How agonizing is YOUR school's match ceremony?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meuri

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just discussing with my sig other (not in medicine) what we do here at Harvard for our "Match Day Ceremony" - at noon, we line up at the registrar's counter and pick up our envelopes, after which we all go to a class luncheon. He thought it was barbaric; I thought we were getting off easy compared to what I've heard students at other schools have to go through. Am I right? What will your schools force on you on March 20th?

Members don't see this ad.

At my school, the Dean of Student Affairs stands at a podium in the main lecture hall. He calls you individually to the front of the class and asks you to name the program at the top of your Rank Order List. At that point, he will either say, "Yes, congratulations" or "No, you did not match at that program". You keep naming programs further and further down your ROL until you've named the place where you will be training. That way, the whole class will know how far down in your ROL you had to go to match.

Humiliating, yet so exciting!!! I can't wait!

We all gather in a room just before noon. At noon each student gets an envelope with their match result enclosed. Afterwards there is a luncheon/reception. I also hear that there is champagne involved with the opening of envelopes (obviously students take the day off from clinical activities).

When I matched, all that were willing (you could opt out) did this. All our envelopes went into a fishbowl at the front of the room (we rented out a ballroom at a local hotel). After having lunch, the deans pulled out the envelopes one by one and called that person up to the podium. You then dropped a dollar in the fishbowl, opened your envelope and read it out loud to the entire class. Last person to get called kept all the money in the fishbowl (~$150).

Our school does the same thing as surg just said except it's held in our 2nd yr lecture hall.

H&P - that sounds awful. Why on earth would they force you to announce to others how far down you matched?

We all gather in the med school atrium at 11 (noon EST). The deans and several key faculty members line up under signs with A-F, G-K, M-O, P-Q (you get the idea). At 11 they start handing out envelopes and we tear into them. We usually have a brunch before the ceremony at the alumni association. After the ceremony we usually hit a bar near campus. Then, at 6 pm, we go to a nightclub that we rent, where the senior superlatives are awarded (best smile, most likely to keep a pathologist in practice, most likely to keep a personal sexual harassment defense attorney on staff). Then we party it down. Hard.

Next week!!

Originally posted by H&P-Stat
At my school, the Dean of Student Affairs stands at a podium in the main lecture hall. He calls you individually to the front of the class and asks you to name the program at the top of your Rank Order List. At that point, he will either say, "Yes, congratulations" or "No, you did not match at that program". You keep naming programs further and further down your ROL until you've named the place where you will be training. That way, the whole class will know how far down in your ROL you had to go to match
This is complete b.s - please tell me that it is. What about the folks who scramble - do they have to read through their entire list, at the end of which the dean announces "You did not match - ANYWHERE!! Haha!" and the audience all make 'L's' on their foreheads while laughing and pointing?

Originally posted by H&P-Stat
At my school, the Dean of Student Affairs stands at a podium in the main lecture hall. He calls you individually to the front of the class and asks you to name the program at the top of your Rank Order List. At that point, he will either say, "Yes, congratulations" or "No, you did not match at that program". You keep naming programs further and further down your ROL until you've named the place where you will be training. That way, the whole class will know how far down in your ROL you had to go to match.

Humiliating, yet so exciting!!! I can't wait!

You've got to be kidding. PLEASE tell me you're kidding. That's gotta be a huge FERPA violation right there, besides being just nasty.

I don't know to believe anything H&P Stat writes now... but IF what you say is true, it sounds cruel & unusual, but cool at the same time. Yes the people who go unmatched will probably be traumatized and emotionally scarred for life, but the people who match at their #1s will be total badasses! Promise me this H&P Stat--if you match at your #1, you have to raise your clenched fists in triumphant victory, yell "Who's you're daddy!?" to the rest of the class, and proceed to put your Dean in a choke hold and give his head a violent "noogie."

As a Caribbean dud, my "match ceremony" will be me alone at my comp hitting the Refresh button on my browser every few minutes checking my e-mail. I will have a bottle of champagne on my right to celebrate, and my friend Mr. Johnny Walker on my left to console me should I not match.

Good luck to all :cool: .

Originally posted by Meuri
I was just discussing with my sig other (not in medicine) what we do here at Harvard for our "Match Day Ceremony" - at noon, we line up at the registrar's counter and pick up our envelopes, after which we all go to a class luncheon. He thought it was barbaric; I thought we were getting off easy compared to what I've heard students at other schools have to go through. Am I right? What will your schools force on you on March 20th?

At out school, they have people assemble at 11:30, take a class picture, and I guess a couple of administrators jokingly drag out a speech until noon. They then cut a ribbon and you get your envelope off of the table.

