How can I ever be sure what career I want to do?

metalhead1023

High School Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I've been confused lately, I've been thinking things like 'why do I want to become a doctor' and 'why don't I just take the easy route and become an engineer or get a business degree' but then I think about what doctors really do and I think I would really enjoy that. But what I'm asking is how can I be sure what I want to do, ever? If I shadow a doctor sure I could be like 'wow that sucks eff that' or be like 'this is awesome I can't wait till I can do this'. But what if I could be happier doing something else I can't shadow an astronautical engineer. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

i totally understand what youre talking about. I have been really confused lately also. I decided to speak with a professional advisor. They seem to know what they are talking about. They have been helpful for me, they might help answer your questions too...

Here are the people I was telling you about, they actually do a decent job and were very professional

www.aspireadmissionsconsultants.com

Let me know what you thought...

Last edited:
I think college is the time to think about what you really want to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think college is the time to think about what you really want to do.
But what if I don't even want to go to college. Maybe I want to be a freelance writer. Or become an indie film director.

Well I've been confused lately, I've been thinking things like 'why do I want to become a doctor' and 'why don't I just take the easy route and become an engineer or get a business degree' but then I think about what doctors really do and I think I would really enjoy that. But what I'm asking is how can I be sure what I want to do, ever? If I shadow a doctor sure I could be like 'wow that sucks eff that' or be like 'this is awesome I can't wait till I can do this'. But what if I could be happier doing something else I can't shadow an astronautical engineer. :confused:

I almost had a ****ing aneurysm when I saw this. You think being an engineer is easy? Engineering majors trump all others, including PREMED for difficulty of college.

You think engineering is the easy route? Just wait until you're taking 20 credits a semester of thermodynamics, material/energy balance, fluid mechanics, statistical reaction analysis, more statistics, and labs just to try to graduate in four years. You'll be sitting in your room most nights on the verge of CHF while the business majors are out getting smashed constantly.

Oh and nothing keeps you from shadowing engineers. Theres no reason why you can't look up an engineering firm or a company, call them up, and tell them you're considering engineering and asking to see what they do.

Just giving you a heads up here: engineering is extremely difficult, not to mention that much harder to get that GPA that med schools want.

And who knows what is going to make you happy in a few years? I went into school as a chemical engineering major, picked up a double applied math & statistics major along the way, and now I'm working towards med school. I'm still going to finish both those majors, but with any luck I'll end up in medical school in either next year or the one after. Point is, your choosen major does not define the rest of your life. Majors can be changed. Careers can be changed.

Rereading this I realize I came off sounding like a dick. I am a dick, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't my intention. If you have any questions about being an engineering major feel free to PM me.

Last edited:

What?

But what if I don't even want to go to college. Maybe I want to be a freelance writer. Or become an indie film director.

A lot of people who do those things go to college to learn about them.

I almost had a ****ing aneurysm when I saw this. You think being an engineer is easy? Engineering majors trump all others, including PREMED for difficulty of college.

You think engineering is the easy route? Just wait until you're taking 20 credits a semester of thermodynamics, material/energy balance, fluid mechanics, statistical reaction analysis, more statistics, and labs just to try to graduate in four years. You'll be sitting in your room most nights on the verge of CHF while the business majors are out getting smashed constantly.

Oh and nothing keeps you from shadowing engineers. Theres no reason why you can't look up an engineering firm or a company, call them up, and tell them you're considering engineering and asking to see what they do.

Just giving you a heads up here: engineering is extremely difficult, not to mention that much harder to get that GPA that med schools want.

And who knows what is going to make you happy in a few years? I went into school as a chemical engineering major, picked up a double applied math & statistics major along the way, and now I'm working towards med school. I'm still going to finish both those majors, but with any luck I'll end up in medical school in either next year or the one after. Point is, your choosen major does not define the rest of your life. Majors can be changed. Careers can be changed.

Rereading this I realize I came off sounding like a dick. I am a dick, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't my intention. If you have any questions about being an engineering major feel free to PM me.

Straight up, engineering is impossibly difficult.

OP, you're still pretty young. I know that seems stupid, as when I was in high school I would have thought that sentiment coming from a 22-year-old stupid, but you'll do a lot of changing your mind. I can't really describe what made me "know" I wanted to be a doctor, but somewhere along the way I decided it was what I wanted to do. Go to college, get into something you think you may like, and use your free time to explore. You'll find it, whether its directing, engineering, biochemistry, or being a drunk (though it is nice to avoid the last one).

