Hope for Africa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kafui

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there hope for Africa?
Will a time ever come when the 'origin of civilization' will regain the glory and recognition that she deserves?
Will the "international community" ever come to respect the views of Africa in international affairs?
Shall Africa ever have her turn at being a World super power?
Are there enough leaders with vision, purpose and direction in Africa?
These are questions that I constantly ponder over when I dont have to be studing Anatomy , and I guess there are others like me. Could we please share some honest answers to this questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by kafui
Is there hope for Africa?
Will a time ever come when the 'origin of civilization' will regain the glory and recognition that she deserves?

Africa is hope. Only if future radical changes are taken by true visionaries (guess who they are?)-- our children/the youth will we see significant progress.

[qoute]Will the "international community" ever come to respect the views of Africa in international affairs?[/quote]

It depends on what the issues are. but in general the "international community" still doesn't respect a lot of African views let alone African academic credentials. sorry, i'm just pointing out reality.

Shall Africa ever have her turn at being a World super power?

don't hold your breath.super power-dom is mainly dependant upon industrialization. and since Africa isn't united a la the former USSR, USA, etc., the chances of unilateral progress is slim. That's why we get countries with excellent economies bordering with countries that are literally centuries behind progress! So in a nut-shell; No, Africa is never going to be a super power unless she unites....don't count that either.

Are there enough leaders with vision, purpose and direction in Africa?

yes. Unfortunately they are mostly old (e.g, Sheikh Anta Diop, Prof. Mazrui, Dr. Christian Bernard, Ngugi wa Thion'go, Chinua Achebe, et al.) and about 80% of them are here in the US instead of inspiring, and encouraging the youth back home or assuming a liaison position with the rapport they have with the "international community".This[/irl] is a good article on reversing Africa's "brain drain"

you are not the only one with these burdensome questions. like i said in one of my posts concerning this, "to everyone, their own" You're the only one who knows what needs to be done (at the grass root level). one person can't change the world, but he/she sure as hell can improve it for the future generation.

This is the link i was talking about in the above post. hell, just go to google and type "Africa's brain drain" you'll be amazed at the research that has gone into it.

Members don't see this ad :)
interesting topic, i think a lot of people share the views brought up so far, and although i don't think this is the right forum for this discussion, i'll go ahead and share some of my thoughts.

there is definitely hope for africa, i mean the fact that africans like you and lumanyika have even bothered to think about this goes to show that people are not satisfied with africa's current state and desire to change the way things currently are.

so what's stopping us?? well, we're waiting for something to happen, for someone else to stand up and say the things we want said. we are waiting for a leader, take a look at question #5

"Are there enough leaders with vision, purpose and direction in Africa?"

there are millions and not just outside africa but within the continent as well, people like you and me. chinua achebe, cheikh anta diop, men like us, but they were willing to stand for their beliefs.

we gotta take the first step or 50 years from now our kids will be posting the same questions on some chatboard somewhere.

Of course there's hope, there's always hope. If not this world will be one heck of a sad pitiful place to reside in.
I think its up to the many intellectuals from the African continent to help educate the mass and spread the message. WHen you are in a position of power, and speak, people listen.
While a lot of leaders in many African countries might not seem to have the people in mind, I think we shouldnt wait for the govt to do anything before bringing about change. Change is a gradual process and best works from the bottom up. If everyone did a little bit, while not a lot, it'll be a lot more than where we 1st started.
@kafui, whats really good in Accra, I've not had s(c)hito and kenke in ages!
@lumanyika, the name sounds East African, what part are u from?
@Wazobia, naija broda how far?

lotanna, you raise good points. i'm planning on teaching (molecular biology or bioinformatics) when i go back home and try to encourage my future students to invest in mama Afrika. We have such great minds that are in dire need of scientific and technological exposure. Almost half of all highschool graduates in my country do not get the chance to pursue tertiary education. God only knows what intellectual potential lies hidden in those minds...we must find a way to tap that other precious resource of Africa not only diamonds, Titanium and oil.

