Hospitalist Jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I actually ended up interviewing with the hospitalist chief and accepted the verbal job offer.

Northern CA
Hospitalist, 20 shifts per month, each shift only 8 hours, no call
Half the shifts are admitting shifts, average admissions per shift 4-6
The other half are rounding shifts, average rounding census 10 or less
On rounding shifts, it's round and leave. So, you can go home as soon as you're done rounding and tuck your patient's in. Just have to be available for nursing questions etc.
Base 285k, no bonus or incentives
Ample opportunity to also pick up extra shifts
No sign on bonus, relocation 10k
No procedures
Even I feel that the base pay is less.
No sign-on bonus??
You should also consider the high taxes and cost of living in CA.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
The compensation doesn't seem very good for what is essentially a 1.5 FTE job. The number of hours per shift is far less relevant than the number of shifts per month, especially as many traditional 7/7 jobs can be round and go. Let's face it, the vast majority of the work on inpatient services happens in the first 8 hours. You're basically giving them an additional week of work for free.

Bingo! As a hospitalist, I am often done by 1-3pm and I spend the rest of time horsing around. I am home by 6:15pm because we are not allowed to leave before 6pm. I dont see myself working an 8-5pm job M-F anytime soon.

I actually ended up interviewing with the hospitalist chief and accepted the verbal job offer.

Northern CA
Hospitalist, 20 shifts per month, each shift only 8 hours, no call
Half the shifts are admitting shifts, average admissions per shift 4-6
The other half are rounding shifts, average rounding census 10 or less
On rounding shifts, it's round and leave. So, you can go home as soon as you're done rounding and tuck your patient's in. Just have to be available for nursing questions etc.
Base 285k, no bonus or incentives
Ample opportunity to also pick up extra shifts
No sign on bonus, relocation 10k
No procedures
Comes out to about $148 per hour. Pretty good if the census is really around 10 patients per 8-hour rounding shift. Though I wouldn't trust the census they verbally tell you. It might be 10 on a lighter day, but could go up higher during the winter, or if there's some understaffing issue if someone leaves, or if the hospital opens up more beds. And without any RVU bonus you could end up seeing a lot more than 10 patients without any extra pay. And that's only half the shifts for rounding. Having half of your shifts being admitting shifts can be exhausting.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How is this offer? I don't really know much about wRVUs or how they work, reading up on them.

Base 280k
17 shifts per month (9 hour per shift), combination of day admit, swing admit, night admit shifts, and rounding shifts. But majority day shifts & rounding
Productivity per wRVU: $50 (cap 129k)
Quality per wRVU: $20 (cap 25k)
wRVU Annually: 4,170
Sign on bonus: 30k on start, another 30k after 12 months of employment, 60k total
Relocation 10k
Average admissions: 5-7
Average rounding census: 13-16
No procedures
No codes
Location?

Not bad if you can make 50k+ in RVU/productivity (don't know how these things work) and it's not in a bad location.

The only thing I dont like about it, it's the combo rounding, night, swing etc.. If I were you, I would ask them to spell it out in the contract ( eg., how many weeks of swing, night etc...)

Reactions: 1 user
Location?

Not bad if you can make 50k+ in RVU/productivity (don't know how these things work) and it's not in a bad location.

The only thing I dont like about it, it's the combo rounding, night, swing etc.. If I were you, I would ask them to spell it out in the contract ( eg., how many weeks of swing, night etc...)
It's Northern CA

It's 2-3 swing per month and 2-3 nights per month

It's Northern CA

It's 2-3 swing per month and 2-3 nights per month
I would not do it because I am not a night individual. If you are ok working at night, it's an ok offer if you can make 50K+ in RVU/production.

I would ask physicians who are working there now how much they make in RVU/production.

How is this offer? I don't really know much about wRVUs or how they work, reading up on them.

