How are Summer break, and other Breaks Treated while in dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TeethandGums

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Like the title states, when you are given time off for summer break, spring break, fall break, or any other break. Are you allowed to enjoy those breaks, or do you have military obligations (which would be considered active duty?) to address? This question pertains to the Navy HPSP and HSCP?

Members don't see this ad.

Like the title states, when you are given time off for summer break, spring break, fall break, or any other break. Are you allowed to enjoy those breaks, or do you have military obligations (which would be considered active duty?) to address? This question pertains to the Navy HPSP and HSCP?

I will answer for Army since they may have the same question. During each year you have 45 days of Active Duty. At these times you have the opportunity to do a 3-6 week externship at an Army dental clinic (your choice on the length - minimum 3 weeks). You could also do Officer Basic if your schedule allowed. There are many advantages to doing the externships i.e. scoping out prospective places you may want to live, check out a residency program, gain insight into what you will be doing for the next several years following graduation, etc... Definately on my "highly encouraged" list.

The Army does not force you, they do not track your school schedule to see if you are able. If you want to you do it, if not you still get paid the 45 days Active.

During the rest of the year (the other 10 1/2 months) - you are considered in the Reserves, so you can do what you want - it's your time.

I can not speak for the new National Guard program (which is similar to the HSCP program - only you are a 2nd Lieutenant) since it is new and as yet untested. Since they place you on active duty, you technically would have to request leave anytime you took time off from the school and did not attend (weekdays, 3-4 day weekends, spring break, vacation back home to see family). However you get 30 days of vacation a year.