and to answer you Q lotanna, Yeah, i'm East African. Tanzanian father and Kenyan mother--not to mention that it's a muslim father and a chritstian mother:D (read: freethinking offspring)

I am sorry it has taken this long to get back, I've had a very tight schedule this week.
I am most encouraged by the wisdom of all the replies and it is so good to have others who share my burden and passion.
Lumanyika God greatly bless you for your decision and I agree so much with you when you say "one person can't change the world, but he/she sure as hell can improve it for the future generation"
I believe the hope of Africa lies in education, I think it is the key to our liberation.
Wazobia I'm glad you decided to contribute though you were not certain if this was the right forum.Indeed when I visited the Africa forum it's this sort of topics I was hoping to see. You agree with me that here in Africa a Dr. has such respect and influence, that is part of the reason why I 'm into the medics,to use the influence to aid the liberation of our dear race. I believe talking about our problems is a good place to start getting solutions to them.
Lotana Accra is doing great though things are not that encouraging economically there is so much to be thankful for, I believe we are getting somewhere. I am having kenkey for lunch and you are most welcome;)
Lumanyika I will do well and follow the link

@lumanyika, Jambo :D interesting combination you are.
@kafui, I've not had like ground nut stew, and all that good stuff in ages :( Its sad about the economy, especially since its been that way for a while, take comfort in knowing that your country people are known for their hospitality and good heart.

Lets keep the dream alive people, so many opportunities, start writing up the plan, and in due time, take it into action. Many of our people have been led to leave the continent, thus the huge brain drain. I think we should take this an an opportunity to let our names be knowned, and use that same impact to draw the focus on our countries of origin.

Of course there is hope for Afrika. As kafui stated, that hope lies in education. More specifically hope lies in the opportunity for education.

Opportunities are continually increasing and the more people here are like you who are committed to sharing their knowledge the faster it will progress.

There is an old saying that says, "you can count the number of seeds in an apple, but you can't count the number of apples in a seed."

Great teachers have been planting and will continue to plant these seeds throughout Afrika, and there is no counting the number of brilliant students, teachers, and leaders that will be produced by it.

Afrika is a wellspring of willing minds begging to learn all they can. More and more are realizing their dreams, and those that do realize them will give extraordinary efforts in many different arenas to give aid to those who follow them. They will also set a precedent for their friends and family and especially their children to live up to. This is the hope of Afrika.

Hi everyone,
This is really encouraging to see people who are concerned about africa. I do believe there is hope for Africa, that's our only fuel for trying and asking these questions.
I want to bring light to the International Federation of Medical Students' Association (IFMSA - www.ifmsa.org) for those who may not know about it. This organization has been a great force in the movement of energizing and empowering medical students around the world, including Africa.
Through this organization, we recently started the Ethiopian Medical Students Association (www.emsa-ethiopia.org), which is the first med student organization in the country.
We all have the potential to make contributions similar to this and empower our colleagues, brothers and sisters and enable them to shine and make a difference.

let's keep the discussion going!

I have been forever fascinated with Africa although I am not of African origin. This fascination finally led me to take some time off and go work for the UN in east Africa. My experiences there were very mixed and here are only the first 3 reasons:
1. The continent is blessed with practically every natural resource known to man.
2. Unfortunately, these resources are grossly mismanaged and looted by us (yes us the people living in the west) with the help of ill informed and corrupt local Africans.
3. The UN although has good intentions, is an extremely ineffective authority and body when it comes to African matters.

There are a lot more observations and theories I have regarding Africa from my experience there but I will not divulge them unless asked to do so.

My recommendation: Take lessons from other successful developing nations and not just the developed nations. I am Indian by origin and really shudder when I think if it weren't for a few good decisions made by some people 50 years ago, India would have been worst off than most of the African nations. Now that things are going well for them I hope the government of India would take the responsibility of being a leader among developing nations and pass on some of their strategies to better life in Africa.