My friend at Indiana did the thing where they filled a bedpan with money as each was called up to get their envelope (randomnly) but they put in $5 each. Indiana has a pretty large class, so the last guy got several hundred bucks. He said the next-to-last people were really pissed that they had to wait AND lost the money.

mike

back in 1998 when i was a 4th year at boston university, everyone gathered that morning. we had a class picture done adn then we proceeded to the lounge that had our mailboxes. at the appropriate time, everyone opened their mailboxes at the same time and opened their envelopes. then mass chaos.

it wasn't all that cool for 2 reasons. 1) the room was too small and crwoded so it was difficult to talk to others, and 2)me and about 10 others from my class were military and we had found out 4 months earlier so it wasn't exiciting.

i think it should be done like surg says or a hall and have people called and announce their match (that is how they did it at buffalo for my sister in 1993) but have the option of not going.

this year, however, i am independent applicant and far away from my medical school. i will find out just like dr. cuts said, by hitting refresh on the browser until it is exactly 1pm est and the website allows me to see where i ama going.

again, good luck to all

ps - h&p, i sure hope that is bull!!

Hey Cuts, I hope you have the good stuff on both sides. Like crystal on one side and johny walker blue on the other.

PM/email me after the match let me know how things went.

Regards,
-Vox

Originally posted by Dr. Cuts
I don't know to believe anything H&P Stat writes now... but IF what you say is true, it sounds cruel & unusual, but cool at the same time. Yes the people who go unmatched will probably be traumatized and emotionally scarred for life, but the people who match at their #1s will be total badasses! Promise me this H&P Stat--if you match at your #1, you have to raise your clenched fists in triumphant victory, yell "Who's you're daddy!?" to the rest of the class, and proceed to put your Dean in a choke hold and give his head a violent "noogie."

As a Caribbean dud, my "match ceremony" will be me alone at my comp hitting the Refresh button on my browser every few minutes checking my e-mail. I will have a bottle of champagne on my right to celebrate, and my friend Mr. Johnny Walker on my left to console me should I not match.

Good luck to all :cool: .

Hey Dr. Cuts,

I have read a lot of your posts over the last 6 months or so... You sound like a fun, nice guy. It sucks that you had such a difficult time in the application process for radiology... being a Carib student and all. I *really* hope that you match in radiology and get to drink the champagne man. You have good perspective, and your posts protray you as humble (more so than you probably should be but...). Pplease let us know if you match since I am pulling for you and would love to hear that your Herculean efforts to secure a radiology residency were not in vain.

And IF, you don't match, then don't sweat it too much. Where there's a will, there's a way. Peace.

Cuts:

I, too, hope a match comes your way....

It sounds like that if you were a few hundred miles north, you'd have little to worry about.

That being said, I'm sure you'll be fine - Regardless of what happens in a weeks time, you'll find a way into Rads...

Airborne

Hey guys thanks... I'm touched :).

Celiac: you have a PM

Voxel: I'll definitely let you know bro... and if I match... I'll give you a Hell Yeah then ;)!

Dr. Cuts,
I have to agree with Celiac Plexus and Airborne! If you are even half as hilarious in person as you are here, PD's have to have loved you and it's their loss if they aren't smart enough to rank you high. God knows we need radiologists with personality! Best of luck!

My school has everyone meet at noon, and there are faculty and some administration there. They have wine and cheese, and the local news station always shows up to air it on the news. My roommate was actually caught 2 years ago on film opening his envelope, and seen mouthing the words "Oh, f**k!"...and it was on the evening news. The Dean says a few words...literally...and lets everyone attack the stacks of envelopes in the back of the room. He keeps it short on purpose. Everyone then either drinks and eats, or runs. There are actually some who are required to return to the hospital on this day (a particular rotation that does this every year...boo!). All in all, pretty nice.
-H&P...I echo previous responses in that I really hope that isn't true.
-Dr. Cuts....good luck. I think you're all set.

DR,

Your roommate's situation 2 yrs ago sums up the match in a nutshell! :)

I just about rolled onto the floor laughing when I read this. "And now for our last story on the Channel 2 evening news, we bring you a story of sacrifice, excitement, and new beginnings. As you may know, every March graduating medical students anxiously open envelopes that contain where they will be spending their residency--the most grueling and the final part of their training. Their journey has involved years of debt, study, and sacrifice. For most, the day is one of intense jubilation and excitement, as the untold years of sacrifice has finally paid off. For some, the day brings mixed news: [cut to the picture of DR's roommate opening his envelope and mouthing the words "oh f***."]
Reporting from the university medical school, Debbie Smith, Channel 2 news."

Every so often you guys will write something profound and echo that which all of our collective hearts are thinking and feeling. I love your roommate, bless his bad luck, but here's to hoping that the situation doesn't happen again.

