Hopkins vs. Children's National

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eddy2312

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Collective opinion, which program has a stronger Residency program? Any thoughts when considering to rank these two programs?

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Jhu is generally known as the stronger program by reputation (top 10 vs 25ish). National is a good program though, if you have reasons you want to go there I wouldn't hesistate to rank it higher.

Full disclosure. I trained for 8 years in residency/fellowship at Hopkins and am faculty here. I know both programs well and we have matched fellows and hired faculty who trained at both institutions. They are both excellent programs and train outstanding pediatricians.

My impression, as pedslover2017 stated, is that the academic reputation of Hopkins is stronger-- this is a biased view, but there are several awesome components of our program: just a few-
a) Is a separate children's hospital but directly connected to the entire hospital, providing access to all of the academic and clinical opportunities that are a part of the whole institution including the best public health school in the world (across the street). That integration is a key reason I am here now.
b) The autonomy that our residents have with strong support from faculty is second to none in my opinion. I experienced it first-hand and I see how our residents develop into leaders thanks to this approach.
c) New building!
d) Despite the Hopkins name, folks here down-to-earth, always approachable, and have a lot of fun.

Feel free to DM me for any questions.

Take home-- you can't go wrong! Hopefully someone at CNMC can offer their perspective too!

Good luck!