Hospitalist jobs in SoCal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

k12123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! It’s been so long since I last posted here; I must’ve been a premed at the time. It feels odd, yet comforting to be back in this small community.

I’m now a PGY3 at a large university program in Southern California in the early stages of looking for a job after residency. After going through most of FM training, I realized that I want to do hospital medicine. Being FM trained, I know finding a job as a hospitalist is not the easiest thing to do. Unfortunately for me, going back to do an IM residency is not in the cards.

Is anyone here a hospitalist in the metropolitan SoCal area? How hard was it to find a job? Did you get any pushback? Lastly, any tips on how to approach the job hunt?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Also interested in this.

And is being a FM hospitalist any more difficult in OP’s area than other southwest (non-rural) areas like Vegas or Phoenix? I was looking at job openings in Mesa for hospitalists and especially nocturnists and many of them say FM or IM, but curious if it’s really practical for me to go into FM if I want to do a lot of hospital med.

Hello! It’s been so long since I last posted here; I must’ve been a premed at the time. It feels odd, yet comforting to be back in this small community.

I’m now a PGY3 at a large university program in Southern California in the early stages of looking for a job after residency. After going through most of FM training, I realized that I want to do hospital medicine. Being FM trained, I know finding a job as a hospitalist is not the easiest thing to do. Unfortunately for me, going back to do an IM residency is not in the cards.

Is anyone here a hospitalist in the metropolitan SoCal area? How hard was it to find a job? Did you get any pushback? Lastly, any tips on how to approach the job hunt?

Thank you!
Ventura? I'd imagine that county hospital has FM hospitalists given the reputation of that residency program. You could also try looking into the residency programs in the area as they likely have an inpatient component and probably hire FM trained hospitalists for it.. I'm sure you could find something, but if you want to avoid academic, you might have to travel a little bit away from the center of the cities. Good luck!