Honest Advice please, resigned from preliminary surgery program due to strong reason? advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Herpangina 24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
a

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I need an advice. An img resigned from preliminary surgery due to strong personal and family reasons. Doesn't get credit for rotations due to early resignation. Now putting future in surgery aside, what are the possible options? Scores in 250s and 240s.

How long ago was the prelim year? How far in were you when you resigned? What specialties are you interested in? Surgery is not likely to take you.

Thank you for your reply. Yes surgery is almost impossible now. 4.5 months of internship. They told me they don't know me well enough to give a good lor. Now tilting towards medicine. I'm doing research as well as observership at a very competitive university hospital.
Sounds like a nice way of saying "we don't have anything good to say, so we are not going to say anything."

I would assume that the lack of a LOR from a training program you spent 4.5 months at is going to be a very prominent red flag on your application and adjust your aspirations accordingly.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Have you resolved your strong personal and family reasons so they don't cost you your second chance? (If you can get one)

sounds like a bad situation. it's concerning that you spent 4.5 months there and they won't provide you with an LOR.

Reactions: 1 user
Im not sure how much it will hurt but it definitely does not help.

There are many prelim programs who would not write a LOR for their residents until they complete the full year.

Obviously i dont know the circumstances of your resignation but the program should still be required to write you a letter documenting your time there, something closer to a mid year evaluation that you can offer to submit as documentation of your time there.