If you go to college, there are endless opportunities to try and find out what you really want to do for the rest of your life. No one expects you to come to college knowing exactly what you want to do when you leave college. There are literally thousands of different classes covering hundreds of topics when you go to college... and beyond the classroom there are often hundreds of clubs, student organizations, atheltics, etc to help you find out what your interests are outside the classroom. Don't freak out too much. You're nowhere near the point where you need to make a definitive decision about what you want to do for the rest of your life.

Take lots of classes in lots of different subjects if you aren't sure where your interests lie. Ask upperclassmen in your classes about their majors and what they want to do. Most of them (if they even know what they want to do) will be more than willing to talk to you about it. I know I love talking to underclassmen about being pre-med cause I remember being a freshman with no idea what I was doing.

I think everyone has a different reason for becoming a doctor and everybody's path to medicine is unique. If you think being a doctor is just one of many career choices you might have in mind, then just talk to people. Talk to/ shadow some doctors and see if you really want to do all the schoolwork and crazy lifestyle of a pre-med/med student/resident.

How about shadow a physician, engeeneer, and the careers you are interesed ?

Did you shadow all of them ?

and Try here.. they have all the job information

http://www.bls.gov/OCO/

I know exactly how you feel because I've been there and I think most other people have too. This may be little consolation but right now time is on your side and the ball is in your court. You can explore all the fields you want to, and you can take your time about it.

All kinds of well-meaning people will give you advice, but if they haven't actually worked in a field or taught it, just tell them thanks and move on. Seek advice from the ones who actually know. That's how you find out what it's really like, aside from actually doing it yourself. And if your heart is telling you to go in one direction don't let anybody talk you out of it. You are the only one who is going to have to get up and go to your job. Not anybody else.

Just keep a well rounded education and extra "stuff"... you don't have to decide what you want to do in high school and in reality not many people do what they wanted to do in high school... none that Ive met! You'll know if medicine is right for you... just give it time and try everything right now. More importantly... have fun in the process and don't be so worried like me!

Consider also what subjects you like. If you hate biology, medicine might not be the right path. If you hate physics, you're probably not going to want to become an astrophysicist. Having said that, I HATED biology in 10th grade because I had a terrible teacher... so make sure to differentiate there.

The other thing is why not call up your GP, and if you can shadow him/her. If he/she is anything like mine, they'd be more than delighted. If all goes well, you'll probably be able to get the e-mail address of a surgeon or something from them to shadow next... just take that first step. Same goes for anything else. Just ask nicely. The worst that happens is they say no.:laugh:

Another thing is that you don't have to have a bachelor of biomedical science or something to get into medical school. You can have pretty much any bachelor's degree, so pick something that interests you NOW. You can always change your major later. Just keep your marks up.

Good luck

...your a young buck...why are you worried about the bull that comes when you are an older dude? why arent you out trying to tag as much tail as possible and drinking it up behind the football stadium (gotta love those catholic high schools). I seriously do not think everyone knows exactly what they want to do at all times of their lives. things will come and go in waves. My degree is in physics, but I really enjoyed philosophy and art history, so I took as many of those classes as I could. I wanted to fly, so I joined the Navy and touched the sky. I wanted to find employment that let me work with tools and my hands that could make a difference in others lives so I am going to pod school to work on feet and ankles. I am 30 and I still do not "know" what I want to do or be when I grow up...enjoy your life more and quit worrying...

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
I immediately started laughing at the engineering comment. Just wait 'til those mid-level physics and math courses hit home. Hoo boy!

To answer the original question, I think you just kind of figure out what you like naturally. If you take a bunch of classes in different subjects your first year or two - which you'll probably be required to do at some point, anyway - you'll easily be able to separate the ones you enjoyed from those that were a waste of your time. Much like spooge, I took a ton of classes in a subject I was interested in and wound up with an astrophysics major. It killed the **** out of my GPA, but I sure enjoyed college a lot more because of it. Hopefully your interests won't jeopardize your chances of getting into med school quite like mine did, but you should definitely take classes you like whether you're interested in engineering, art, music, or politics. College will suck big time if you just force yourself through the pre-med reqs and get some crap major you don't care about to boost your GPA. That's a serious waste of some of the best years of your life.

It was not too long ago when I became extremely interested in medicine. I was just an average C+ student up until grade 10 of high school (sophomore).

Science was my favourite subject, I payed attention in class but that was the only time when I actually put in effort. I loved the human body and how everything worked. I never thought about being a doctor until I had CAPP (career and personal planning)class. In fact, I had never thought about my future life at all! My life was just about partying and hanging out with friends.