Base 280k
17 shifts per month (9 hour per shift), combination of day admit, swing admit, night admit shifts, and rounding shifts. But majority day shifts & rounding
Sign on bonus: 30k on start, another 30k after 12 months of employment, 60k total
Relocation 10k
No procedures
No codes

Offer doesnt make sense yet as presented. Is there a threshold or are you earning a base + 70/wrvu because if so that is incredible. That will push you to 430+ easily and I would look to cut back shifts so you are doing the minimal amount of free work (ie working over the caps). You would cap out at 2580 wrvu for productivity and 1000 wrvu for quality which is less than part time. Overall seems like a great offering as long as you hit those caps although if you are in the bay area this might be lower middle class because of the astronomical COLA. the 10% state tax hurts too (will bend your number down to 390ish max)

Offer doesnt make sense yet as presented. Is there a threshold or are you earning a base + 70/wrvu because if so that is incredible. That will push you to 430+ easily and I would look to cut back shifts so you are doing the minimal amount of free work (ie working over the caps). You would cap out at 2580 wrvu for productivity and 1000 wrvu for quality which is less than part time. Overall seems like a great offering as long as you hit those caps although if you are in the bay area this might be lower middle class because of the astronomical COLA. the 10% state tax hurts too (will bend your number down to 390ish max)
I'm sure there's a threshold. I will be interviewing with them soon, so I can get all the details about it. This is just what the in-house recruiter sent me. And luckily not in the Bay area

Bingo! As a hospitalist, I am often done by 1-3pm and I spend the rest of time horsing around. I am home by 6:15pm because we are not allowed to leave before 6pm. I dont see myself working an 8-5pm job M-F anytime soon.

What awful system makes you stay in the hospital until 6pm when you're not admitting? Sounds like Kaiser

What awful system makes you stay in the hospital until 6pm when you're not admitting? Sounds like Kaiser
No one likes it and some of us are asking them to change it... It's one of the things I don't like about my job. I get bored sometimes sitting around for 3-4 hrs doing nothing.

No one likes it and some of us are asking them to change it... It's one of the things I don't like about my job. I get bored sometimes sitting around for 3-4 hrs doing nothing.

Of course you'd be bored. I haven't sat around like that since I was a resident (and then, there was always something to work on, an academic project, do some teaching, or just study).

Why do they make you do this? Are you expect to respond to rapid responses and codes?

BTW, was I right, is this the evil Kaiser?!

Of course you'd be bored. I haven't sat around like that since I was a resident (and then, there was always something to work on, an academic project, do some teaching, or just study).

Why do they make you do this? Are you expect to respond to rapid responses and codes?

BTW, was I right, is this the evil Kaiser?!
It's not Keiser.

We have only one physician admitting; the rounding physicians have to admit as well. You don't know when you will be called to admit since it's on a rolling basis.

It's not Keiser.

We have only one physician admitting; the rounding physicians have to admit as well. You don't know when you will be called to admit since it's on a rolling basis.
That makes a little bit more sense. Still, 6 pm is late.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not Keiser.

We had this at an old job. Docs would cover each other in the later part of the day. Worked well, no delay in care, med directors ok with it, etc. then admin got rid of it 😤

Base 280k
Relocation 10k
No procedures
No codes
Closed ICU? Rural or urban/suburban? Metro area size?

If closed ICU and decent location, this looks like a sweet deal to me.

Base hourly pay averages out to 152.5/hr
But what I don’t get is how the wRVU pay works out. Is 4170 the threshold before the wRVU kicks in?

Suppose you hit 5170 wRVU for the year, I assume you would get $50 x 1000 wRVu above the annual threshold.

So $330000 for 1836 hours of work
That’s 180/hr
Include 20K quality bonus, that’s $190/hr

We had this at an old job. Docs would cover each other in the later part of the day. Worked well, no delay in care, med directors ok with it, etc. then admin got rid of it 😤
These freaking bean counters...

Closed ICU? Rural or urban/suburban? Metro area size?

If closed ICU and decent location, this looks like a sweet deal to me.

Base hourly pay averages out to 152.5/hr
But what I don’t get is how the wRVU pay works out. Is 4170 the threshold before the wRVU kicks in?

Suppose you hit 5170 wRVU for the year, I assume you would get $50 x 1000 wRVu above the annual threshold.

So $330000 for 1836 hours of work
That’s 180/hr
Include 20K quality bonus, that’s $190/hr
Closed ICU, really nice suburban area in CA
That's what I'm trying to figure out myself. I'm going to get all the details during my upcoming interview.

