Housing and roommates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do you live with a roommate?

• No

• Yes ( with 1 roommate)

• Yes, ( with 1 roommate) but I dislike it

• Yes (with 2-3 roommates)

• Yes, (with 2-3 roommates) but I dislike it

Results are only viewable after voting.

Fedxup

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Happy Holidays to all.
So I'll just get into it. I attended a local university and have been a commuter student throughout undergrad. Next year, I will be moving to a different state to start my medical education. I just wanted to get opinions on housing and have roommates. What has been your experience rooming with someone in medical school or not rooming with someone but wish you did. I imagine the experience to be a little different than rooming with someone in undergrad. How about rooming with a friend (not best friends)? I've been thinking about living by myself but it sounds bad haha. I kind of don't even know what I am asking. I guess just pros and cons of having a roommate besides cost sharing. I'll take all opinions on housing ! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, unless you're married or living at home, I'd live with a roommate. It's cheaper, and if you can find someone in your school that you can study with, its worth it.

Obviously you get the normal cons of having any roommate, like being incompatible in how much you clean or get groceries, etc., but most people I know with roommates in the same school/program are pretty happy.

Reactions: 1 users
I lived with a roommate in undergrad who majored in biomedical engineering. It definitely was fun and he was awesome. The downside was that his workload was a lot less and easy if I may say, so he would always bug me to go somewhere with him. It kind of hurt my grades I guess because it usually occurred right before my exams. This speaks more about my weakness then his but it has been my experience. I am definitely going to go solo, live on campus in a one room studio by myself which has quiet hours and is a dry campus. If i need to see friends it will be on the weekends and after class. Just hoping I don't get those annoying dips**** that smoke pot and play their dam instruments at night when everyone is trying to study.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, unless you're married or living at home, I'd live with a roommate. It's cheaper, and if you can find someone in your school that you can study with, its worth it.

Obviously you get the normal cons of having any roommate, like being incompatible in how much you clean or get groceries, etc., but most people I know with roommates in the same school/program are pretty happy.
I am much more worried about incompatiblity rather than it being cheaper. Medical school is (probably) stressful enough. I am just looking for some insight. Thank you for your thought!

I lived with a roommate in undergrad who majored in biomedical engineering. It definitely was fun and he was awesome. The downside was that his workload was a lot less and easy if I may say, so he would always bug me to go somewhere with him. It kind of hurt my grades I guess because it usually occurred right before my exams. This speaks more about my weakness then his but it has been my experience. I am definitely going to go solo, live on campus in a one room studio by myself which has quiet hours and is a dry campus. If i need to see friends it will be on the weekends and after class. Just hoping I don't get those annoying dips**** that smoke pot and play their dam instruments at night when everyone is trying to study.

I imagine rooming with other medical student you won't have that issue since you will be studying the same thing, exams on the same day but I am also leaning towards living alone. I scared it might get sad haha.

You'll spend plenty of time with classmates at school and can always choose to study at the library with friends. If you're like me and value time alone a solo studio can't be beat, you can control almost everything like (most) noise / cleanliness / study vs. relax time. However I've found it fine living with roommates too to save money and for being more social. You might make more friends initially if you don't live alone. It's a tough decision but I think both ways end up being fine.

I doubt people smoke pot in medical school!

I doubt people smoke pot in medical school!

.......hahahahahahahahahahaaa! :rofl:
That's funny.

I'm not saying that everyone in med school is a stoner, not by a long shot. But I have met quite a few med students who at least experimented with altered states of various sorts, pot being the most common.

I've been living with 1 roommate (same year in med school) throughout med school because it's financially unreasonable to have my own place for the location that I want. We're cordial roommates but generally don't socialize together. Best to find a roommate who has compatible living style (e.g. sleep hours, guests, cleaning, tob/EtOH/other substances, cooking, shared finance for bills).

I'm not in med school yet, but I've never lived with fewer than 2 other people, and usually my house is a small commune. I collect people like crazy cat ladies collect cats, and have had as many as 5-6 roommies at a time.

However, I'm planning on living as much on my own as possible at least at the beginning of medical school. I think it will be a nice change. I figure that it is easier to add roomies if I get lonely than to clear them all out when it turns out that they are irritating and disruptive.

Reactions: 1 user
Where I am headed, If i get the place I want it is about $250 per month difference between living alone versus having a roommate.
I'm more worried about compatibility. It seems to be kind of random what kind of roommate you get, unless you know the person!
As of now I am still leaning towards living alone. Thanks for giving input guys!

Most medical students and residents live by themselves, unless they're in a relationship. I think the advantages outweigh the extra cost.

Reactions: 2 users
I lived with someone The first two years of Med school before I met the girl I would eventually marry. It was nice to have someone to come home to and have someone to vent to or grab a bite with after a long day. Plus my med school roommate and I got voted "cutest bromance couple" by my classmates, so you have that to aspire to.

Reactions: 3 users
I live in campus housing with 3 roommates. Another OMS1, and an OMS3 & OMS4. It's OK, the other 1st year and I have a shared bathroom, he studies at the COM most nights, so I have the place to myself. It's nice to bounce things off of someone, but he doesn't study with anyone. It's helpful if you have roommates, that they are compatible and you work well studying with them.

It's worth it if you find the right one. My roommate is a 10/10 great and accommodating guy. He is also never here so I may be slightly biased by that.

The few people I know in my class who decided to live alone ended up feeling quite lonely. They often moved in with roommates.