How competitive are OBGYN fellowships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Teufelhunden

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know where I can find some data on the competitiveness of the different fellowships? The number of programs seems relatively small; however, I don't have a sense as to how many people are applying to the programs.

I'm particularly interested in anyone who has info on REI and MFM programs.

Members don't see this ad.

Shoot... I read about this somewhere the other day!!! I wish I remember where it was :( But from what I remember, MFM was least competative, and gyn onc was the most... and REI in the middle. But, I THINK, there were enough slots to go around for those that wanted in MFM and REI, while gyn onc turned away some applicants.

My plan has always been MFM :)

I'll see if I can try to find where I find that info to back me up and help if I can. Good luck!

-Liz

Don't forget about UroGyn. Its getting up there in terms of competetiveness especially at places like Duke/Indiana. For Gyn Onc, you want to do residency at a "big name" institution with known Gyn Onc docs as LOR and contacts go a long way. MFM is somewhat easier and on the rise do to malpractice concerns in the ob field and large number of referrals, and REI (as stated previously) somewhere in between.

Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Why is MFM the least competitive? Malpractice?

does anyone have information on the expected salary of ob.gyn's with fellowship training? particularly for gyn.onc and MFM...

thanks

anyone know if those numbers (300+) for mfm are pre or post malpractice insurance?

Most salery quotes are post-malpractice and other practice expenses, pre taxes

Some REI's who work crazy hours (70+/week) make over a million.

A lot of the REI's who only make 300-400K have pretty easy life styles. Remember, never any night call. No emergency IVF's. Plus it's very rewarding and fun and the technology is ever-changing. The surgery is almost all laparoscopic and outpatient. So it's fun, but not a lot of post op care / complications. Patients are young and healthy and motivated. In most states, there is almost no managed care to deal with.

Just a plug for what I think is a great field from non-monetary aspects.

Thanks william for the rei info
Any MFM or gyn-onc folks out there who can do the same?

I wish there was some information about Urogynecology...anyone have any idea what they make?