Hospital vs Freestanding outpatient therapeutic services

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tryigntopass2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this question may seem silly, but how is a hospital vs freestanding center defined. I'm looking to start work in a new center that is attached to a private hospital, but the cancer center is owned by a larger health system with a hospital 20 miles away? Do you think this would apply as a hospital center even though it may not be billed that way?

Members don't see this ad.

I would guess it will be billed as a hospital center, for rea$on$

Reactions: 5 users
I know this question may seem silly, but how is a hospital vs freestanding center defined. I'm looking to start work in a new center that is attached to a private hospital, but the cancer center is owned by a larger health system with a hospital 20 miles away? Do you think this would apply as a hospital center even though it may not be billed that way?
If the larger health system is hospital based, they are probably billing under HOPPS.

That's how it is defined, by the billing. Not hospital owned means you are billing under the "physician fee schedule" for Medicare

Members don't see this ad :)

In most cases, you would bill your prof through the part B physician fee schedule and the hospital would bill the technical separately. In a freestanding setting, the doctor bills globally for all services through the same fee schedule.

I have occasionally come across situations where the hospital has the lease on a radiation center, but the center is still billed as "freestanding" with the physicians negotiating a FMV cut of the global collections. I have seen this in areas with heavy HMO infiltration where the hospital is unlikely to get business if it bills hospital rates.

Reactions: 1 users