Base 280k
Relocation 10k
No procedures
No codes
Pretty solid offer, at least from these numbers. I'm assuming you get paid the wRVUs for any that are above 4170 over a 1 year period (which is a pretty low threshold for 1 year period), and getting $50-70 per wRVU above that is pretty good too. I'm also guessing the extra $20 quality per wRVU will be tied to meeting specific (and sometimes arbitrary) quality metrics set by the facility so you may not always get the full amount. Each encounter on rounding shifts will probably average around 1.7-1.9 wRVUs (depending on how aggressively you're billing in your mix of follow-ups and discharges) and a Level 3 inpatient H&P (those commonly billed for admissions) is 3.86 wRVUs. So if you do 6 admissions in an admitting shift that's 23.16 wRUVs for the shift. And assuming 1.8 wRVUs on average per encounter on your rounding shift and seeing 15 patients, that's 1.8 x 15 = 27 wRVUs. So based on the census they're telling you could probably hit around 5300 wRVUs per year without doing any extra shifts. So that's an extra ~$56-79k per year. So comes out to about $180-190 per hour, which is pretty nice. And if it gets busier than the census numbers they tell you, you at least get a pretty decent additional compensation for your extra work.

The major downsides to the job I see is having to rotate on swing and night shifts, and doing ~204 9-hour shifts (instead of the usual 182 12-hour shifts). You can try asking them to spell out the number of each type of shift in the contract but I suspect they will refuse, and just say the number of swing or night shifts will depend on staffing level and on an equal rotation basis (ie the more full time hospitalists available, the less nights you do). Also having 9-hour shifts is probably their way of squeezing more work per day. Seeing 15-16 patients in a 9 hour shift is doable but will probably take nearly the whole time so you probably finish early on less days (than for example, seeing 20 patients in a 12-hour shift). So while the hourly rate is on the higher end I would also expect it to be busier during those hours. Also, factors like how good the ancillary staffing is, and how much subspecialty support is available will determine how busy it is for a given census.

Last edited:
Some places make you stay in house everyday, even on rounding shifts, for liability reasons (if there were incidents at that hospital in the past). It looks bad for the hospital if there's a critically ill patient and only the RN is there at bedside while the physician is just doing telemedicine by placing orders from home. But even some places can have cross-coverage on a rotating basis for situations like these so not everyone is in-house for the full shift every single day.

Hey…what do you think (or anyone else) about this potential Hospitalist opportunity….
Midsize city in the Midwest
Base pay $205K….hourly rate $110/hr for rounding shift with differential if you do swing/night shift
You can request % of shifts you want (rounding/admitting/night) but the final amount of shifts depends on need for filling other shifts
Open ICU/procedures required
7on - 7 off …No PTO since you get 26 weeks off
There is some quality bonus of $30K. There is also RVU
Co-signing D/C summaries for assigned APP (APPs get assigned to each Hospitalist for a week period)
Any thoughts? Should I even consider it?
Do you see like 5 patients for shift and then just chill?

Cuz otherwise this is sooo bad yikes

How is this offer guys?
Small town in Iowa, I'm an IMG and need J1 waiver.

Base-320K-182 shifts per year.
Quality metrics bonus paid quaterly-20k per year (dont know how this would work out)
Night calls are paid at and additional 225$ per night.
Sign on bonus-12000$
Retention bonus-10000 after one year
Relocation bonus-negotiatible.

What I don't like about this contract is it's in Iowa (state income tax of 10%), not much ability to take on additional shifts, my plan is to do around 220 shifts per year.

How is this offer guys?

Quality metrics bonus paid quaterly-20k per year (dont know how this would work out)
Sign on bonus-12000$

What I don't like about this contract is it's in Iowa (state income tax of 10%), not much ability to take on additional shifts, my plan is to do around 220 shifts per year.
Re "not much ability to take on additional shifts," does that refer to the employer restricting you from external moonlighting or just the fact there may not be that many additional shifts at that particular hospital? Because if it's the former it would be a no go for me. Any time you're not paying me for you have no business telling me what to do or not do.

Re "not much ability to take on additional shifts," does that refer to the employer restricting you from external moonlighting or just the fact there may not be that many additional shifts at that particular hospital? Because if it's the former it would be a no go for me. Any time you're not paying me for you have no business telling me what to do or not do.
Census? Admit volume? Open icu? Need a bit more info

How is this offer guys?

Sign on bonus-12000$

Census? Admit volume daily? Open icu? Need a bit more info

When did more than 14 shifts a month become a thing? I'm seeing it more and more here and on Reddit
Yeah, looks like Big Corporate Medicine is trying to kill 7 on 7 off and force the standard 18-20 workdays a month unto us with red herrings like 10 hour work days or whatever. As if it matters how many hours you are officially slotted for on a rounding service, there is X amount of work to be done when you show up in the morning and the only thing that matters is how big is the Y number of days you have to work in a month. Arbitrarily shortening the day to be less than 12 hours does not reduce the quantity of work you have to perform that day, and certainly does not come close to compensating for having to work additional shifts per month.