They have wine and cheese, and the local news station always shows up to air it on the news. My roommate was actually caught 2 years ago on film opening his envelope, and seen mouthing the words "Oh, f**k!"...and it was on the evening news.

My friend at Indiana did the thing where they filled a bedpan with money as each was called up to get their envelope (randomnly) but they put in $5 each. Indiana has a pretty large class, so the last guy got several hundred bucks. He said the next-to-last people were really pissed that they had to wait AND lost the money.

....That's b.s. I'm a fourth year at Indiana....only one dollar goes into the fish bowl from each student. And it's been that way ever for at least the last three years that I've been here.

at my school, they've rented out a club.

we check in, they'll hand out the envelopes at 11am (we're in chicago) in "random order", and those who choose to will go up to a mic and read their results (of course w/ the tv cams, etc). each person puts in $5 bucks into the pot, last person gets it all (~170 of us)

we'll have lunch, they'll give out awards like "the Most Gunner" and "Second Thoughts (most likely not to practice medicine)" and "The person most likely to date his/her future medical students", and we'll hopefully all be celebrating w/ lots of booze.

then off to a bar, then off to another bar... you get the idea.

cheers :clap:

Originally posted by Big Lebowski
....That's b.s. I'm a fourth year at Indiana....only one dollar goes into the fish bowl from each student. And it's been that way ever for at least the last three years that I've been here.

(I just had my widom teeth out about an hour ago and am still high, so excuse my abrasiveness.)

Stop being a douchebag. To the best of my recollection, it was $5... but then again, it really doesn't matter now, does it?

That's like me telling you my best friend died and his mom wore her favorite blue dress, and you interrupt me saying "I THOUGHT HER FAVORITE DRESS WAS GREEN.... THAT'S BS."

Piss off.

mike

Hey mikecwru, relax....

Don't take it so personally. I know it doesn't matter...but it was the heart of your original post...so it seemed pretty significant to you, didn't it? You only had five lines typed, three of which were devoted to Indiana and the $5. I just thought I would correct it. So it's not like you green dress analogy. That would be like typing an obit on you best friend who died and devote 3/5 of it to how his/her mother had a favorite green dress.

Sorry I ruined your day...

Originally posted by womansurg
This is complete b.s - please tell me that it is. What about the folks who scramble - do they have to read through their entire list, at the end of which the dean announces "You did not match - ANYWHERE!! Haha!" and the audience all make 'L's' on their foreheads while laughing and pointing?

Oh yes, I forgot to mention the people who scramble. They're not part of the match ceremony. Instead, they're forced to wear a big scarlet "S" on their chests from Black Monday until Match Day. Then, an hour before the ceremony, they're paraded around school where we all take turns screaming, kicking, slapping, and spitting on them for being a disgrace to our school and soiling its reputation.

P.S.
Yes, guys... I am kidding. If you haven't noticed, some of us deal with stress through humor, sarcasm, and lots of alcohol.

Hi there,
At my medical school we have a "Long White Coat" Ceremony that starts at 10am complete with nationally known speaker. When the envelopes arrive, we are given a long white coat with our names and MD behind them plus the Department of whatever specialty that you matched in. We are cloaked by a member of the clinical faculty during that ceremony.

At the end of the cloaking ceremony, we all open our envelopes at the same time. For some it was pretty tearful but for others, it was pretty good. We then go outside and insert a tack with our number in the location on a huge map of the United States where we are doing residency. It was pretty cool day altogether. Some of us had our cell phones ringing off the hook as the calls started coming in and going out.

Seeing that lone thumbtack in the Virginia map was an interesting site. Even Hawaii had more tacks than Virginia.

njbmd:D

Originally posted by njbmd
Hi there,
At my medical school we have a "Long White Coat" Ceremony that starts at 10am complete with nationally known speaker. When the envelopes arrive, we are given a long white coat with our names and MD behind them plus the Department of whatever specialty that you matched in. We are cloaked by a member of the clinical faculty during that ceremony.

It's kind of a neat idea, but doesn't that steal the thunder from graduation?

mike

njbmd,
That is by far the coolest Match day ive heard of. I bet your graduation is beyond pomp and circumstance.

At my med school, we have the choice of opening our envelopes ahead of time before we stand before the news media, family, students, oh well-- half of the world, and acting ecstatic or just pretending to be. Some opt to wait until the official announcement to open the envelope, but others have to be sure that they can handle the results and bust em open in private.

Last year, this one student was really unhappy with the match result and literally cried all the way up to the podium from disappointment. I felt sorry for the person but the whole while was thinking that if u rank it, be prepared to live with it.