Yes, there is hope for Africa. I too am burdened by not only the state of Africa, but the Caribbean as well. For too long our people (people of African origin) have been held back for whatever reason. It is time for us to unite and start making changes. This doesnt begin with our children, or our children's children, it begins with us. I know there are many individuals who want change, and in time it will happen, but we need to formulate a plan and take action. It is not a question of if this will happen, but when. Unification is the key. We must set aside all differences, realize that there will be sacrafices, and not let greed blind our goal as it has so many in the past. I wish I had answers, I only have dreams.

AMMD, i would like to hear your take on Africa's situation based on your experience.
Where in East Africa did you stay?

Members don't see this ad :)
Addis Ababa. Ethiopia. My father also works there at the ECA through the WHO and UNICEF. Unfortunately, I have exams for the next two days, but as soon as that is done, I will post up a few things I from my notes about Africa.

If nothing at all prooves it the discussions are enough evidence that there is hope for us.Askal you may not have the anwers but your dreams may be a good place to start.
I don't know if we can in our generation make all our marvellous dreams come to pass, but I am certain we can initiate something good for those who come after us to build on.
There is hope, the new wave of democracy is an example.
But nothing good comes easy, we must be ready to sacrifice... very big ones. Our own people may not unerstand us initially but our dreams and vision must be strong enough to push us on. there is hope brothers!!!!
AMMD hope you exams went well we awiat your insight.

I must say that I'm touched by this thread. I was not born in africa but my ancestors were. I am an american who was accepted to an african medical school though I do my first 2yrs online. I hope to someday come to some of the refugee camps that my school host and the SNMA host.

I wanted so much to attend medical school in africa, however, finicial situations prohibit this from happening. Until then, I can only go by what I hear. We african-americans have been stripped of our culture and our african languages so I can only imagine what it must be like in africa. I hold dear to my heart that africa can rise up however since I'm not born of that country it is hard for me to understand the difficulty that africans face on a daily basis. I can only go by what I see african american struggle with here in the US.

Thus, yes, I do hope that Africans still have hope. Because if they loose hope then what will us african-american have? African are our blood line. Cut the bloodline and the rest will die.

I went with SNMA www.snma.org and drs for a united med mission www.healingdrumm.org on a med mission trip to Nigeria in March.
I'm from Nigeria, but it was a beautiful experience, so much to learn, so much to give. Compassion remains the best option when treatment isnt available.
There were 23 of us from the states, 10 students, rest docs and nurses, and we collaborated with Prohealth intl in Nigeria, who brought about 60 doctors, optometrists, nurses/dentists.

zinjanthropus said:
Actually, prevention and intervention might be the best treatments, with compassion kind of running through both.

true true, thanks for bringin that up, we even talked about it especially when we did the HIV awareness component!!

We african-americans have been stripped of our culture and our african languages so I can only imagine what it must be like in africa.

Jasminegab "Metsiawo", (means greetings in akan language) rather unfortunately this is somehow true even here in Africa....not too long ago there was a news where some members of parliment ( forgot the country) were refused entry into the parliment house because they were in traditional wear.
They was a time when everything African was regarded as inferior to that from the western world...but I can gladly add that this is gradually changing for the better, at least in my country Ghana. There has been a new revolution in for example the fashion industry where traditional prints are beautifully incorporated with western styles, the same is true for music and there is currently a gorvernment policy aimed at increasing the consumption of our locally grown foods.
Brother Jasminegab there is a lot of hope...you can read and learn as much a possible in your free time about the beautiful and very diverse culture of our land, you can send me a personal mail if you require help I will be more than glad to help."me tsia wo"
Long live Africa.

Beautiful Topic. I am going to take this up in the blackmeds.com forum. Even while I was a teenager, I had some very interesting thoughts on this. It's a question that I have wondered about deeply.

I also dearly love our people, but I am a realist in that we need to correct a lot of things.

Anyway, I will write my thoughts on the issue tomorrow on blackmeds.com. It should spark a lot of debate.

zinjanthropus said:
Actually, prevention and intervention might be the best treatments, with compassion kind of running through both.

You're right, just the way the prevention and especially the intervention is carried out also needs to be checked.