ADHD while in HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StarBank

Reaction score
Hello, I am a student on HPSP now. I wanted to take an ADHD test, so I made an appointment already. But I am afraid my scholarship will be canceled if I am diagnosed with ADHD. Would it be better to get tested now? or wait until I graduate, become an active duty, and then get tested? I don't think they will kick me out immediately once I transfer to active duty.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know the implication of this, but they already took you. You're in the military. I think they have to deal with you and any health problems that arise now

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know the implication of this, but they already took you. You're in the military. I think they have to deal with you and any health problems that arise now

I've decided not to take the test as it might risk my career. Thanks for your comment though.

Members don't see this ad :)
If a medical condition makes you unfit for service you can be medically separated. I doubt ADHD would rise to this level, but who knows.

Big Hoss
This is true. On the plus side, if you serve and they med sep you, they have been known to forgive the loans regardless of your obligated service time.

If a medical condition makes you unfit for service you can be medically separated. I doubt ADHD would rise to this level, but who knows.

Big Hoss
Unfortunately it does, especially if on stimulant therapy.

OP, My advice is do NOT take the test, suck it up, and if it is still difficult for you, you can ask to see psych AFTER you are commissioned.

Reactions: 1 user
This is true. On the plus side, if you serve and they med sep you, they have been known to forgive the loans regardless of your obligated service time.
Unfortunately it does, especially if on stimulant therapy.

OP, My advice is do NOT take the test, suck it up, and if it is still difficult for you, you can ask to see psych AFTER you are commissioned.
As long as I am not subject to recoupment of scholarship after commissioning, I think that would be the best option.

Thank you all.