some English, oh and maybe some humility for good measure, and then maybe people will actually start listening to what you're saying.

Hmm, maybe your not that smart. Not including the Mcats & a college GPA, I have everything a traditional applicant could have: I've volunteered for 600 hrs, shadowed for 250 hrs, watched surgeries in the OR alongside residents, Have 2 published and 2 more research authorships on the way, been the president of many clubs, was homecoming king, and was top 10% compared to my peers.

I have a 1570 = 800 math, 770 cr, 630 wr. ACTs = 34

Hmm, maybe your not that smart. Not including the Mcats & a college GPA, I have everything a traditional applicant could have: I've volunteered for 600 hrs, shadowed for 250 hrs, watched surgeries in the OR alongside residents, Have 2 published and 2 more research authorships on the way, been the president of many clubs, was homecoming king, and was top 10% compared to my peers.

God above kid, watch the spelling. Reading your posts gives me a headache, and English is my third language.

How do you not see that the MCAT (it's singular, by the way, which you'd know if you'd, oh, taken it) and the college gpa are 90% of the battle? How do you not realize how you look when you list things like top 10% of your class, homecoming king, and reiterate your SAT score ad nauseam? Dude, I don't even remember my SAT score. Most people DON'T. Med schools don't ask you about your SAT score or high school rank, cause guess what? IT DOESN'T MATTER. Incidentally, before starting college I had also volunteered, worked in a lab, and shadowed a surgeon. Not that impressive. That's a matter of meeting the right people. You know what isn't? Getting a high gpa in a tough major and taking the MCAT. Which, again, you wouldn't know, since you've never done anything of the sort. So yeah. Not impressed.

PS- I'd LOVE to see someone put "homecoming king" on his med school application. Lord. That would be a riot.

Last edited:

If I'm not mistaken she got into Vanderbilt's Medical School. She's also a mod, so I would watch who you insult.

If I'm not mistaken she got into Vanderbilt's Medical School. She's also a mod, so I would watch who you insult.

I doubt she'd do anything. He's already making an ass out of himself more and more each time he posts. It doesn't bother anyone here, but it is amusing watching him try to tout himself as the superior intellectual while he can't even use 1st grade grammar.

Status
Not open for further replies.