How Accurate is Practice MCAT? Also good MCAT strategies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PB&Jam

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN! I recently took a practice MCAT through an MCAT prep course at my school, through e-mcat.com (AAMC practice test). I scored a 516 (128 physical/chemical, 131 CARS, 129 biology/biochem, 128 psych/sociology), which I know is a very good score. I am planning on taking the real exam in the spring, after taking the rest of the prep course. What I'd like to know is, in your experience, how accurately the practice exams (both AAMC and 3rd party) predict real MCAT scores, and if people generally improve or stay the same after taking prep courses. Would also love to hear study strategies, test-taking strategies, and ways to keep your mind from burning out during 7.5 hours of testing.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think they're pretty accurate predictors as long as you don't panic during the actual test. But definitely take more, not only cause averaging the scores will give you a better predictor of your actual score, but they're just really good in terms of prep. I took a ton and it helped me a lot. Ended up scoring higher than most of my practice tests except one.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you put in a lot of effort into the course and are starting with a 516 before the course I would say you can reasonably aim for a 520+. Go kill it

Reactions: 1 user
When I took the MCAT way back when, my final score was dead-on my average for the 3 most recent practice tests. I definitely recommend doing as many of the practice tests as you can get your hands on. Intersperse them throughout your study period to see if you are making progress too.

I think they're pretty accurate predictors as long as you don't panic during the actual test. But definitely take more, not only cause averaging the scores will give you a better predictor of your actual score, but they're just really good in terms of prep. I took a ton and it helped me a lot. Ended up scoring higher than most of my practice tests except one.

Yea, this is accurate

This will give you an idea of how other people did on the practice tests, and how they did on the real test.

Reactions: 2 users
I consistency got ~500 on practice exams, but ended up with 515 on the real deal. For some reason I felt like the practice tests were harder? But my advice is to really hammer those practice exams, make sure to do a few whole ones (in one sitting). I find taking sections of the exam, then reviewing what I got wrong to be helpful. That being said it didn't help my CARS, that stayed at 125, I had no clue how to study for that. Guess my English is ungood.

Edit: I also took and used the KAPLAN materials.

The AAMC practice tests are the only ones worth paying attention to in terms of score. The test company ones are different and require more specific knowledge so it is typical to score lower.

That being said, if you are scoring a 516 with no studying then I would just shore up whatever knowledge you are missing and take the MCAT because it looks like you are one of those very few people who is just a natural for standardized test taking. An enviable skill for a future medical student!

That chart is interesting above, people with 515+ scores did worse on the AAMC Sample than I would have expected. But I think by and large you can chalk al fair amount of that up to
a) Sample Bias: The people who do well are far more likely to post than those who didnt. Likewise, many who did well on the Sample test but not so well on the real deal are less likely to post
b) Alot of those people probably took the AAMC Sample early on in their studying or at least weeks before the real deal. Hence, that score is a less realistic representation of how ready they were come the day they took the test.

The AAMC exams have historically predicted scores well. There just isnt that much data for the new test; what I can say is if the new test is more and more like that section bank then the practice tests are going to lose a fair amount of their predictive value as the section bank is far different than those sample tests.

The AAMC practice tests are the only ones worth paying attention to in terms of score. The test company ones are different and require more specific knowledge so it is typical to score lower.

That being said, if you are scoring a 516 with no studying then I would just shore up whatever knowledge you are missing and take the MCAT because it looks like you are one of those very few people who is just a natural for standardized test taking. An enviable skill for a future medical student!
In that case should I try to take the next possible test, or wait until after I'm done with the semester and my prep course?

In that case should I try to take the next possible test, or wait until after I'm done with the semester and my prep course?

I still think it's dangerous to go in with zero study. You just wont have to commit as much time as other people. Use the AAMC checklist (provided in the Official Guide to the 2015 MCAT available from the AAMC MCAT portal) to guide your study, then go over any topics you feel uncomfortable with. Honestly, you would probably be fine just going in and taking it with a 516 on the scored AAMC practice test (I got a 520 on that practice, took the real thing and they weren't radically different exams. Real thing was slightly harder overall. I haven't received my score back though so maybe I didnt do as well as I think lol) but if I were you, I would play it safe, do my due diligence, put in the effort and try to score 520+ on the real thing. Very possible for you with a 516 starting point, I got to 520 on the practice starting out from like a 505 on my first TPR practice I think.

I found the Kaplan practice tests to be more difficult than the actual test.

As far as preparation is concerned, I went with the ExamKrackers materials - they focus on the core of the material without getting lost in the details. My method was to read through each chapter once and take its associated quiz. I'd follow by rereading the same chapter and taking detailed notes. Lastly, I would review those notes. I did this for each chapter and then saved about two weeks at the end strictly for note memorization. Also, imo the Khan Academy MCAT videos are indispensable when it comes to the Psychology & Sociology section of the test. It was the most comprehensive source on those subjects that I could find by far. Best of luck!

I would definitely finish the prep course, and the next possible test probably won't be for a while anyways since the spots fill fast if I remember correctly. It's to your advantage to score as high as possible, I potentially overstudied for it and could have booked an earlier date but my high score definitely helped open some doors for me. Either way you'll be fine, but I would finish the course if you can and keep doing practice tests.

I would definitely finish the prep course, and the next possible test probably won't be for a while anyways since the spots fill fast if I remember correctly. It's to your advantage to score as high as possible, I potentially overstudied for it and could have booked an earlier date but my high score definitely helped open some doors for me. Either way you'll be fine, but I would finish the course if you can and keep doing practice tests.
I was planning on taking it on one of the May dates. Honestly at that point a week or two earlier or later doesn't matter, but I was wondering if taking it so soon after finals has affected anyone.