Phoenix children’s picu fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Carolinagirl007

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone shed some light on Phoenix children’s picu fellowship?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Can anyone shed some light on Phoenix children’s picu fellowship? Is it a university program or community program with an affiliation?
I'm not sure what you mean. It is affiliated with a university (University of Arizona) as many children's hospitals are. I'm not aware of any fellowship program that isn't affiliated with a university system.

Phoenix Children's has always been an outlier, mainly because up until about a decade ago there was no medical school in Phoenix. UoA's medical school has always been in Tucson, and then they opened a branch campus in late 2000s. Now the Phoenix campus is an independent entity. Given the residual status as an independent hospital, I think the academic status of the program is very much a grey area. A glance at the UoA-Phoenix College of Medicine page reveals there's no department of pediatrics listed, which suggests to me that the physicians at Phoenix Children's are either employed by the hospital or are private practice groups.

It looks like the pediatrics residency is actually through the community health system (Valleywise, formerly Maricopa Health System).

Clearly though they have something to offer, as both Heidi Dalton and Murray Pollack have gone to the desert in the later years of their careers (though both returned back East subsequently).

I wouldn't let the affiliation or lack thereof deter you from checking them out. At the end of the day, they need to provide you with the framework and resources to complete your academic product and hopeful set you up for some sort of marketable niche. If they have projects or mentors who align with your interests, then it's a fit, if they can't get you from first year fellow to first time attending, then it's not.

Phoenix Children's has always been an outlier, mainly because up until about a decade ago there was no medical school in Phoenix. UoA's medical school has always been in Tucson, and then they opened a branch campus in late 2000s. Now the Phoenix campus is an independent entity. Given the residual status as an independent hospital, I think the academic status of the program is very much a grey area. A glance at the UoA-Phoenix College of Medicine page reveals there's no department of pediatrics listed, which suggests to me that the physicians at Phoenix Children's are either employed by the hospital or are private practice groups.

It looks like the pediatrics residency is actually through the community health system (Valleywise, formerly Maricopa Health System).

Clearly though they have something to offer, as both Heidi Dalton and Murray Pollack have gone to the desert in the later years of their careers (though both returned back East subsequently).

I wouldn't let the affiliation or lack thereof deter you from checking them out. At the end of the day, they need to provide you with the framework and resources to complete your academic product and hopeful set you up for some sort of marketable niche. If they have projects or mentors who align with your interests, then it's a fit, if they can't get you from first year fellow to first time attending, then it's not.
I bet that’s an interesting story…