Yeah, looks like Big Corporate Medicine is trying to kill 7 on 7 off and force the standard 18-20 workdays a month unto us with red herrings like 10 hour work days or whatever. As if it matters how many hours you are officially slotted for on a rounding service, there is X amount of work to be done when you show up in the morning and the only thing that matters is how big is the Y number of days you have to work in a month. Arbitrarily shortening the day to be less than 12 hours does not reduce the quantity of work you have to perform that day, and certainly does not come close to compensating for having to work additional shifts per month.
When did more than 14 shifts a month become a thing? I'm seeing it more and more here and on Reddit

7 on/off = 26 weeks per year = 182 shifts per year.

Math is hard.

Reactions: 4 users
Most hospitalists truly work 52-56 hrs when they do 7 on 7 off. I will leave medicine if they kill it.

Last edited:
How is this offer guys?

Sign on bonus-12000$

Nights are $225/hour or $225 total?
Sign on and retention are both light for the location

How is this offer guys?

Sign on bonus-12000$

Doesn’t seem bad, esp as a waiver job… what is the census? One or closed icu?
What does night call exactly mean?

External moonlighting is not possible for me since I'm on a Visa. Additional shifts are kinda limited in the hospital coz they are well staffed, so unless someone falls sick or takes leave, I wont get additional shifts.

Nights are $225/hour or $225 total?
Sign on and retention are both light for the location
Yeah need to negotiate that.

Additional 225$ for every night shift done, usually 2-3 per month.

• Wow
Yeah need to negotiate that.

Additional 225$ for every night shift done, usually 2-3 per month.

Lol $225/12 hour shift is $18/hr

It’s almost insulting to have a differential at all at that point.

Anyone know what locums rates are like right now? I've heard crazy stories of people making "3-4k per shift" which would imply at least $250 per hour is possible, somewhere. I'm not sure I believe it's that high, but I would hope you can at least breach $200. Prior to 2020 and this current insane inflationary wave $180/hr seemed to be a fairly common rate. Adjusted for inflation, $180 in 2018 is $210 today lol.

Anyone know what locums rates are like right now? I've heard crazy stories of people making "3-4k per shift" which would imply at least $250 per hour is possible, somewhere. I'm not sure I believe it's that high, but I would hope you can at least breach $200. Prior to 2020 and this current insane inflationary wave $180/hr seemed to be a fairly common rate. Adjusted for inflation, $180 in 2018 is $210 today lol.

I’ve seen as high as $225 for like Kansas

How is this offer guys?

Sign on bonus-12000$

Comes out to $146-155 per hour (depending on how much of the $20k quality bonus you get). Pretty good for a J1 Waiver job as many will have worse terms. Otherwise pay would be slightly low for a job in a small town in Iowa as I assume it's a location that's usually not easy to recruit. If the census is really 16-18 rounding patient's per 12 hr shift that's pretty good as long as there's good subspecialty support. But remember that the census can fluctuate throughout the year for a multitude of factors (some of which the hospital can control and some which they can't). I'm also not a fan of jobs without a RVU productivity bonus, since if the census goes up beyond what they tell you (eg understaffing) you don't get paid anything extra for seeing extra patients, so that's a risk you'll have to take. There's a quality bonus instead which I'm not a fan of as they can be much more subjective since the facility can pretty much set any cutoff they want to meet the goals for the bonus, and many facilities will set them so that it's nearly impossible to get all of it. Also as mentioned pay differential for night shifts is kinda low so might not be worth it to do night shifts (unless they require rotation on nights there).

I doubt anyone will believe me but my current compensation (W2) is $200/hr as a nocturnist and I am NOT locums. Pay has steadily increased for us (based on how long you’ve been here) and I am now at the top of the pay ladder. (My initial pay rate was 145/hr when I began at this job)
Been at this same job for five years, and as you can imagine our turnover is very low given the lucrative bumps we get every year.

Our internal moonlighting rates are often 250/hr and up to 300/hr (if they are desperate enough)

I am happy to name my hospital and show pics of my contract to prove it whenever I early retire…but not gonna be any time soon because of how ****ing well I get paid and how balanced the workload is here (closed icu, typically crosscover handled by midlevel, admit volume is very manageable). Golden handcuffs ftw.

