how can I prevent adjacent tooth from nicking?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krishna99

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
how can I prevent adjacent tooth from nicking while making proximal box for class II?

plz suggest

Members don't see this ad.

Hii
u need to use a metal bands before doing any cut , it will help u a lot ..
best of luck while preparing..

how can I prevent adjacent tooth from nicking while making proximal box for class II?

plz suggest

Careful, some schools do not allow you to use metal band , I heard.
If they allow you that is a good way...

If not, try reducing the teeth very close to the proximal area but Leaving a very thin wall. finish removing this wall with a hatchet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Use a thin flame high speed bur, reduce the occlusal in crowns before you work on the proximal, cut within the tooth keeping a buffer layer of 0.5mm and then work on that layer with hand instruments.

thanx to you all providing valuable information

Do we need to make retentive grooves on facial axial and lingual axial line angles in proximal box for class II ?

Do we need to make retentive grooves on facial axial and lingual axial line angles in proximal box for class II ?

Even I wanna know abt retentive grooves in class 2..Please anybody who knows share ur views abt diff preps...It will help all of us.

hi, i want to know how to finish the prep.....at the end of all the cutting, the tooth looks a bit rough, but it is supposed to look smooth.
how do i polish it or are there any finishing burs to do this?

I heard it is better to do them if you have the hand skill and time to do so.

hi, i want to know how to finish the prep.....at the end of all the cutting, the tooth looks a bit rough, but it is supposed to look smooth.
how do i polish it or are there any finishing burs to do this?

You can use finer dimond bur and then carbide burs for the smooth finish.

You can use a matrix band but sometimes you can't even fit one in, for example upper teeth are really tight...
Also, if they don't allow it then do as Samyred said, work as much as you can leaving a ledge of enamel and then use hand tools.

thanks for the help.
I tried it. and it works... didnt have finer diamond to finish, but used carbide and the prep looked cleaner than the rough one seen after using just the diamonds. i also noticed that using a bit of slower speed helps the finish as well.

how can we assure that the occlusal reduction we did is enough for PFM and full cast crown?

If you're allowed to use a wedge, use that along with the technique you just described. The separation of the teeth will reduce your chances of nicking even further. Bands are great, but they perforate easily.

how can we assure that the occlusal reduction we did is enough for PFM and full cast crown?

Make sure the larger end of your ball burnisher passes easily between the prepared tooth and the opposing one when the dentoform is in occlusion. Your ideal reduction has to be approx 2 mm.. don't stress with getting that measurement perfectly- just eye ball it.

When we make an onlay covering all the cusps in tooth #30 or 31 after doing occlusal reduction we make offset on buccal side but do we make a chamfer on lingual side (occlusally not all the way to gingiva)???