Well, when I finally realized how competitive medicine was and how my quality of life depended on my education, I stepped my game up.
I can not explain to you the feeling that I had that day. On that day, I snapped out of my little childish world and was ready to face reality.

It was the competitiveness of medicine that made me straighten up, became self-disciplined, and gave me the energy to now thrive for good grades.
Although it had only been a year or two, I feel that I am well prepared for what is ahead.

I am really glad that I realized early enough how important education is, and that education is really what makes me happy!

Also, apart from obvious reasons(I want to help people, blah blah), I believe medicine will the right choice for me because I really do enjoy learning something new every day! (I hope I won't change my mind when I get into ochem lol)

I have no idea why I just told you about the story of my life, but I hope you can learn something from it. (lol)

A very analytical way to go about it is to sit down and list all the things that draw you to the idea of medicine. Then look at each of those attributes and look into other professions that offer similar things and start ruling them out as you explore (of course being open minded that medicine might just be the thing that is ruled out). Starting so early you have lots of time to explore before committing to any one pathway. College is a great place to do this . . . even just for social development college is a great experience.

A very analytical way to go about it is to sit down and list all the things that draw you to the idea of medicine. Then look at each of those attributes and look into other professions that offer similar things and start ruling them out as you explore (of course being open minded that medicine might just be the thing that is ruled out). Starting so early you have lots of time to explore before committing to any one pathway. College is a great place to do this . . . even just for social development college is a great experience.

Writing things out is a good idea. When I was making decisions between schools. I had a pretty good idea of where I wanted to go, but I still wrote out the pros and cons for each and weighed them in a spreadsheet. Doing this was able to help me realize that I had already made my decision and I was just looking for justification.

I think everyone is a bit unsure of what they want to do for their careers. There's no amount of shadowing, internships, or anecdotes that can paint a complete picture of any one profession. Find something you think you enjoy, see if you can make a job at it, and go for it. If that something is medicine, then best of luck.

Of course, I'm not saying to not get involved with internships and shadowing positions, but these activities won't give you the full picture of a career. These things can certainly be helpful.

The thing about a career is that you are not shackled to it for the rest of your life. Sure, it would be a waste for someone to do 4 years of med/dent school and then decided not to be a doctor, but the fact is that you are free to change your career whenever you want (unless you're from some country that doesn't allow it). I was in computers for years before I decided to go back to school, get a Bio degree and go to dental school. When I first went to college, i was a Marketing major. I just wanted to get a degree. I left after 2 years and worked for 7 before going back.

My point is that you can change your mind and people aren't going to string you up by your thumbs.

I'm totally in agreement with LemonCurry- there are very few decisions that you can't change out of later if it turns out it's not what you're looking for. Recently I've seen a spate of young people who seem to be somewhat paralyzed from being unsure what decision to make, therefore their decision is to not choose. Then they feel upset that they can't choose and that drops their confidence and perpetuates the entire cycle all over again.

I was pre-med when I first went to college, and on some level I feel like I got gipped. I felt like I was locked into taking certain classes and saw other people taking stuff that looked like fun but I couldn't fit it into my schedule. In retrospect, I kind of like the idea of people not knowing what they want to do when they go to college: it gives them the freedom to explore and try different things.

And like LC, I also worked a bit before deciding to go back and pursue my MD (DMD in his case..). I'm starting med school 10 years after getting my masters in a different field, and have gotten much support from the physicians I know. So yeah- it's OK to change your mind.

Do not do engineering.

Unless you've accidentally derived advanced math theorems while you were doodling or at least won state math and physics competitions, do not do engineering.

Math and physics fields are made up of tiny handful of people with unimaginable natural talent orders of magnitude above the rest, and thousands of bright, hardworking people who will never get anywhere no matter how hard they try. Fermi said there are two types, of physicists: the very best, and those who shouldn't be there at all.

Any other major gives you a chance to significantly improve your abilities. I was always an extremely driven self-studyer as a kid. I learned all the physics and most of the advanced calculus I would ever know by the time I was 15. 6 years later when I finished engineering school I was almost exactly where I was in 9th grade in terms of mathematical ability.

Chances are, no matter how smart you are, you will not be an amazing physicist or engineer, especially aerospace engineer. People who rise to the top in engineering are a random bunch. They are increasingly involved in much denser math than their predecessors, and are cursed by the same problems as beautiful celebrities: Their assets are genetic and not the result of work ethic, so they become self-destructive slackers. They are also are less able to apply their work now than in the 1960s, which makes them bitter and depressed. Von Braun and Korolev were the last applied physics/engineering people to actually build something groundbreaking(if you like aerospace you know who they are). Since then, Aero-engineering has kind of lost its white-hot status.