My location is also unbeatable for our pay, i live in the suburbs but it’s a 30ish minute drive to the city center (if no traffic. City is in the top 10 by population in the US)

Reactions: 3 users
I doubt anyone will believe me but my current compensation (W2) is $200/hr as a nocturnist and I am NOT locums. Pay has steadily increased for us (based on how long you’ve been here) and I am now at the top of the pay ladder. (My initial pay rate was 145/hr when I began at this job)
Been at this same job for five years, and as you can imagine our turnover is very low given the lucrative bumps we get every year.

Our internal moonlighting rates are often 250/hr and up to 300/hr (if they are desperate enough)

I am happy to name my hospital and show pics of my contract to prove it whenever I early retire…but not gonna be any time soon because of how ****ing well I get paid and how balanced the workload is here (closed icu, typically crosscover handled by midlevel, admit volume is very manageable). Golden handcuffs ftw.

My location is also unbeatable for our pay, i live in the suburbs but it’s a 30ish minute drive to the city center (if no traffic. City is in the top 10 by population in the US)

South/southeast?

Those are some pretty awesome moonlighting rates.

My main goal for my first year out of residency is to make as much money as humanly possible to get rid of all my debt. I figured locums would be the best way to accomplish this but now I'm wondering whether there can actually be more money to be made in a productivity/RVU scenario in the ideal full time setting.

The way I understand productivity based jobs is that you get a certain $ per RVU over some annual threshold. Let's say you find a job where everyone manages to meet the RVU threshold working the minimally contracted 182 shifts per year. Does that mean that every additional shift you work PRN you are effectively getting paid not just the hourly rate, but also the full RVU bonus for the RVUs you earn during that shift? (assuming each shift, prn or otherwise, has the same exact average # of RVUs). So let's say your hourly rate for the PRN shift is $180 and you have 15 patient encounters with an average RVU of 1.8 per encounter and your bonus is $50/RVU. You'd get a whopping $3600 for that shift.

Is that how it works, or am I completely mistaken? If this is indeed how it works, then it seems like you could find a decent productivity based job where the RVU bonus can be hit in 182 shifts a year and get close to 600k just by picking up an extra 6-8 shifts a month. If each extra shift is netting you over $3500 the money starts adding up fast.

Last edited:
Those are some pretty awesome moonlighting rates.

My main goal for my first year out of residency is to make as much money as humanly possible to get rid of all my debt. I figured locums would be the best way to accomplish this but now I'm wondering whether there can actually be more money to be made in a productivity/RVU scenario in the ideal full time setting.

The way I understand productivity based jobs is that you get a certain $ per RVU over some annual threshold. Let's say you find a job where everyone manages to meet the RVU threshold working the minimally contracted 182 shifts per year. Does that mean that every additional shift you work PRN you are effectively getting paid not just the hourly rate, but also the full RVU bonus for the RVUs you earn during that shift? (assuming each shift, prn or otherwise, has the same exact average # of RVUs). So let's say your hourly rate for the PRN shift is $180 and you have 15 patient encounters with an average RVU of 1.8 per encounter and your bonus is $50/RVU. You'd get a whopping $3600 for that shift.

Is that how it works, or am I completely mistaken? If this is indeed how it works, then it seems like you could find a decent productivity based job where the RVU bonus can be hit in 182 shifts a year and get close to 600k just by picking up an extra 6-8 shifts a month. If each extra shift is netting you over $3500 the money starts adding up fast.
I doubt your extra shifts add to the productivity bonus. Extra shifts likely are paid strictly by the moonlighting shift rate or the quoted “lump sum”.
If an extra shift is $3000 then that is all you get and no productivity is counted.

I missed my calling. Today a GI doc who does locum at my place told me that he got paid 5k/day.

Every 7/7 job I inquired about wasn’t round and go unfortunately. They round robin admissions so you pretty much stay the entire shift until the nocturnist arrives.

From what I was told, on rounding shifts here most attending leave within 3-4 hours, so that sounded great to me. Plus the census is so low.

I guess my group got lucky.
Round and “Go”… but its a “I am running errands, not going home” kind of thing.
Admin knows we go he but we just lie to each other 😏.

Admitter from 10a-10p and another from 7p-7a.
Rarely have to help with admits but since its RVU, they usually don’t want to give those away any way.

I missed my calling. Today a GI doc who does locum at my place told me that he got paid 5k/day.

You can make good $ as a generalist but the real money is in the specialties

GI is notoriously a high paying specialty no matter where you go. if you on NEJM careers in medicine, they start off at like a 600-700 BASE then go up lol

Yeah, but even if you work hard, your cap as a hospitalist might be ~650k while GI can make 1.5 mil.