Considering the future of engineering, the coolest things that may be built in our lifetimes are more powerful ion engines (if NASA had a reason to really try) or hydrogen gas particle nuclear fission engines (if everybody stopped being afraid of the word 'nuclear'). Even if all these happened amd antimatter engines were to be built, who would build them? Chances are, not you, but a few guys in a small elite team like C.K. Johnson's Skunkworks. Unless you're one of the best mathematicians anywhere right now, chances are you won't be on a team like that. Reality sucks.

Writing things out is a good idea. When I was making decisions between schools. I had a pretty good idea of where I wanted to go, but I still wrote out the pros and cons for each and weighed them in a spreadsheet. Doing this was able to help me realize that I had already made my decision and I was just looking for justification.

At least I'm not the only one who uses excel to help them make life changing decisions lol ;) One of the great things about medschool is that I'm no longer ashamed of my OCD tables and charts lol.

Do not do engineering.

Unless you've accidentally derived advanced math theorems while you were doodling or at least won state math and physics competitions, do not do engineering.

Math and physics fields are made up of tiny handful of people with unimaginable natural talent orders of magnitude above the rest, and thousands of bright, hardworking people who will never get anywhere no matter how hard they try. Fermi said there are two types, of physicists: the very best, and those who shouldn't be there at all.

Any other major gives you a chance to significantly improve your abilities. I was always an extremely driven self-studyer as a kid. I learned all the physics and most of the advanced calculus I would ever know by the time I was 15. 6 years later when I finished engineering school I was almost exactly where I was in 9th grade in terms of mathematical ability.

Chances are, no matter how smart you are, you will not be an amazing physicist or engineer, especially aerospace engineer. People who rise to the top in engineering are a random bunch. They are increasingly involved in much denser math than their predecessors, and are cursed by the same problems as beautiful celebrities: Their assets are genetic and not the result of work ethic, so they become self-destructive slackers. They are also are less able to apply their work now than in the 1960s, which makes them bitter and depressed. Von Braun and Korolev were the last applied physics/engineering people to actually build something groundbreaking(if you like aerospace you know who they are). Since then, Aero-engineering has kind of lost its white-hot status.

Considering the future of engineering, the coolest things that may be built in our lifetimes are more powerful ion engines (if NASA had a reason to really try) or hydrogen gas particle nuclear fission engines (if everybody stopped being afraid of the word 'nuclear'). Even if all these happened amd antimatter engines were to be built, who would build them? Chances are, not you, but a few guys in a small elite team like C.K. Johnson's Skunkworks. Unless you're one of the best mathematicians anywhere right now, chances are you won't be on a team like that. Reality sucks.

Very true. Nuclear energy is an excellent way to go. Problems with current nuclear generation might stem from the fact that they haven't built a new plant in DECADES. Massive liquid propane storage tanks provide a greater threat to you than a nuclear plant ever will.

As for the rest of what you said, maybe that might apply to aerospace engineering. For other engineering fields however, they are certainly in high demand. I work at an engineering firm with civil engineers and mechanical engineers (I think I'm the only ChemE there). While engineering is definitely an insanely difficult major, it certainly does not require you to be a child prodigy. Sure those prodigys will end up designing the future ion cannons and cold fusion systems of tomorrow, but there are certainly a lot of intelligent engineers out there working on systems most people probably will never hear of.

I'm not allowed to go into too great of detail, but lets say that I work on modeling systems that have been developed that serve to recycle the catalysts used in oil refining. Wanna see oil prices really skyrocket? Try buying new batches of catalyst every time a certain amount of oil is refined. The systems that I've been working on are going to be used in one of the biggest refineries in europe.

Now don't get me wrong, my job is boring as all holy hell and is part of the reason why I'd rather go into medicine. My point is that there is a lot that engineers do for the world that people don't realize. Its certainly true that you're going to encounter a lot of genetically smart people out there, and I've certainly run into people who study about a quarter of the time I do and get higher grades.

Chances are, no matter how smart you are, you will not be an amazing physicist or engineer, especially aerospace engineer. People who rise to the top in engineering are a random bunch.

If by "amazing" you're talking about being the next Stephen Hawking and having your name recgonized by millions of people then yeah maybe this is true. Being an amazing engineer at the top of the bunch is not limited to the random prodigy that surfaces every now and then. Innovations are constantly made, but the engineers who make them are hidden behind the corporations they work for. They still get compensated very well, they just don't get the name recgonition and worldwide acclaim. Odds are you aren't going to find that in any field.

And don't dismiss mathematics so quickly. You don't need to be a theoretical mathematician who sits in front of a chalkboard deriving formulas all day. Especially if you go towards the field of applied mathematics there are many different job opportunities available with excellent compensation.

Example: The job of an actuary. Generally works for an insurance company (but could work for other companies as well) in the field of risk management. To do this you need a bachelor's degree in math or applied math or statistics; No masters, no PhD. The hardest thing is passing the actuarial exams. Those tests get exponentially harder. With each exam however, your paycheck gets higher:

http://www.actuarysalarysurvey.com/

Not bad for a simple bachelor's degree in math, and you don't even have to be a genius at the top of your field either.

Last edited:
Haha the hydrogen gas fission engine is actually a NASA concept for interplanetary propulsion, not generation. It decays heavy metals and heats H2 particles to a ridiculous exit velocity (which makes engine efficiency shoot up).

Now don't get me wrong, my job is boring as all holy hell and is part of the reason why I'd rather go into medicine. My point is that there is a lot that engineers do for the world that people don't realize. Its certainly true that you're going to encounter a lot of genetically smart people out there, and I've certainly run into people who study about a quarter of the time I do and get higher grades.

The OP seems to want to do something because it's fascinating since people usually don't go into aero for the money. Aero has the most starry-eyed naive kids enter it because they wanna be "rocket scientists" though nobody's designed a new rocket in forever (except for boring low-earth-orbit platforms). So many people get hit with this wave of depression when they realize aerospace companies aren't big on hiring new R&D and they have to work for oil and power companites. It becomes just about the money.

IMO, all of medicine, and even the outskirts of medical research and pre-hospital EMS in infinitely more stimulating and rewarding. Medicine isn't so harshly genetically meritocratic as it is work-o-cratic, which gives your life and habits some consistency. In my opinion, everything about medicine is freaking awesome - the insane work ethic, the social interaction (as opposed to cubicle life), the relatively fair competition. Also, girls like doctors more than rocket scientists.

To answer your original question (I am going to ignore the engineer comment b/c it's just so :confused:), you might be hard pressed to really know for sure exactly what you want to do. Part of the challenge is broadening your horizons (college is good for that) and then making a choice and sticking to it. Anonymous strangers on an Internet forum are not going to be able to answer such philosophical question...it's your choice. You should be reassured knowing that you are still too young (no offence meant!) to really know.

Are you just arguing to argue? No, you don't have to go to college. Will your life be easier if you do? Probably. College can give you valuable skills you can use to be a good freelance writer or an indie film director. Plus, it's getting harder and harder to find a good paying job w/o a college (or at least an associate degree), so a college education can help you pay your bills while you are struggling to get started as a writer/director.

You lack the proper context from which to make a decision about your career. It's understandable, since you're still too young to have had enough experience. The world is a frightening place.

However, time is the most important resource you have. More important than money, fame, etc. I would say that you should pick your college wisely, if you don't know what you want to do. Many colleges these days force students to funnel early (in their major), and you'll take a serious "hit" if you choose to not funnel while trying to decide what you want to do. My sister is having this problem right now, at an excellent college. She wants to explore, but she has degree requirements to fulfill.

As a former engineer and now a student at a top med school, I feel duped by society. If I could go back, I would do exactly what I wanted to do, not what was expedient or "practical." In fact, I'm working on switching gears now, slowly.

Many of my classmates would agree that medicine was a good choice but not even close to an optimal one. As such, we hate spending too much time at work/school (which almost all of us have to do, for life, if we stay in this career). We hate the lack of freedom, the thinly-veiled indentured servitude that clinical years and residency embody. Trust me, if you have a family you care about and outside interests you enjoy, a practical career like medicine is the last thing you want to do.

You should only do medicine if you can't be happy doing anything else. Otherwise, it ain't worth it. The financial (and other) returns on your investment will almost certainly not be sufficient, relative to law or business. Hospitals aren't happy places. There's a good, solid reason that that hospital was called "Mount Misery" in Shem's novel. Your ability to do good things for people and your satisfaction will be diluted by absurdly complicated and annoying legal and administrative bureaucracy. What I mean by this is that your high school was almost certainly managed more effectively than med school and the hospitals you work in will be. All kinds of crazy, insane **** will transpire. Your registrar will screw up your grades, sign you up for the wrong classes, etc. But you'll stay, because you worked so insanely hard to get to this point.

The thing is, the medical culture realizes that you have a huge investment in medicine by the time you come to med school. Therefore, they can throw unbelievable amounts of **** at you and you'll stay, when otherwise (if you weren't so invested) you'd leave the first week!